Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » AUGH! I don't want to be a web developer! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: AUGH! I don't want to be a web developer!
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, I don't. Once upon a time, I gave it serious thought. Of course, that was back in the days when I thought the <blink> and <marquee> tags were the coolest thing since America Online 3.0. Now, I don't know what the hell I want to do with my MIS degree when I graduate, but I do know this: I don't want to be a web developer!

**bangs head repeatedly on his desk before cramming some more knowledge into his worthless brain**

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Web designer is, like, at the bottom of a very long list of occupations that MIS degree grants access to.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really just having fits about the MIS class I'm taking this semester. It's the program's weed-out and gateway class. Most MIS students change majors because of this class; everyone has to pass this class to go on to the senior level MIS classes. I'm really not feeling the love from it right now. It's three weeks until the midterm and I don't feel like I know enough to pass it based on my performance on the old copies of the exams.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the class?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

The class is called Transactional Processing I. Provided I pass this class this semester, I get to take part two in the spring (which I've been told is a lot easier).

The bulk of the class is client-side web development. HTML, JavaScript, and VBScript are the core of the course, although we also spend a good amount of time on Java applets, CSS, and XML. In addition, we hit the very basics of ASP, ADO, cgi, PERL, PHP, and DHTML.

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh, DHTML. My old nemesis...
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and here I thought that was Jeff....

My friend went from a wanna ba web designer to a router tech for XO, with XO providing the schooling, and makes good money....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ever so glad that I stick with the design side of web development. I'll design you a cool looking, well organized, professional site... but I couldn't code my way out of a plastic bag.

Dreamweaver is my friend.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's actually the sad aspect. Somebody with Dreamweaver or Frontpage can whip-out a slick-looking web page inna couple days and get the job (for less money then a qualified professional), while an actual schooled professional is still learning how to do it the long way, expecting a top dollar job.. making the same results. I know, that's cynical and a professional can do a lot more, but.. here's the story:

A Highschool friend of mine went a little off the deep end and after getting a BS in Theology, he ran off to find God in Heroin and dissapeared for a decade. LAST YEAR, a mutual friend found him (homeless and scruffy) and cleaned him up, and him Dreamweaver. Within a few months, he got a $50K job, designing web pages. He doesn't know diddly and constantly calls and emails with questions, but he's turning-out results.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Designing webpages? Or churning out cookie cutter crap? There's a difference. I can't code, but working with a programmer, I can still produce a better designed site than an addict with no design skills who learned Dreamweaver. There's a difference between a qualified web site designer and a qualified web site developer.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I had an epiphany last night doing massive amounts of samples on building forms and getting VBScript and JavaScript to play nice with them. I think I may actually somewhat kinda sorta understand that at the moment.

I've played around with Frontpage and Dreamweaver before; I didn't really like them too much for reasons I can't put into words very well. **shrug** With time and some frustration, I can get pretty okay looking webpages churned out. The graphics work I completely suck at, but I'm fortunate that my grade in this class isn't based on my artwork.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, a simple answer to you is: Then don't.

I've played with Dreamweaver and FrontPage, and liked Dreamweaver far, far better. Cleaner coding by far.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Live, anyone?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notepad.
Omega
Member # 91

How Microsoft has justified bundling that sorry excuse for a text editor with Windows for a decade now is beyond me. Doesn't even do word wrap properly. Get Metapad.

Of course, if you intend to do any actual coding, Crimson Editor is, like, cool.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps