Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Special release of senior Al-Qaeda leader (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Special release of senior Al-Qaeda leader
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just say that its typical of Ford design and build quality. [Smile]
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol,

F-16's don't fly from carriers.

And they do this from time to time, rigging objects to the catapults and launching them. Small cars are a favorite. Though how they manage to hook the automobile to the catapult without ripping the undercarriage off is beyond me.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
car = tangible object

"An F-14 weighs TWENTY-FIVE times that much?! No way Jose!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another joke making the rounds...
quote:
Saddam's body doubles were gathered last week having lunch. One of the top generals came into the room, and announced "For you, I have some good news, and some bad news."

The good news he said, was that Saddam had survived the bombing of his palace.

"What's the bad news?" asked one of the body doubles.

The general replied, "He lost a leg."

[Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure it's photoshopped. Looks like there's evidence of a clone stamp work around the car.

And yeah, I'm also highly skeptical that you could hook up a small car to one of those things, fire it off, and not scatter chunks of it across the flight deck.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cats are set by weight. When they first test them after installation, they uses a small flatbed cart that weighs a ton or so & shoot it off the bow. Don't you guys ever watch Discovery Channel?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm, that line sounded a lot more interesting from "Today's Active Topics". Launching cats off carriers is just so much more mundane [Wink]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, gosh, my snarky reply wasn't technically accurate. OH NO! It is impossible for me to be snarky about that.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom, I'm 99% sure it's completely legit. Why else would they have the entire crew standing on the flight deck. Doing that with a real jet wouldn't be smart, with the jet exhaust and all.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've done it before. It's a fairly common event on carriers, as far as shooting autmobiles with steam catapults off the bow of large naval vessels can be considered common.

And Sol, it would've been quite easy to make that snarky, with a Nixpicking reference of some kind.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, now I'm confused about who is talking about whom.

Crews gather on the deck for other things. Photoshop is a deft tool in the hands of some, so there's nothing saying that "aircraft carrier crew stand on deck" image and "catapult in action" image were taken together.

At the same time, if I had an aircraft carrier, I would so be shooting all kinds of things off the catapult. So, who knows.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would the crew be huddled behind the catapults for any other reason but to watch the catapults?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of all of this conjecture and speculation, why don't we simply ask Wraith where he got the picture. I mean, the worst case scenario is that he got it from a random email....in which case we'd still have lost nothing. But hopefully, he'd have some real insight on the origins of this *cat* launching picture.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, now that would be significantly more interesting. Where can we get a picture of them launching a cat?
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Instead of all of this conjecture and speculation, why don't we simply ask Wraith where he got the picture. I mean, the worst case scenario is that he got it from a random email....in which case we'd still have lost nothing. But hopefully, he'd have some real insight on the origins of this *cat* launching picture.

Worst case scenario, I'm afraid [Big Grin] . To be honest, I'd assumed it was photoshopped as well, but I can't offer any 'real insight'. Maybe we should e-mail the US Navy [Big Grin] .
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps