Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Record Breaking? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Record Breaking?
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snay...post who, exactly? Sorry, but with your comments about typing, you should help set an example.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His "fiancee" ... who do you think, his sheep? [Big Grin]
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Jeff just likes to side-step his way around offering any sort of explanation on what exactly a "newbie" is, I'll try my hand at it.

A newbie is, basically, someone who is new to an online community. How long this person is considered a newbie depends on many factors, the most important of which is whether others members of that community are feeling elitist.

I don't think that anyone who has participated at Flare long enough to be a senior member can accurately be called a newbie. For god's sake, that's a minimum of 250 posts right there. That already a lot of interaction and learning the ropes, especially with a community this size.

Some people don't judge the status of "newbie" on post numbers; some base it on length of time participating. I think that if one participates regularly enough in this forum for about a month, that person cannot be rightly called a "newbie." This is all based on my experiences with about five different message boards (although I just lurk on the other four).

Somewhat related to this "acting like a newbie." This includes things like random postings in the middle of a serious discussion, exaggerating or out and out lying about one's background, using AOL kiddie/1337 typings, harrassing other posters, turning a blind eye towards forum protocols, or acting with little or no maturity.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Like in the middle of the old DS9 Tech Manual Kitbash Ships topic posting:

---

Hi AlL u PpL i"m KiTtY pRiNcEsS
pLz DoN'T bAsH mE :@ 1!1
My WeBsItE iS www.virtualave.com/kitty13/index.html!1!
pLz ViSiT iT1!

kItTy PrInCeSs!1

---

Like that?
(That made me sick ...)

IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's more an example of a spammer. That's usually got a person who registers for the sole purpose of plugging his or her website. They have no interest in actually participating in the discussions. Kinda a similar is a troll. That's a person who registers for the sole purpose of causing problems and acting like a jerk (usually using newbie-ish tactics like the AOL kiddie typing you cited).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who throw the word "newbie" around also have a tendancy to be either arrogant, or a bit insecure in their own "mature" status.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
BWC, http://www.virtualave.com/kitty13/index.html!1! fockin rules, man! everyone should put that in their bookmarks, because that's my sister! thanks for showing letting everyone know, n00b.

to kinda answer the question, i don't think that post counts mean anything. i have thousands of posts at some forums, but most of the posts are questions, so i am still a newbie when it comes to the subject those forums are about. you would never know that if you just saw my postcounts, though. its just mentality that determines a n00b. the only thing i can say is that, generally, you know a newbie when you see one.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm really sick of this.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps