Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Three in a row (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Three in a row
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should this be taken to private messages/e-mail?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it should be taken to private messages/email. Right now it seems Omega is asking if there's anything wrong and going by what's been said before, he strongly believes there isn't anything wrong with his approach. Which then begs the question of why he bothered to ask in the first place.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come on. There's a difference between Omega being thick-headed, and First Of Two being pig-headed. Dear Stephen here may appear to be unconvinced by the arguments, but he's always been like that. And he now admits that the young earth theory MAY be wrong, and that Bush isn't ALWAYS right. If we keep on like this, we may have him having sex outside of marriage before he's 40.

Besides, I'm sure he's had this conversation via private message with several people, all of whom are equally rubbish when it comes to relationships. Apart from me. I rock.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which then begs the question of why he bothered to ask in the first place.

Ask? I didn't post this thread to ask anything, I posted it to whine! [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Besides, I'm sure he's had this conversation via private message with several people, all of whom are equally rubbish when it comes to relationships. Apart from me. I rock."

As evidenced:

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Liam, if Omega wants to abstain from sex outside of marriage, I say that's his choice. Trying to pursuade him otherwise is akin to his pursuading us NOT to have sex. Besides, I'm sure forces of nature does the pursuading just fine on its own.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm..... I cant really speak for anyone but myself, but part of my own problem in my case is that I loved (part of me always will and I'm stuck with that) the person she was.
Dont get me wrong, I'm EXTREMELY physically attracted to her as well- she's bueatiful- but it wasnt just libido.
I dont think "being her friend" would ever be enough for me and mabye it's best that we arent still in touch.

When she was practically married, I could more easily accept that there was no chance...and I'll have to do that now as well, I suppose.
Yet,this woman is my first love and all others are measured (and found wanting) by comparison.

On a side note, Dr. bashier was right: Vic's little speach (and the "Here's to the Losers" song) does make me feel a bit better.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that Stephen is a rather confused young man who doesn't know what he wants. I think if most of us were to assume what he wants, based on our knowledge of Omega's background and upbringing, it'd be something along the lines of "close friendship with a nice Christian girl of similar age, leading to exclusive and chaste dating leading to marriage. Then rumnpy."

I suppose such a thing is possible even in today's licentious moral climate. Recently I saw two programmes in as many weeks about the spread of True Love Waits-style pacts or covenants. One was called the Silver Ring Thing, I seem to recall. Run by some Reverend who seemed genuinely concerned about the youth of America having a proper Christian upbringing (the attempts to dig up dirt on opposing speakers at debates on sexual education in schools notwithstanding) - until right at the end when he revealed that he believes the Rapture etc. was gonna happen anyday soon and just so long as his own daughters were still virgins when it did, then he'd be happy. . .

But I digress. Those programmes apart, I get the impression that while it's possible to have the kind of relationship mentioned in the above first paragraph, it's not as easy as it used to be. But while the route the rest of us have chosen - OK some of us, anyway - of having however many partners we like until we find the right one - might be considered a lot more fun, I'd say it probably wasn't any easier for us to find that special someone. All it guaranteed is that come my wedding night, I knew what I was doing in the bedroom department, thank you very much.

(for all the good it did me - we were both far too exhausted from the day to do anything apart from fall asleep - and we had an early flight to Mexico the next day)

One of my friends from school actually married another Christian and they were both virgins on their wedding night. He managed this by being a bit of a nerd, and marrying someone ten years younger than him. My best man was his best man, and he apparently did give the Groom some tips in advance. Didn't get any feedback after the fact, though - apart from an enigmatic smile. Huh, that's gratitude for you!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If we keep on like this, we may have him having sex outside of marriage before he's 40."

I wouldn't bet on it. B)

"I didn't post this thread to ask anything, I posted it to whine!"

Well, you obviously expected feedback of some sort, like "aw, you poor boy, we sympathize with you for being puked out like a smelly hairball" (except we don't, of course, so that'd have been a bald-faced lie) or "come on, there's bound to be SOMEONE out there who'll like and appreciate you for who you are, so hold off on the rope for now" (even in Tennessee, which fought on the side of the Confederacy, the odds couldn't be that bad) or "hey, it sucks that you don't seem to suit any girl within a five-hundred mile radius of your home, but we know that can't have anything to do with you or your methods because you're such a swell guy and so open to ideas from others", but ultimately, whining about your adversities in love (to a less-than-wholly receptive crowd) won't do you or us any good. Where did you think this thread would go, anyway?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to repeat what Psyliam mentioned, in the off chance that Omega missed it.

If you approach every girl with the deliberate, calculating attitude of trying to visualize your mutual relationship in 5-10 years it gets counter-productive.
You can pre-dump a person on the most vain and petty grounds, all the while convinving yourself that you "knew it wasn't going to work anyway".

The mind often thinks it has everything covered but you just don't know beforehand.

Using a horrible allegory from Eisenhower, "No battle plan has ever survived the first shot fired in the battle".

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tennessee fought for the South?! Oh, somewhere, Mountain Man is rolling in his grave. . .

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if most of us were to assume what he wants, based on our knowledge of Omega's background and upbringing, it'd be something along the lines of "close friendship with a nice Christian girl of similar age, leading to exclusive and chaste dating leading to marriage. Then rumnpy."

Hey, you're catching on.

As for my desires for where the thread went, I didn't much care. I was venting. How people responded was pretty well irrelevant.

Lee
Member # 393

So, that is what you think you want?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Tora Ziyal:
You know, Liam, if Omega wants to abstain from sex outside of marriage, I say that's his choice. Trying to pursuade him otherwise is akin to his pursuading us NOT to have sex. Besides, I'm sure forces of nature does the pursuading just fine on its own.

I wasn't trying to persuade him. I just love providing counter-arguments. Often what I post isn't what I think, it's merely designed to provoke the other person into arguing back, which will cause them to think about their own position in their mind.

I don't mind if people have different opinions from me, as long as they can say why they have them.

And I really should delete some of those uploaded photos.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps