Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Dont resist arrest (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Dont resist arrest
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that would be a plug-in to make users switch to Firefox or whatever cool browser the kids are using this week.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balaam:
quote:
But what does it do? Is it just pain? Pain can be ignored. Involuntary muscle spasms? It seems like it would only affect a small area. Like I'd be curious to get hit with one once. In a controlled situation. You know. Just see what it's like.
Sounds like you're bordering on social darwinism there. [Smile]

The electricity doesn't cause spasms, it makes almost all muscles of the body contract and not just like you're flexing your bicep in the mirror, they pull together 110%, it's extremely painful, like a cramp. If you're hit center mass your abdomen contracts so you can't stand upright, same with the back muscles.

If you're hit as many times as that guy, and for that long, you can bet you'll have sore muscles for a very long time.

But I'll take it any day over mace or pepper spray.

There's a comedy show on here in Sweden where they show the 100 funniest TV-clips in modern time, one of them actually featured an adventurous TV-reporter who tried out a new police taser:

Click on entry 96�

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Were the 100 funniest TV clips of ancient times the less successful follow-up?)
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like you, Solly. That's why I'm gonna smurf you last.

Actually, if you look at that page again, the entry before 96 (no.97) is about a 1963 drug experiment by the british SAS (I recommend it btw).
For great timespan.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Sands:
It's possible his senses were dulled enough that the pain induced was not enough to get compliance. Remember that Rodney King had to be brought down with a lot more than a 50,000 volt tazer before the officers were assured that they wouldn't be endangered after he had been resisting arrest.

That's a bit diffrent though: King was coked/cracked up and (while I agree with you that he should not have been beaten) was coked up on his next four arrests (the ones you dont hear about).

I cant say this officer was out of line in his taserings- any of them. This guy had resisted arrest, gotten physical with the officer and shown that the taser was not working real well on him anyway.

If this had happened in the 80's, the cop would have been justified to bring his knight stick into play -which would've gone over far worse for Mr. Drunk(?) Driver.

Everyone: Liam needs a hug. [Smile]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the "night stick" was brought into play when he's thrown in the lock up with a large hairy guy called Shirley?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurting someone unnecessarily is a-ok because in a time not now they would have got hurt more. Win!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dub you Sir Stick!
David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: for some reason I had thought he had not been confirmed as having anything in his system when that arrest happened. Alcohol and cocaine certainly affect the body differently. Though I would think that they could functionally immunize the suspect from a tazer, just by different mechanisms. It's been a long time since that wonderful semester of psychopharmacology in college.

[Finally an active member. About damn time!]

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that the police regard refusal to obey instructions as an assault. So this guy continuing to try and get up earned him another shot at incapacitation.

I have little sympathy for those who resist arrest. Not because I think they always deserve to be arrested or are being treated fairly, but simply because it's stupid. If the cop tells you to lay down and stop moving, for the love of common sense do it. Don't run, don't mouth off, say yes sir and lay down. You can sue him later.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it bcomes assualt only after he grabs the officer.

Only then is the use of force warranted (or taken in this case).

As to Tasers in general- people have varing reactions to them (with or without drugs/ booze in their system). Some small guys have a resistance while some big guys drop like a stone.
It's not predictabe (it's also why police tasers dont have variable settings, I suppose).

This guy may just be one of the thousands of dumbasses that want to provoke a confrontation with any cop that stops them.

That's why the police petitioned to have those cameras installed in the front of their cars- so that there is evidence that they followed procedures in dealing with a arrest/ticket for court.

...of course, it's the slim minority of bad cops that get caught by their own cameras that the press tends to focus on.
Ratings and all that.
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Hurting someone unnecessarily is a-ok because in a time not now they would have got hurt more. Win!

I dont think it was nnecessary: the guy did not comply with the officer, the taser did not incapacitate him right away and this was after he got physical with the cop.
Police (anywhere) dont take chances they dont have to.
Nor should they.

David, if you refer to King, then no, I dont think anything could have been confirmed at the time of his beating/arrest, but any cop knows when someone is strung out.
Fuck, I know, and it's not as though I have to deal with drug addicts every day (except the two potheads at work, of course).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For great knowledge.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ah. I stand corrected: only recently did King actually get arrested for PCP.
Here's a rundown of his other adventures with the law.

Note how afraid the authorities are to prosecute him after the riots?

Any of us Flarites would be doing hard time.

...but the The Man always has it out for us geeks. [Wink]

Here's some fun from my area.
Makes me wonder is anything is really anyone's fault anymore...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm stupid. And they knew it. So they're responsible for what I do. Brilliant. Of course, the dull cow look in his eyes kind of sums up how much we can expect from him.

Side point: The text reads "a 'habitual drunkard'". Shouldn't it be "an 'habitual drunkard'" since habitual starts with an h? Or does that rule only apply to nouns that start with h? An honor. An hour.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you pronounce the "h", write "a". If you don't, write "an". Tres simple.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps