Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I have grown up (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I have grown up
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read many of my previous posts, prior to leaving this board for several months, and I have noticed that the way I write and the way I speak is totally different then it was a year and a half ago. When I read some of my posts I realized that I wrote like I was new to Trek.

Maybe it was my girlfriend or even I really did matured now that I am 18.

I even look at things differently now then I did back then. I look now at why people posts such things and generally ignore useless posts. Where back then I now could tell I took offense at any post directly at me negatively or postively.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
18 sure is the age of complete maturation, though, I'll tell yah.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...or even I really did matured now..."

Well, you grammar either hasn't matured, or it's so mature that it's going senile. :-)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get thee to a sleazy strip bar. Now.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you mean a stripclub? Anyway, it's natural that people grow up and you might not notice until someone points it out. That or read stuff you wrote from the past and you'll see a difference.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, you grammar either hasn't matured, or it's so mature that it's going senile. :-)

Only Tim could point out someone's grammar and make a mistake himself. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no grammatical mistakes in my sentence. A typo, yes, but complaining about things that are obviously typos is even beyond me.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were hloding you to that!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you mean "taht"?
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of course, going by my writings, i have grown steadily younger for the past four years.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've been here for a few years. The only thing different about my writing style seems to be that the exhuberance of my youth seems to have swung to the side of extreme cynicism. I shudder as I read some of the things I wrote in the early threads of the Officers' Lounge.

I think the only thing that has really changed is my venturing out of the Officers' Lounge and actually joining into debates. In the past year, I've actually been heavily involved in the more hard and heavy Trek forums. Hell, I even got the nerve to post something of my own creative energy into the Designs and Creativity forum. I participate in the forum contests, and sometimes (albeit rarely) post something in the General Sci-Fi and Star Wars forums. I tend to stay out of the Flameboard, though.

So, other than really where I post, nothing else seems to be much different about my posting style. I just get yelled at a lot more often.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know some people gage how smart someone is how they handle their own language. For instance you won't think somone is smart if they talk like if they are half retarted and half drunk but they are not.

However to make a simple mistake as trying to explain that being just 18 explains that I have matured is another.

One simple note: I have noticed that older people point out mistakes and not younger ones. I was on a DBZ board (yes I am a fan of that Anime) and those fans make Trekkies (Trekkers) look like normal people. Through their constant screaming of "Filler Is Evil" and "Freiza is Gay" they will never point out your mistakes. They are between the ages of 13 to 22 years old. I guess its because they know they make mistakes as well. Makes you think what is inside the heads of people who like to point out mistakes, huh?

[ April 01, 2002, 15:56: Message edited by: Matrix ]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then, all you need do is find yourself a Trek board where they don't mind your spelling/grammar/punctuation, and fuck off there sharpish. Try TrekBBS. 8)

Kidding. Speaking as an oldie, I think that we've always been used to having a certain level of proficiency with the English language demonstrated round here. Therefore when we see people who don't write English very well, we usually make a joke of it (because many of the mistakes are often quite funny). Most of the time the perpetrator soon learns we're not being (too) cruel, and often improves over time. Others get in a huff and leave; good riddance.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would point out that we're usually harsh at those "mistakes" because we have many members who learned English as a second language and are more proficient then those for whom its their first (and most times, only).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think using a DBZ board as a comparison is fair. Those places are full of mad, crazy scary people who like to eat live pigs. The only way to escape is to agree that even a word change to a dub instantly renders it worse than Satan's shit while slowly walking backwards. Saying "Kamehameha" in a girls voice also helps.

"Anyway, it's natural that people grow up"

Thank god we've got you around to fill us in on these fascinating biological facts Mickey. Without you I'm sure this place would be full of young men running around screaming "Why do I have hair in new places! And why do I want to rub myself against the TV when bumpy-chest creature appears on it?"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps