Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Messenger Service Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Messenger Service Question
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya all!

I've recently upgraded to Win XP Home and have this annoying little problem. A little message box titled "Messenger Service" keeps popping up when I am on-line. I have a picture to show with it on, but can't upload. [Frown] Anyone know about this and how to stop it as it's really bugging me and my sister as she's got this problem on her laptop.

Cheers! [Big Grin]
-AK

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should be related to Outlook, that much I can say. Maybe some preference in Outlook or the messenger-part of "Internet Options" has some feature or box to be disabled/unchecked.
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get ZoneAlarm, and don't let them convince you the payware one is better, because it isn't.
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you really "up"grade to XP Home?

Just asking.....

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Oh YEEEEEEEEEEES!

deadcujo - my sister and I thank you from the heart of our bottoms! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

This has been pissing us off from day one, deadcujo, you are our saviour!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:-D

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet you didn't even bother looking at ZoneAlarm, did you? When your system gets its ass hacked, don't come crying here and expecting sympathy...
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw..
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this isn't totally on topic - but security was mentioned... i've just got ADSL - and I'm sick of trying to download the last four episodes of Enterprise over Kazaa - so I'm trying bittorrent. Is this safe to use?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

akb1979
Member # 557

OK Charles, what's ZoneAlarm do that I need?

I have Norton SystemWorks and Firewall 2004 and keep them regularly updated - aren't they enough?

--------------------

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I know this isn't totally on topic - but security was mentioned... i've just got ADSL - and I'm sick of trying to download the last four episodes of Enterprise over Kazaa - so I'm trying bittorrent. Is this safe to use?

For Goodness sakes NO - you might actually get them!
Charles Capps
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

Norton sucks ten levels of ass. If it was doing its job properly, no systems would be allowed to contact the Messenger Service on your system in the first place.

The ONLY things Norton makes nowadays that don't blow dead bear are Ghost and the AntiVirus package.

Their "firewall" does nothing that switching to ZoneAlarm (free) and Firefox (free) won't protect you from anyway.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have ZoneAlarm installed in my laptop and I love it. Talk about helping control freaks become more controling. But what is Firefox? Is it another firewall program?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Nim
Member # 205

I have Bullguard (paid-for) and it has killed every diseased mail and popup for six months now, and it doesn't talk to Messenger, nor does it drain memory or screw up gaming.

At my office we use F-Secure, very effective but it is too expensive as a single-license for me to want to get at home, it's not worth it.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps