Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Death... death to all... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Death... death to all...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You ever get that urge to rip someone's throat out, if you could only figure out who?

I buy a scanner: it's defective

I buy a laptop: the guy rips me off

I buy a cd burner: it self-destructs

Next thing I know, my PDA will mysteriously develop a leak in its LCD.

I can see no conceivable reason why my Philips CD-RW drive would spontaneously die on me after two weeks of perfect functioning, short of a random transistor death. The computer simply refuses to recognize that the drive contains a disk. The drive also does not read a disk at the time it's placed in the drive, as it usually does.

Anyone got any ideas? 'Cause I'm just THIS close to snapping...

Help.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the disc load? I've had problems with mine, in that I've actually got to hold the CD into place while loading it into the drive.

But that's a physical thing.

(And at least these people are no where near Omega ... altho he probably has their addresses ... and easy access to guns ... )

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember, my problem is that I can't figure out WHO to kill. [Smile]

Does the disc load?

How do you mean, does the disk load? I put it in the tray, and the computer eats it, but it won't read it. If I load the tray empty, the light flashes for a second, and I hear a click. If there IS a disk, it does that several times, with an interval between of a few seconds. This is illogical.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what mine does. Then I hit 'eject' and I see its because the disk isn't in the tray exactly. So I have to hold it in. Real pain.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sympathize with your predicament.

The question I have is who did you buy these things from?

When it comes to interent type purchases, or just a schmoe from some other state, Caveat Emptor should be tatooed to your forehead.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Member # 91

Got the Visioneer scanner from Sam's. Returned it.

Got the laptop from an online classified. Searching for my target now. I would nuke all of NJ, but I wouldn't get my computer that way.

Got the PDA from another online classified, and it's worked perfectly for all of... 36 hours.

Got the CD burner mail-order from a Staples retail store in Kentucky. As I say, a Philips. Good quality.

No pattern to what works and what doesn't.

As for whether it's in the tray or not, that's not applicable. It's either in the tray or it's not, no middle ground with this drive.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in the case of the stores, the general policy is return and YELL very loudly at the poor customer service kid and most other store workers you run into. They love that kind of thing....it is after all the biggest reason why young people get jobs at Staples in the first place.

At the very least yell at the store manager.

And write a letter to corporate headquarters.

And send a letter to Colin Powell just to be complete.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Or just make sure you have your receipt.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Member # 91

Well, in the case of the stores, the general policy is return and YELL very loudly at the poor customer service kid and most other store workers you run into. They love that kind of thing....it is after all the biggest reason why young people get jobs at Staples in the first place.

As I said, if I knew the person at whom I should direct my ire, I would be significantly less frustrated...

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
I buy a cd burner: it self-destructs

quote:
Got the CD burner mail-order from a Staples retail store in Kentucky. As I say, a Philips. Good quality.

Ignoring the contradiction of those two statements, here's what you do:

Take yourself, your receipt, and your CD burner to the local Staples, find the customer service counter and speak to the high schooler behind said counter. When he or she is confused by your long and complex story, demand to see the store manager, forget the long and complex story and just demand:

A) a refund
B) a replacement
C) store credit
D) all the above

Then write a letter to Staples Corporate Headquarters Customer Service, the address of which you will ring out of the store manager, and demand satisfaction becasue of the poor quality of CD Burners sold to you (how could Staples sell such inferior equipment) and demand in the letter:

A) a refund
B) a replacement
C) store credit
D) all the above

Unless your online classified people are part of a business, you are rather out of luck.

Stay away from online classified ads in the future.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Install any new hardware/software lately? I just 'fixed' my grandpa's floppy drive which for some reason had stopped working. Turns out he must've jostled the drive's power cable when he dropped some new memory in there. It should always be this easy...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega this my sound like a stupid question but have you tried more than one disk in your drive, or a disks from another batch of disks. I have noticed that sometimes you get a bad disk and instead of the software saying it's bad or already written on it just says nothing.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Omega
Member # 91

Yup. NO disk, CD-R, CD-RW, or commercial game, that I put in that drive will read.

And I think I'll wait until I get some tech support before I actually return the thing, Jay. That's what I'm looking for here. [Smile]

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know the warranty: 5 Minutes, 5 seconds, or 5 paces, whichever comes first.

Geez Omega, is someone out to get you or something?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take up arms and shoot up Best Buy.
However, leave any mention of me out of your rampage...

--------------------
Meh

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps