Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » All your Mac are belong to us! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: All your Mac are belong to us!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine's 450 folders, and is 1.5 gig in size. And it's a new installation (I haven't even gotten around to putting in Office). Runs fine though, and I don't really have the inclination to ferret around trying to make it as slim as possible when there's Mario Kart to be played and ladies to be ignored by.

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Liam: Yeah, hard drives are relatively cheap, if you're buying a new computer. But if you're just trying to run something on the side using what you've got (which, in this case, is an old drive that used to be the primary in my dad's four-year-old PowerBook), you're stuck.

Actually, no. Hard drives are relatively cheap if you're buying a hard drive. Doesn't matter whether it's new or not. �40 will get you a 120 gig hard drive. By most definitions, that's "cheap".

Still, 3 gigabytes? That is odd. How big are your System32 and Web directories?

(And "root" isn't Windows terminology. It was also used on the old Amiga's and ST's of the early 90s. I suspect it to be a UNIX term, if anything. So really, you have no excuse.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to know where you can get a 120 GB hard drive for �40. Now. Before I pay $146 for one.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
(And "root" isn't Windows terminology. It was also used on the old Amiga's and ST's of the early 90s. I suspect it to be a UNIX term, if anything. So really, you have no excuse.)

Oh yeah, "root" is definitely UNIX terminology. It's used for OS X as well. I just wasn't sure which section of the drive the term referred to on the Windows-formatted disk, since they've got various places including "My Computer", C:\, and so forth. In the twisted world of Windows, "root" could have meant just about anything. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm 40 pounds seems to be about 96 CDN. That sounds close. The place where I buy stuff lists it for $109, a bit highter but far away from $146.
(pccanada.com)

Yep, 1.79 GB 425 folders. But this is one old installation of Windows...I think I've actually moved it twice, from one motherboard to an older one for a few months, and then back. That was fun.

Anyways, looking at the actual folders, it looks like the vast majority of the space has been taken up by cached service pack/update files....some of which is so that you can uninstall them if needed, and also so you don't have to put in a cd in those odd instances when Windows asks you to put its CD in to install something.

So if you feel lucky, you could probably say "no" whenever an update asks you whether you want to option of reverting and saving some space.
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/24/space.jpg

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"One of these things is not like the others / one of these things just doesn't belong / can you guess which thing is not like the others / before I finish my song?"

Speaking of storage space, why is my brain memory being taken up by things like that?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IN YOUR FACE YOU GRAEMLINS.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Speaking of storage space, why is my brain memory being taken up by things like that?"

BECAUSE YOUR BRAIN MEMORY IS LIMITED

"...I don't really have the inclination to ferret around trying to make it as slim as possible when there's Mario Kart to be played and ladies to be ignored by."

For you, there will always be ladies to be ignored by. And even an eight-year old can defeat you in a game of Mario Kart, so what choice do you have?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He only beat me on the final line, with a blue shell. And they shouldn't be allowed. The little bastard.

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
I want to know where you can get a 120 GB hard drive for �40. Now. Before I pay $146 for one.

I might have exagerrated slightly, but I seem to remember the 120gig ones being about �46 at our local computer fair, and 160 gig ones being about �56. I've just looked at Dabs, and they show a DiamondMax Plus9 80GB UDMA133 for �38, a 120gig one for �49, and a 160gig for �57. I don't think any of these are fancy SATA-type ones, but whaddya want?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh, I'll stick with TigerDirect, I guess. My mom's footing the bill after all. [Big Grin]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

You mean the place that seems to be selling 120gig hard drives for $69.99? What was your original complaint, again?

Unless you are talking about Canadian dollars, which would make that hard drive...CAN $92. What was your original complain, again, again?

--------------------

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, computers and computer parts!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

The hard drive I picked out is $144.99. Cheapest 120GB drive on TigerDirect is $109.99, after a rebate. What do you all recommend for a brand of hard drive? The $109.99 drive is a Western Digital. I have a WD drive right now that's dying on me, so I'm a bit apprehensive...

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had no problems with my WD and it's on a six year old computer. (mind you, the WD is as old as the computer)

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=291932&Sku=THD-1200JB%20P

One of us is being silly here. Or there's some delicate trick to Canadian financed I'm not understanding. That really does look like $69.99 after rebate to me, though. And what the hell does "rebate" mean, anyway?

Anyway, it's 7,200rpm, 8 meg buffer...that's all you want, really. And if you're that worried about Western Digital, then why not get the 200 gig Seagate? It's 80 gig more than the one you've picked out, and STILL costs less. Or why not try the site that Mucus pointed out? Unless you're on some sort of desperate quest to get the least cost-effective hard drive on the planet.

--------------------

Member # 239

Because, for whatever reason, he is buying parts in American dollars from a store located in Florida.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps