Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Record Breaking? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Record Breaking?
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past few days, we have been getting alot of people all at once, for instance the about of visitors at one point was set today at 70 people. I remember the record back in Feb. was only 40-something.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

The BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Shoowhee!
Man, I hope not all of them sign up. It's already hard to know who to tell not to AOL kidde speak and all that.

EDIT: Right now it's at 72, 20 more than the old record.

[ June 14, 2002, 13:50: Message edited by: The BWC ]

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't go whining about newbies, BWC. You are one.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One question, what makes the newbie? The amount of posts he makes? The amount of time he spends here? Or the maturity level? If its the maturirty level, then I can name a few here that has been here since the beginning and has over 5,000 posts or more that acts like that.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

The BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
If you find out tell me.
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be quiet, BWC.

Matrix, let's just hope it's *not* coherency with typed English, because if it is you shall always be a newbie.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good thing it's not big-headedness, either.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you come in out of the cold acting like a goddamned mental defective, jabbering nonsense like a broken fortune telling machine, and you think it's, like, a total blast that nobody understands you, you're a newbie.

Now, from time to time everybody does that here. The difference with the so-called veterans is that there are moments of clarity as well, where people can actually decipher what you're talking about.

It may be a coldly reasoned piece on phaser design, or witty joke about video taping midgets having anal sex, but people get it.

This criteria excludes the immortal UM, who, even in PMs, only makes sense when talking Star Wars, and possibly olympic hockey. At which times his logic centers apparently kick in, and his reasoning prowess is said to equal Kant himself.

ON the other hand...I'm still a newbie myself. Don't listen to me.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit that's how I felt when my favorite newsgroups became too popular a few years ago and AOL people adapted to them. At first I felt like the majority of the readers were intelligent and good conversationalists, but then came all the usenet spam and such. Now all it's good for is reading old archives, trolling Ultima groups, and getting binaries.

[ June 14, 2002, 15:17: Message edited by: DeadCujo ]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New people coming to a board ain't a bad thing. But, I don't go to a new forum and start spouting off heinous gibberish, or randomly insulting people just because i'm anonymous, eh?

If I don't do it, why do they? Pet Peeve, you know?

The other thing I hate: When somebody on a site writes a review of a movie or something, and then has an open forum for people to talk about what he wrote...and you see forty fucking people using every low brow gutter trash insult they can think up to tear the writer apart...it ticks me off.

I've been that poor sap doing the reviews. It's not the name calling that gets to you: No, it's the fact that they posted for no reason but to talk garbage at you for doing something they WISH they could do.

Why is it everytime somebody tries to do something creative publicly somebody has to tear them down? You ever been to a stand up comedian that's bombing? There is ALWAYS some fucking chucklehead that has to shout inept insults at the comedian. These minor fuckwits are the Vandals of our day, and I'm sick of 'em.

Eh, end of ridiculous tangent.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, the faceless/nameless nature of the Internet allows a lot of people the means to out in such outlandish ways that would likely make little old ladies weep and faint if that behavior were done in public. In short, some people act like total jackasses on the Web because they can hide behind his or her username and the cloak of secrecy. It's the perfect opportunity for some people to act no better and no more mature than elementary school bullies.

I wish that more of the people using the Internet to socialize would be mindful of the civility that God, Goddess, Wombat, or happenstance gave them. Just because you are online and possibly hundreds of miles away from someone is no excuse to rip into people for status or their work. And ragging on someone to death for their writing style (no matter how atrocious it may be) at every conceivable turn for the sake of being an ass is just blatant pettiness and an exercise in ego inflation.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. After all, you may not know the person you're insulting but he may figure out who you are because he may know someone who knows you're screen name or email address or something to put the face to the online ID. No one is totally anonymous when online because there's always someone who knows who you really are.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking about what constitutes a newbie, really. I'd say it's when you actually gain the respect and acceptance of the other regulars, and it's difficult to quantify - i.e. when it happens. I remember when Jeff B (Snay as he's calling himself right now) was new. Now he's one of the old hands.

Problem is, you then have to decide what makes an old hand. Especially since new ones are appearing all the time, and there's a steady attrition of the originals. Most of the present old hands weren't even newbies when I first appeared, and many appeared wheile I was away for a year. How do they know that I'm, in effect, a 'made' man, and don't work themselves into a fit of righteous indignation because I've just gone and (usually) insulted someone, bearing in mind they never saw me in my heyday when I bestrode these Forums like a colossus? 8)

I assume they've seen that for the most part people just ignore me and decide to do the same. Me, I don't let any of it bother me and just go on about my business!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

I understand that personally I do not type great because I actually can not type that well. So if I try to type fast or under pressure I get really sloppy. When that happens I usually do not have the time to check my spelling and grammer.

But it has occured to me that typos happen to everyone. Spelling errors happen just as often because if they didn't then there would be no point in using the spelling check on Word or Claris, now would there.

Now thoughtychops does have a point. The sterotypical newbie phrase "I LKEI AKIKRA CALSS BEUSAE it is SO cKOOL. mr. jAGITTY IS FUNKING BIRLIANT. MI MOFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That my friends is a true newbie. Not a newbie to the board, not a newbie to Star Trek culture but to culture itself.

Edit: Vogon, you are 21 dasy more newbie than I am, but have over 5 times the posts I have. So technically it isn't about having more or less or being here the longest that makes you a newbie or regular.

[ June 14, 2002, 18:07: Message edited by: Matrix ]

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Matrix,

Lee was here since the beginning, he just chose to re-register for a wide variety of reasons. So he's actually much "older" then you to the tune of 21 days ...

My problem with your typing is you tend to leave out key words. In our recent spate of PMs, you on several occasions left out the word "don't" or "not" ... which was very confusing, because I was trying to convince you that you-know-who was you-know-who, and you kept PMing me back that you agreed with me! And then I'm PM you back to thank you for agreeing with me, and you'd PM me back saying "uh, no, forgot a word ..."

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps