Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Major Computer PROBLEMS! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Major Computer PROBLEMS!
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

HELP! HELP!

I just switched my PC on and it said that my CPU value had changed - go to CMOS and restort default value. When it finally let me boot up, it said that my printer port was a new hardware device but quietly foound all the necessary files.

WTF does all this mean and why did it do it? Why now? I haven't installed any new hardware/software (except a re-installation of my printer files when it went silly around XMAS Day). Anyone have anything really helpful for this un-technical person who is very frustrated and worried with his PC? [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

Cheers

-AK

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my advice would usually be:

If it's working, then don't worry about it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. [Razz]

Given my experience with the two PCs that I've owned, you'll have to forgive me for not being satisfied with that reply. [Smile]

The guy I bought it from asked if I have an AMD processor. Why did he ask that? Is it significant and should I be worried? It's an Intel one, incase you were wondering.

Anyway, I've had it with PCs - I intend (after my exams and while I hunt for a job) to get some books and learn about the machine I'm using. Apart from switching it on, loading and un-loading stuff, I know not what I be using.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I just switched my PC on and it said that my CPU value had changed - go to CMOS and restort default value."

It's a long shot, but the CMOS battery might be nearing the end of its life. DON'T PANIC, they are replaceable.

"When it finally let me boot up, it said that my printer port was a new hardware device but quietly foound all the necessary files. I haven't installed any new hardware/software (except a re-installation of my printer files when it went silly around XMAS Day)"

This is normal behaviour, if you didn't reboot after installing the printer software.

"The guy I bought it from asked if I have an AMD processor."

Erh? He sold you his hardware but didn't know the type of CPU that came with it?

"Is it significant and should I be worried?"

Maybe and maybe. I'll need a little more to work with here...

akb1979
Member # 557

Name it and you'll have it.

CMOS battery dying after 12 months? Is that possible?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was a bad one to begin with, sure.
akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Just go into the bios and reset it, possibly caused by a power surge, do you have a surge protector fitted?
What the guy (that I bought it from) said.

Well, it's working now, so I'm just gonna wait until my last exam finishes on the 18th before deleting anything I don't want to save/use and then back everything up for safety. I can't believe that it's been one year since I backed My Documents up! [Eek!] I'm a bad, bad boy! [Wink]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps