Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Things to do in Dallas when you're very much alive. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Things to do in Dallas when you're very much alive.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cousin Anthony is getting married on the 12th, and my father and I, as well as my aunt and uncle (my cousin's parents) are traveling down to the Lone Star State Monday, for a week of. . .well, I'm not sure, really.

I don't think we have any Flare D/FW Metroplexians, but I know we have at least one Texan. So, like, what's the deal? I think we're taking the (long) drive to Austin for a day or two as well. One week before South by Southwest, I tragically note.

Keep in mind that all my travels will be with a family that I am not, shall we say, a representative sample of.

There may be pictures afterwards, and there will probably be some sort of sarcastic and poorly formatted travel diary.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm..you're not exactly ariving at a nice time of year in dallas- you'll find a severe lack of color if the weather's bad (or if it's still really cold there) the sky and land will be a uiform gray and the buildings mostly brick or (downtown) unpainted concrete and steel.

I'm not a big fan of Dallas in winter.

I've heard there's some nightlife to be had, but like you, my visits there were always of a family-oriented (read: inescapable) nature.

This might help, though.... this looks infinately more promising. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Dallas winters run slowly, like molasses in February. *spit* *ploink*

Jason:
quote:
- you'll find a severe lack of color if the weather's bad (or if it's still really cold there) the sky and land will be a uiform gray and the buildings mostly brick or (downtown) unpainted concrete and steel.
As opposed to spring Dallas, when the grazing buildings shed their brick wintercoat and grow a nice birch and alabaster thatchwork, with spots of redwood and bakelite fittings.
Shindigs and cheerleaders for everyone.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visit id.

"...a family that I am not, shall we say, a representative sample of."

I will probably regret this, but: are there any families out there that you are a representative sample of?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ryan McReynolds was our Metroplex poster. I've never spent any appreciable time in Dallas or Austin, but I do have friends that have travelled there on occassion. I'll ask them and get back to you.

Off the top of my head, I know that Dallas has a museum of arts and a museum or natural history. I've heard both of them are pretty good. There's the Dallas Symphony, but I don't know if their season has started, what they're performing, or how ridiculously expensive it is. Downtown Dallas has undergone a revitalization, so it may be worth it to wonder around there for a couple hours popping into shops and restaurants. Also, maybe you can catch a tour of all the spots in Dallas they filmed Walker, Texas Ranger. The Mavericks are playing, but, again, I don't know their schedule or how ridiculously expensive a game would be. The area where JFK was assassinated is still there and undergoing a project to restore it to it's 1963 appearance.

Austin is a college town, so there's a lot of stuff geared towards students. In particular, Sixth Street and Guadalupe Street near UT are hotspots for bars, restaurants, and live music. Austin is supposedly famous for its music, but I don't know of any venues off-hand. The Texas Legislature is in session, so it might be interesting (and humorous, according to Molly Ivins) to take a tour of the capitol building and see part of a session. If you pop over to UT, the tower has tours, so you can go up to the observation deck and see where Charles Whitman went crazy with deer rifles thirty years ago. Somewhere around there is a bridge that's a popular spot for watching bats. Also, on the north side is the Chuy's Tex-Mex restaurant that is famous for being the scene where the Bush daughters were busted for underage drinking and using fake IDs.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To boat drinks!
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boat drinks? You'll have to visit the Riverwalk in San Antonio for those.
Nim
Member # 205

N-no!
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Yeah, you're right. Austin to San Antonio is as butt-numbing a drive as Dallas to Austin.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Visit id.

"...a family that I am not, shall we say, a representative sample of."

I will probably regret this, but: are there any families out there that you are a representative sample of?

(snaps fingers) The Adams Fam-i-ly (snaps fingers)

quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
As opposed to spring Dallas, when the grazing buildings shed their brick wintercoat and grow a nice birch and alabaster thatchwork, with spots of redwood and bakelite fittings.
Shindigs and cheerleaders for everyone.

Well, I got dragged to some sprawling gardens last time I was there (six years ago?) and they were bueatiful.
You'll notice that every woman over 22 in the dallas/Ft. Worth metropolitan area drives an SUV and has a baby.

That's not an exageration either: there may be some local statuate I'm unaware of in play...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister lives in Austin (no shit). Works at a Best Buy there, she'll hook you up.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"(snaps fingers) The Adams Fam-i-ly (snaps fingers)"

Oh, I don't know. John may have been a little weird, but Abigail was pretty normal.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I was thinking more like Pugsley (If Mike was the poser, I'd have said Wednsday, but that would be mean, and I'm a nice person ...in some alternate dimension).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, though I'm hoping to hit stores a bit more. . . off the beaten path. I mean, I can (and often do) hit Best Buy on my way home from work. Though I may have to stop by, just for the eerie frisson of "Hey, are you related to this guy I know by an alias at a Star Trek message board?"

I would sure like to load up on the sorts of CDs and books one imagines would be available in a hip college town. (All my experience is with unhip college towns.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye FG wants you in the family and is playing matchmaker.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps