Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Major Computer PROBLEMS! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Major Computer PROBLEMS!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have Microsoft broken my computer!?!

Hi, I sat down and turned on my computer this afternoon and found it was getting to the XP
logo screen with the green bar and then just starting again - i.e. a new start up.

I promptly rang my computer "supplier" when it happened about 3-4 times. He finished my
sentence when I explained what was happening. He said thirty people have already rang him
today about it. It's the XP - update the new one. I downloaded and installed it last night (the
bloody program basically forces you to do it with it's alerts and what-not).

So that was done. And now this afternoon my computer is a usless paperweight..

I did try to start it in safe mode and do a system recovery there - but it didn't "work" - i.e. it
wouldn't accept it and now when I try to get back into safe mode - it just like the other options
goes to a black screen

GAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!

The guy said (as he tried to lead me through to the screen where you can choose a previous
'good' version) - that because that technique didn't work - that I'll have to take it in. And it's a big job - it'll be about 3-4 hours. Now he didn't mention price - but I'm assuming that I will have to pay him. Why should I have to pay him when I got the computer only in october. And
I FOLLOWED what the program/Microsoft wanted me to do. It should be Microsoft fixing it
for me - or re-embursing me the repair costs!!

He said I wouldn't loose my data - as he'll use a ghost screen - or what ever.

I hope this is correct and can be promptly fixed on Monday. (Think of all the businesses this will effect).

I'm using my P133 to type this. Lucky I still had it.

GRRR.

Can anyone help?

I don't know anyone who can help - and I tried RINGING Microsoft, here in Australia and
they are closed on a weekend!

Thanks

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all... automatic updates are NOT mandatory. If you don't like them, either kill the update service and download everything yourself, or reconfigure it to act less paranoid. Simple as that.

If you have a bootable XP cd and your BIOS supports the option (which I assume it does), you can reinstall Windows on top of the FUBARed version without losing any of your data. If the cd isn't bootable, you'll need an XP bootdisk to access the cd-rom drive and manually enter the setup process.

Otherwise, ghosting the thing is your only viable alternative.

One last thing. Once you've got the machine up and running again, navigate to control panel --> performance/maintenance --> system --> advanced --> startup/recovery and disable "reboot on system error". Fun may then commence.

[ December 14, 2002, 11:14: Message edited by: E. Cartman ]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman, do you have ICQ? I'm sending you my ICQ# via pm, please give me a ring. Thanks.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trust Microsoft to screw up a security update... [Razz]

I read a report about that notice yesterday, it got their highest alert rating, IIRC. And with them practically requiring everyone to install the update, they end up screwing up all of their clients.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank god, that in this case, I'm still using Win 98.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah? Thank goodness I'm using Mac OS X! [Wink]

(Ahem. Sorry...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thank God I'm on Windows ME...no, wait scratch that. I hate ME.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto Trimm, but at least you and I have a OP that still works - say, do you have trouble shutting down too?

Well, well. Microsoft screws it up again - nice one: another nail in the coffin that will somehow never appear.

Bad luck AndrewR - hope everything gets fixed and that you don't lose all your data.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny. I don't have any problems with XP - it doesn't 'make' me update anything. Then again, the fact that you're using Home might have something to do with it (the green loading bar).

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My girlfriend didn't mention any problems with her laptop. It runs XP Home. I'm still using good, solid, reliable 2000 Pro myself.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the wanker who was working on my computer at the store said it was ok to stop a ghosting halfway through. He neglected to tell me that he had a message saying the partition was weak and the ghosting was taking place sector by sector. Got it home - cause microsucks phone support said they could advise me how to fix the problem for free over the phone. Turn on computer - errors!! They got me to try a few things - basically did nothing - they said take it back.

Took it back to the store - they said that they had so many computers to fix that they couldn't look at it for a few days. Told them about the errors - i coerced out of the dick who did my computer that i had errors - did he get them... "no, oh yes I got some notice and a screen I hadn't seen before..."

When I took it back the guy said that microsoft must have advised me incorrectly - wrong.

So Microsoft denied any wrong-doing - as did the computer store. Got a phone call the next day saying that all the data had been wiped. ARRRGH!

So I still had to pay them $75 to get the windows reinstalled and the updates installed etc. They didn't even put all the other programs on like they did the first time around. I asked them to transfer my old files from my old computer - "Oh, no - we can't do anything like that until after Christmas". Yeah, Thanks.

So bought aNOTHER network card for the NEW computer (already put one on the old one when I got my new computer a few months ago). Got a cross-over cable.

Now have a nice little network set up.

Transferred my files across.

So in summary - this is a nice big FUCK YOU Microsoft - for fucking my computer, loosing my data, and $130 bucks worth of hardware and labour.

Bastards.

Andrew

P.S. Windows feels different to me atm - I don't know if it is just my mind playing tricks on me but is there any settings that the Computer shop might have forgotten to set when they reinstalled Windows that would have a detriment to it's operating/internet speed?

Thanks

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...it was ok to stop a ghosting halfway through."

My knowledge of Ghost is quite limited, but this sounds rather untrue.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Funny. I don't have any problems with XP - it doesn't 'make' me update anything. Then again, the fact that you're using Home might have something to do with it (the green loading bar).

XP by default has the "Automatically scan for and download updates" setting turned on on most installations, I believe, both Home and Pro. Now, obviously you should turn this off and do it yourself, but I can see their logic. A large majority of people still have an Outlook Express that's vunerable to the Klez virus simply because in 4 years they've never visited Windows Update. It's a lose-lose situation.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are operating systems that don't say "Microsoft" anywhere on them, you know.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they have evil, scary things like "command lines".
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps