Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Dont resist arrest (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Dont resist arrest
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sad when its a person who's native tongue isn't english has to point that out.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Sands:
Finally an active member.

Wouldn't be more correct to say 'occasionally' active member. [Smile]

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
If you pronounce the "h", write "a". If you don't, write "an". Tres simple.

I have a feeling that it relates to whether the word comes originally from French or some other language. But I lack the motivation to do any research, so we'll just assume that I am right.

And I wouldn't be too harsh on Andrew. I doubt the majority of the population knows when to use it. I've certainly seen "an hotel" enough to know that a large number don't.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay: well, if you want to take an originalistic interpretation, I suppose that's a fair criticism.

Liam: I'm also seeing "an historical" more frequently too. I think it's a product of what's more orally euphonous. The convention seems to be changing somewhat. Whether it will last is anyone's guess. I remember a few years ago you started to see "co�perate" in news articles. That never seemed to pan out to other words and no one has bothered with diacritic marks on that or other English words since. And, of course, who can forget the classic Onion headline "�nited St�tes of Am�rica toughens image with umlauts"?

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I choose to side with the guy who managed to use euphonous, diacritic and umlaut in the same post. Bravo lad.

But yes... I would say "an historic" and "an habitual". But I would also say "A history". Maybe English is just an overly complicated language?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, strictly speaking, you're supposed to use "a" any time that the 'h' is pronounced. But, if you say things like "an historical" or "an hypothesis", it's because the accent is on the second, rather than the first, syllable. Thus, "an hisTORical", but "a HIStory". And "an hoTEL". Though, I admit, that one does sound a little funny.

And, regarding the original topic (plus picking apart English grammar)... I'm not surprised the guy kept trying to stand up. The cop kept telling him to "turn around". Now, maybe it's just me, but turning "around" involves being in some sort of upright position. If he wanted the guy to lie face-down, he should have said "turn over". And I'm not even being nit-picky here. When I hear someone say "turn around", the only thought that automatically occurs to me is to turn about an axis perpendicular to the ground. If I were lying on the ground and someone told me to "turn around" (and I were going to stay on the ground), I'd turn so my head was where my feet had been. Not change from face-up to face-down or vice versa. Is that an unusual interpretation?

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Sands:
And, of course, who can forget the classic Onion headline "�nited St�tes of Am�rica toughens image with umlauts"?

Of course the hilarious irony of the heavy metal obsession with umlauts is that germans actually percieve umlaut-ed letters to be weaker than their conventional counterparts and so completely failed to 'get' what the American and British bands were doing. The culmination of this phenomenon being an entire audience screaming Moertley Crueh! during a M�tley Cr�e performance in Germany.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originalistic? Now there's a great word.

And it wasn't meant as a criticism of any sort. Just an observation.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Maybe English is just an overly complicated language?

Perhaps we should use Ebonics instead.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sho 'Nuff.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay: not taken as such. Limitations of the written word again. Lack of inflection is a bother.

TSN: I think you're on to something there. Anapestic (and dactylic) meters have better rhythm than iambic and trochaic. (Or should it be "trocha�c"?)

Marauth: very interesting!

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I remember a few years ago you started to see 'co�perate' in news articles."

That's what The New Yorker's styleguide insists on.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because anyone really follows that.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, writers published in The New Yorker do, obviously.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this for a habitual drunkard. You shameless Cantinflasses you.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps