Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » For Better or for Worse... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: For Better or for Worse...
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...I'm officially a U.S. citizen as of today. Waited in the long lines and went through the interview and changed my name (pushed my Chinese name to the middle and added 'Diane' to the front). Have to get sworn in before I can vote, though.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm terribly sorry. [Wink]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat!

Though I thought this was going to be a thread about melodramatic Canadian comic strips.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UM: Thank you.

--------------------

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, why are you a Middle American now? You were an Upper American before, you were not?

And, could you have chosen any name ever? I've always wondered how people with ethnic names choose their Americanized names. I once knew a natural Mohammed Abdi who went by 'Steve'.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, Ziyal... umm... I guess Diane, now. [Wink]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ziyal, I mean Diane, congratulations. Vote independent.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally would have kept the Chinese first name; it adds distinction. My first name is Datshon (dot-sun) which I unofficially shorten to Dat as it helps people pronounce my name much easier. I still keep Datshon though. Still congrats to you Diane.

Funny, my middle name is Joseph and people have on occasion called me that or Joe. I could have been Joseph Datshon, and sometimes I find that to be a little better.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Neat!

Though I thought this was going to be a thread about melodramatic Canadian comic strips.

*SMACKS Sol System*

Quiet, you.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

UM: Middle? Upper? What are you talking about?
And there is no hard and fast rule to choosing an English name. If one's ethnic name sounds close to an English one, one usually picks that. Mine doesn't, so I picked whatever I wanted. To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of Diane after ten years, but then that's how everyone knows me and there isn't really another name I'm that attached to.

Dat: I've always been known as Diane since I came here. My Chinese name is Yinyi, and frankly, it sounds weird if you don't pronounce it the Chinese way, so I'd rather people not pronounce it at all (besides family of course).

[ March 23, 2002, 10:29: Message edited by: Tora Ziyal ]

--------------------

Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats and don't get caught up with the political parties in this country. They do bad things to one's mind. [Big Grin]

[ March 23, 2002, 10:39: Message edited by: Flower Man ]

IP: Logged
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

You make it sound like I just got off the plane. [Smile]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe UM's references to "upper" and "middle" America were supposed to denote Canada and the US, respectively.

And, interestingly enough, I didn't know you weren't already American, or that Diane wasn't really your name...

Member # 239

*touches nose*
Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats.

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps