Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Death... death to all... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Death... death to all...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy a new system and sell the components of the old one on eBay. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where the hell are you spending �500 for a P3? Mattelles (or a name like that) is selling a motherboard and 1.2gig Athalon for �150. Even if you insist on Intel, a 1 gig P3 is about �80 now, and a motherboard to take it is only another �100. What does the �500 include? Are you having a four week round the world tour to celebrate?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't know how much a � is worth.. my computer was a great deal though

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yowsers that's expensive! my 1.0 gHz t-bird at 1.55 gHz, geforce3 ti-200 at past ti-500 speeds, 384 MB of PC2100 RAM, shuttle ak31A kt266a MOBO, 40 GB 7200 RPM Maxtor hard drive, soundblaster audigy, 8x DVD, globalwin aluminum case with 420 Watt power supply, swiftech mc-370 heatsink with 6000 rpm Papst fan (gonna get rid of that sucker and get an alpha 8045 as soon as i modify my motherboard so the damn alpha behemoth will fit), and about 7 80 to 90 mm fans cost me (AT MOST) $500, but i shopped around a lot and called in favors from people (the heatsink and DVD player were free, i got the case for half price from a friend and the geforce3 was $99 bucks after a 50$ instant and $50 mail-in rebate from best buy). if i had bought the components at online stores (buying OEM stuff) the whole system would have been like $750, maybe. i couldn't even imagine buying a motherboard for 500 pounds.

glad i don't live in the UK, and long live newegg and mwave!

--jacob

p.s. sorry, but i don't get to show of my system much, since a lot of people on the anandtech forums and the [H]ard Forum have sytems equal or better than mine (lots of people, in fact).

p.p.s. Liam, (do you mind if i call you Liam?) it's Athlon, not Athalon

[ January 13, 2002: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...do you mind if i call you Liam?..."

I do. I demand that you call him by something other than his name. Names weren't invented for the purpose of identification, y'know...

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My package, a christmas gift for myself...

Dell Dimension 8200
P-4 1600MHz
256 MB Rambus
40 GB HD
Soundblaster Live
Geforce-3 Ti-200 64 MB
WinXP Home Edition
Lexmark Z53 Color-InkJet

for all of 1250$!
And the beauty of it was that my company buying back my old computer cut the price down almost 60%.

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: G.K Nimrod ]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i built my own this summer, and i recycled everything (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, scanner, printer, cd-rw, cd-rom, 3.5 drive, 2 HDs, video card, 128 mb RAM.. even a 5.25 drive, etc.. so all i bought was a case, a 1.0 ghz athlon chip, a motherboard w integrated sound, additional 128 mb RAM and a power box. I just need a DVD drive and a new video card and my life will be sweet. cost: $375

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may have over-estimated the price by �200. Will be getting a quote on Thursday from a local company to see . . . or maybe two companies.

Last I checked �1 = $1.4, but that was before XMAS.

But anyways . . . from one of the companies I'm looking at - Thunderbird 1400Mhz CPU = �139.83 & P4 2000Mhz = �410.08!!!! [Eek!]

I don't trust mail order and so am limited to local businesses as PC World will want to sell me a whole system at a VERY HIGH PRICE. I shall be shopping around though to make sure I get what I want for as little money.

Anyone is SW Nottinghamshire, England know of a good company? So far its just Special Reserce & SB Computers . . .

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" i couldn't even imagine buying a motherboard for 500 pounds."

Neither could I. That's why I'm wondering what akb is smoking. At worst, computer hardware comes out as �1 = $1, but in his case, �1 is equalling about 5 million pounds.

"from one of the companies I'm looking at - Thunderbird 1400Mhz CPU = �139.83 & P4 2000Mhz = �410.08!!!!"

If you got a slightly slower P4, you'd save a lot. Never get the cutting edge, you pay a premium for it. Get two steps behind. Still, based on those prices, I'd say it's fairly obvious which one to get, before we even get to the sticky point of P4s needing expensive RAMBUS memory (at the moment).

"I don't trust mail order and so am limited to local businesses as PC World will want to sell me a whole system at a VERY HIGH PRICE. I shall be shopping around though to make sure I get what I want for as little money."

Not to criticise, but being paranoid of mail order companies is the same as older people being paranoid of ordering over the phone. It's cheeper, and you save a hell of a lot. As long as you order from a reputable company, you'll be fine. Dabs has been running for years. It's not going to give up it's thousands and thousands of pounds profit just to con you out of a motherboard.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

um, Liam, the pentium 4 has had DDR platforms for months (though it was a maybe unlicensed but maybe legitimate VIA chipset), and Intel has even released their own DDR platform. there is absolutely no possible need to get a pentium 4 with a rambus platform. the SIS 635 chipset and the via p4X266A perform better than the Intel 845-D chipset (which is Intel's DDR version of the original SDR 845 chipset). the 845-D is a little slower than the 850 rambus chipset, the SIS 635 is about the same speed as the rambus, and the quasi sorta maybe illegal p4X266A is faster than the rambus platform.

--jacob

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Ah, cheers. I knew there was going to be a DDR P4 motherboard, but I hadn't seen one yet. Of course, I haven't really been looking (except in the general direction of nVidea wishing they'd get off their bloody arses and just release the nForce already).

--------------------

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

is the UK really behind on computer component releases? i know someone who has had an MSI nForce board for over a month now. in fact, nVidia is on the second revision of the chipset already. personally, though, i like the kt266a chipset by VIA. mine has been perfectly stable, is marginally faster than nForce and is much cheaper. however, VIA is supposed to be realeasing the kt333 chipset which includes AGP 8x and native pc2700 DDR support very soon, so i would wait for that before i bought anything, if i were you. at the very least, the kt333 should push the prices of the kt266a boards even lower.

--jacob

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

It could just be me being really behind on release dates. :)I mainly wanted the nForce because I've only got a TNT 2, and I wanted a new GPU. The built in GeForce 2 MX would tie me over for another year until I could save up enough to get a better one.

--------------------

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

yeah, the geforce2MX would be a nice step up. the only problem with buying right now is the fact that ddr ram prices are high again, relatively speaking. of course the prices are still low historically, but it wasn't that long ago that i got a 256 MB stick of pc2100 for $35.00 US from crucial.com.

--jacob

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One quote:

1 K7S5A
1 Athlon 1600 XP
1 Athlon XP Fan
1 Full Tower ATX Case (grey)
2 256Mb PC133 System Memory
1 64Mb Hercules Geforce Ultra
1 soundblaster live 5.1 oem
1 Invoice & Warranty Terms
Total Price (inc. VAT & Delivery to mainland �673.64

Might cut the Ram down, but this appears to be far more expensive than I had thought and more so than another company that I'm looking at! Can things get any worse?

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps