Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Major Computer PROBLEMS! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Major Computer PROBLEMS!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, quite true. My point is, though, that if someone has really been so abused by Microsoft (and I don't doubt that many, many people have), there are other options.

If I were serious about my data, rather than just a poseur, I would scrounge together a second computer, it needn't be top of the line, toss Linux on it, and do all of my real work there, while keeping the higher-end machine running Windows so that I might continue to play games.

Unfortunately, I am not serious about my data, I don't even do backups, and am virtually assured of future disappointment. But, I'm just saying, the option is there.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
There are operating systems that don't say "Microsoft" anywhere on them, you know.

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
But they have evil, scary things like "command lines".

It's called Mac OS X. And it doesn't have a command line interface unless you want to use it.

Apple does have a "Software Update" feature that automatically checks for updates, but it NEVER actually installs the updates until you tell it to. (I checked, there isn't even a preference that I could find that would have the program run any installers without direct authorization.)

One of the things that any computer geeks might find interesting is that the latest version of OS X includes journaling capabilities. They're not explicitly set up for the desktop version of OS X (as opposed to OS X Server, which is slightly different), but it can be enabled by users and is supposed to provide a greater level of data security for hard drives.

I'm not a big game person like some people, but I've very rarely regretted the fact that companies offer delayed support for the Mac. I still have (or will get) all of the games that I'm currently interested in, with the only exception being the "Starfleet Command" games. From my perspective, for a personal computer the availability of games is the only thing that the Windows platform really has over the Mac these days (for the interests of people who visit this forum, anyway).

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People keep listing how wonderful Mac operating systems are. And no matter how hard I try to listen, I always find trying to touch my nose with my tongue much more interesting that actually reading the thread.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't care; fine. [Smile]

But I mention that here because there are some people out there getting shafted by Microsoft, and I thought they could be aware of some of the alternatives.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most other operating systems can be installed onto the computer one already has that came with a Microsoft product. Using OS X would require an investment of another $1000 or so to buy the Mac itself.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Maybe so. [Smile]

But I've never heard of a problem where a Mac's hard drive got consumed because of an automatic update... the simple fact is that from my experience, Macs are a hell of a lot more reliable.

Individual mileage may vary, of course. But that's no reason for me to just sit in the proverbial corner if I've got something to say, right?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't doubt that Macs are more reliable. I do suspect though that because they are a bit of a niche machine (so to speak), the average user is likely to be fairly intelligent, whereas I'm sure the average Windows user is an idiot.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure that is actually valid. I've worked at various places with Mac users that were no more technically literate than an average computer user w/ any other OS. They did however tend to be able to do more things more easily using Mac OS (that was in the "classic" era).

I've recently purchased my first Mac in some time (ibook) which, these days, runs the Unix based OS X. I'm 95% convinced that the move to Unix was a good choice for Apple and I'm 100% convinced that buying an OS from the same company that put your hardware together is a good idea - i.e. no driver issues, no incompatibility issues, etc.

Tech support also actually seems to be an option w/ Apple.

In short - for now I'm not planning to buy anything other than Apple computers for home/home office use. It runs everything I need, there are many more games available than I'll ever play, they are cheap to buy (cheap enough for me anyhow, ~$1000 for an entry level box w/ monitor) and they actually work. They are however, computers so they do in fact have the odd problem now and again - they certainly aren't perfect.

Somewhat more interesting than funny tongue tricks, at least if I'm all by myself....

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I do suspect though that because they are a bit of a niche machine (so to speak), the average user is likely to be fairly intelligent, whereas I'm sure the average Windows user is an idiot.

I don't know for certain if this is true, but I read somewhere that Bill Gates actually bought an iMac for his mother because they were easier to use -- and specifically said that she doesn't call him with computer questions as often anymore. [Wink]

This anecdote does sound like an urban legend, but I've seen the story quoted in several serious lists of Mac stories... so who knows?

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sincerely doubt it (Mrs. Gates the Elder is like a titanic powerhouse. I doubt she needs anyone to buy her computers.) But, even if it is true, why is it surprising? He owns, what, five percent of the company? Not to mention never having made the titanic mistake of uniting his software to propriatary hardware.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Toadkiller:
I'm not sure that is actually valid. I've worked at various places with Mac users that were no more technically literate than an average computer user w/ any other OS.

I think you overestimate the average computer user. I'm not talking about people who know how to defrag their computer. I'm not talking about people who use them at work. I'm talking about the families where the son has to do everything because the parents don't even know how to shut the thing down.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Hmm... that's a good point. I haven't actually seen them sitting down at one yet, but my grandparents were recently talking about the computers that were recently donated to the apartment complex where they live. They apparently went to a couple of classes about basic computer operations. I love them dearly, but the thought of teaching a bunch of eighty-year-old people how to point-and-click is kind of terrifying to consider.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

My parents have gone to several classes over the past half a year, and yet whenever my Dad writes a letter, he does it in a tiny window because he can't quite grasp the "maximise" button. So I point it out to him. He uses it. Great, we all say. Next day, he's back in the small window. Or a window half off the edge of the screen. Or...

And I refuse to believe that the Mac is so amazingly user-friendly that it has a significantly easier way of doing that.

In short, old people are rubbish at everything ever.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
And I refuse to believe that the Mac is so amazingly user-friendly that it has a significantly easier way of doing that.

Can't argue with that. [Smile]

I do know that my (other) grandfather has had his own computer for as long as I can remember. But then, he worked for GE back in the 60's and did work for NASA, so he was accustomed to computers anyway. (But he uses a Mac at home!)

My dad also had very little computer experience when we got our first computer in 1992 or 93. He got it mainly for his business, but I remember all sorts of interesting episodes in the early years.

But you're right -- for the people who are completely computer-illiterate, a lot of the details are probably the same between Macs and Windows. Although I can guarantee that the current Mac systems make maintenance a whole lot easier than what I've seen on a Windows machine...

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah, the horrors of telling them to right-click and they write "click".

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps