Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Civilization III: Play the World (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Civilization III: Play the World
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I'm resurrecting a dead topic. Krenim bad.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering buying Civ III with Play the World. Other than Jay, does anybody else have Play the World? I find the idea of playing on a planet where the other leaders are Flare forum-goers very interesting...

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krenim, you might want to wait a few days. They're just coming out with Civ III: Conquests, a new expansion pack which includes some awesome-looking scenarios (the titular "conquests" of the game), including The Fall of Rome, Ancient Central America, and World War II in the Pacific.

I'm not certain if C3:C has the multiplayer capability included, but I'm pretty sure that it does include all the other features -- the extra civilizations, the additional units, and so forth. You should probably double-check before you buy.

Here's a pretty good place to look, that I've visited on occasion: CivFanatics.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what I meant was I plan to get Civilization III: Gold Edition, which is Civ III and Play the World together. I've played Civ I and II, and really enjoyed them both.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm, a Flare smite-fest. Sounds interesting.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a pyjamas party instead? A flare mite-fest!
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

I got Civ III Gold last night, and I must say I'm impressed. The concept of borders is probably the best new idea. I hated when rival civilizations would found new cities right next to mine in Civ II, so that fixes that. They also toned down my favorite Wonder: Leonardo's Workshop. That's a good thing, since I found that building Leo's Shop first pretty much assured me total victory.

The multiplayer options sound interesting. Alas, I doubt I have the time to play an entire game online, but I suppose that's what the e-mail game function is for.

So... Who wants a royal smiting? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be up for a game...after December 4th.

The GRE looms.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Resurrecting an old topic yet again...

I bought Civilization III: Conquests tonight. It includes Play The World and adds 15 new cultures (Arabs, Byzantines, Carthaginians, Celts, Hittities, Incans, Koreans, Mayans, Mongols, Netherlands, Ottomans, Portugal, Scandanavians, Spanish, and Sumeria), new world wonders, new weapons, and of course the 9 scenarios (Mesopotamia, Rise of Rome, Fall of Rome, Middle Ages, Mesoamerica, Age of Discovery, Sengoku, Napoleonic Europe, and World War II in the Pacific).

So, now that I have PTW, and hopefully more of you have it, who wants to start nuking each other? I'm probably crap but I'd at least like to try...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

Sounds good to me. Sometime in the next few days would be ideal, as I have the computer all to myself until a few days after New Year's.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

So, who all has the game in question and would be available to have the smack down put on them by me? [Wink]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

I think it might just be the three of us, considering how this thread's been dead twice thus far. Still, it would be nice to have more. After all, what's the fun in playing Civilization without enough civilizations to backstab?

Wait, did I say backstab? I meant ally with. Really.

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got DSL so I'm really itching to play an online game.

Do you guys have Conquests though? Or just original Civ with PTW?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

I just have Civ III Gold Edition, which was Civ III with Play the World. If I understand correctly, this just means that anyone who plays an online game with me cannot use a Conquests civilization.

--------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Maybe, but Conquests also adds new kinds of units and stuff for every civilization...

I'm just not sure if people who have Conquests can play against people who just have Civ3.

Kind of like you can't play Starcraft against Starcraft Brood Wars.

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

http://www.civ3.com/conq_faq.cfm#faqs7

That settles that, I think.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps