Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I'm back (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I'm back
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a AME (Aviation Structural Mechanic, Saftey Equipment. My A school is in Pensacola, Floria. It's a 2 month course in whcih I will get a total of 23 college credits.

No one in my family is or was in the Navy. I didn't join because of Star Trek. In fact it was my interest in the Navy that attracted me to Star Trek.

Yes there are females. I was never in an integrated division. After looking at these females, you get what they call Ricky Vision. Which means you'll end up going to an acne face, fat, ugly girl thinking she's hot. I haven't yet. But I am strangely attracted to the Air Force chicks.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Or are they ordered to do it right away (It's not like this is the coldwar anymore) wouldn't they want to confirm such an order?
Andrew,

In the movie, after partially recieving a message that seems to order the ship to fire her nukes, the sub (USS Alabama) comes under attack from a rogue Russian sub, and the communications bouy is damaged, resulting in: a) they don't get the entire transmission, and b) they can't confirm the transmission to begin with. The tension is between the CO (Hackan) and the XO (Washington).

The CO wants to treat the last order as valid and fire his missiles, even though if the situation has calmed down, this act would provoke a nuclear war.

The XO does not want to fire if they cannot confirm the order. His arguement is that there are other US missile subs capable of carrying out the order in the event that the Alabama does not.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
quote:
wouldn't they have some sort of 'build' up that they would be aware of to the descision to use a Nuke?
Dude, in the movie you are referring to, Russian terrorists (Nationalists or Communist hard-liners, I forget) had siezed a Russian nuclear missile base and were threatening to launch the site's missiles at the US.

I think that qualifies as a tension-inducing build-up.

OK, forgot about that - I just thought it was set during the Cold War.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, thanks Snay too - it's been a while since I saw that movie. What was it even called again?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crimson Tide.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Thanks. Was that a Michael Crichton novel or something?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Nope.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps