Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » All your Mac are belong to us! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: All your Mac are belong to us!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/444/aymabtu.jpg

Okay, yesterday I installed Virtual PC with Windows XP Pro on my beloved iBook (after I "borrowed" the install CD from my dad's collection). The main reason that I installed the software was because I wanted to test some websites (especially mine) using Windows software, to make sure that they appeared properly.

I've got a few questions that I'd like to ask about running Windows. I'm not looking for ultra-detailed answers, because this is really just something that I'm going to run on an occasional basis, nothing more. I know I could probably find these answers elsewhere, but I'm quite literally starting at square one as far as information with Windows goes. I've got literally no experience with setting up and running my own Windows machine.
  1. After a half an hour digging around in the damned thing's control panel preferences, I finally found out where to activate the firewall. I know that I'd end up catching a virus inside of ten minutes otherwise! (I kept my Internet connection off while searching for the firewall, and didn't turn it back on until after I'd activated it.) But what I'd like to know is, what other security features should I look for? Since I'm running through VPC, I've got the Windows firewall, my Mac's firewall, plus the cable modem and the family's router all between Windows and the Internet. Is that enough to provide sufficient security for occasional use? (I won't be using Windows for e-mail or anything on the Internet aside from browsing.)
  2. Can I install multiple versions of Internet Explorer on Windows? In addition to MSIE 6, I'd like to be able to run versions 5 and 5.5 on the system, so I can check the website in those browsers as well.
  3. Is there a way to turn off the annoying animations and fancy graphics in Windows? The stuff like the animated puppy while running the search really eats up memory and processor time, especially while I'm running it through the emulator. 'Twould be nice to be able to turn those things off.
  4. Where's the control panel for the appearance of Windows? I'd like to be able to get rid of the awful "My First Windows" appearance and switch to the more traditional (though square and simple) theme.
I think that's about it for now. I might come up with other questions later on. Thanks for your help!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Yes. XP is not THAT leaky (though, granted, far from waterproof), despite what you may have heard.

2) Yes, but I don't think you'd be willing to submit yourself to THAT much torture. B)

3) Yes. To kill the puppy, open the search dialog, click "change preferences", and then on "without an animated screen character". Presto. For everything else, TweakUI is your friend.

4) You want either StyleXP to change the kiddy theme yourself, or Service Pack 1 which resets XP's look to "classic" for you. Alternatively, either right-click on your desktop, hit the Appearance tab, and then select "Windows Classic" from the Windows and Buttons menu, OR right-click on My Computer, then on Manage, then on Services and Applications, and then disable the "Themes" service altogether (which saves more memory).

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent. Thanks a bunch! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looky here. Beating XP into submission in 200 million easy steps.

Talking about unneeded clutter and resource-hoggers, I can't help but notice the large amount of icons in your Maccy taskbar thingy..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Talking about unneeded clutter and resource-hoggers, I can't help but notice the large amount of icons in your Maccy taskbar thingy..

Yeah, that would be the Dock. It may look like clutter, but it's not as bad as it looks, because when you hover the cursor over each icon, it shows the name of the item in question. And there's some organization, too -- applications go on the left, and documents on the right. It's sort of like the "Start" menu, but combined with the bottom bar in Windows where all the open windows are listed.

Hmm, I never realized just how many icons I've fit into that little Dock... But I've never had a problem with it because of the easy association with the different icons (as I use them). It's very useful.

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like the default XP settings either, so you're not alone on that one. The Start menu is always the first to change. As well as changing the Control Panel to match the classic one so stuff is easier to find.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phfff -

I put MY dock on the left, man what's up with you?

[Smile]

Just to add some (off-topic) content - new iPhoto update out today....

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if we're making semi-random desktop comments...

I hate the way that XP stacks similar taskbar applications by default. Hate it. The new start menu is much nicer though. And the chunky look is fine if you change the colour scheme to silver.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh I like the chunky Start button menus. I know at FIRST it was a little annoying - but now when I go back (on another computer) that has 'classic' style set - I don't like it at all.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then I download a bunch of useless shit like WindowBlinds to apply skins to Windows. Right now I'm using a MS Longhorn build 4051 skin. Changed the logon screen to a Department of Defense logon, new icons....

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I seem to have ended up agreeing with Andrew. Oh dear.

The old style does seem really...old though. Old, or "I am far too cool to use chunky Windows buttons" which is an argument that shoots itself in the foot the moment it is said.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I am far too cool to use chunky Windows buttons.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AND FAR TOO CHUNKY TO USE COOL WINDOWS BUTTONS
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Told you.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps