Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Things to do in Dallas when you're very much alive. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Things to do in Dallas when you're very much alive.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Mabye FG wants you in the family and is playing matchmaker.

Pa always said the family sure could use the smarts.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And to address the subject of these two intervening posts: I can't come up with anything appropriate/amusing. Uh, the family Hominidae? (HEARTY CHUCKLES)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's gotta diversify Homo Ergaster as much as possible: brave new century and all that.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course Futurama Guy wants Sol System in his family. What family wouldn't love to have the genes of a guy with a Massive Wang in the family?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're Norwegian/Germanic, actually.

Bam!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok let's kick this thread up a notch.

Jason:
quote:
and I'm a nice person ...in some alternate dimension).
A version of you without the evil beard? I can't wrap my brain (or ass) around it.

Sol Norsekraut: How many generations back? I've never heard of any norwegian or german called Sizer. Is it a semitic name, like Pfizer? I stink at recognizing those.
Does your family have a lot of pharmaceutical clout?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually have an evil beard at the moment.

..and for your sake, I hope your ass is no where large enough to wrap around anything.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Of course Futurama Guy wants Sol System in his family. What family wouldn't love to have the genes of a guy with a Massive Wang in the family?

Actually, the family plan is to size what we have down a little...

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, I've only gotten one response from a friend, Sol. Here's what he says:

quote:
Austin -- everything is on 6th Street, and of course, a visit must be made to Hut's Hamburgers.

Dallas -- check out The Mustangs of Las Colinas plaza. Also, there's a great Fox and Hound Grille and Bar somewhere around I-45 and UT-Dallas.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

My family is Norwegian on my mother's side. (Stromme.) I believe one set of immigrants in that case were my great grandparents, but it might be a generation further back. (My maternal grandmother's maiden name was Stubjoen.) Anyway, I believe it was sometime early in the 20th century, but I could very easily be wrong. I like krumkake, is all I know. (But I am ambivalent about lefse, and what is with all the fruit soups?) Anyway, my grandfather on this side died before I was born, and my grandmother died in 1985, so I don't have much of a cultural connection, beyond some of the food. I am told I have relatives in Norway who might possibly know who I am, in the "grandson of the daughter of Old Halvor" sense. I'd really like to go there someday.

I am not really up on my geneology. As for Sizers, the earliest related Sizer that I know of was actually a French Huguenot living in, I think, Portugal, who traveled to America in the mid 18th century by way of the Azores. Sizer is the Englishization of his family name, which I can't really spell for you, but which sounds sort of like "de Zoshur." I believe Sizer itself is a British name, as there are plenty of Sizers there, none of whom I am related to. The Germanic stuff is mostly from my paternal grandmother's family. (I believe they were from Austria, to be specific.)

No one related to me has ever had much clout.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So...you're an alien?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, krumkake is what we swedes call "waffles", and we serve them with strawberry (or cloudberry!) jam and whipped cream.
http://www.fiskecamp.nu/images/waffla.jpg

About fruit soups, I think what you've encountered is some of scandinavia's many fools. Strawberry, rhubarb and apple fool is the most common, served in a mirror of milk.
Why, I've got some apple fool in the fridge as we speak, I had some yesternight while watching Jet Li beat people up with a firehose, I don't know what the hell was going on but the fool was of good.

I think you'd have fun going to Scandinavia, but go either in the winter or summer, that's when it shines (0˚F/90˚F).

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I pity the fool that listens to Nim.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
My family is Norwegian on my mother's side. (Stromme.)

I like krumkake, is all I know. (But I am ambivalent about lefse, and what is with all the fruit soups?)

Yay for lefse! I actually like the stuff - with butter and sugar - had some last weekend as a matter of fact. My paternal grandmother (Overby) is also Norwegian and that my cultural connection to the (1/4) motherland. That an rhubarb pie...not sure if that is a Norway thing or a Montana thing...anyway...

I have no connections to my German/Dutch, English or Lithuanian roots...so fuck 'em.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am allegedly an unknown-but-greater-than-50-percentage Italian, through my maternal great-grandparents and, erh, my father, whom I have not seen since Reagan thought Star Wars was a cool movie, but can I name even one pasta dish or other staple of the Italian cuisine besides pizza? No. That's what living in a cold, dark, northern European wasteland for a quarter of a century does to your heritage.

(Google's krumkake looks mightily appetizing. (The krumkake that isn't a toaster.))

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps