Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Snay's New Delivery Route (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Snay's New Delivery Route
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is more that the reference is to London. There could very well be great delivery in Whoopsidoodle-on-the-Wye, but it is outside the context of the anecdote.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You started off with "So you can get pizza delivered in London now?" in reference to me talking about pizza delivery places. So the anecdote is irrelevent (unless the passage in the book implied that you couldn't get pizza delivered anywhere in the UK, it's been a while and I can't quite remember.)

In any event, I know that Britain is a small place and full of places-not-famous-to-American-eises-and-earyes, but Liverpool is really not that obscure.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you used to live in London, didn't you? And I mean "London" in the broadest accepted sense. Middlesex, as it (formerly) were.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mind just naturally avoids thinking of the word "Liverpool".

It's visually unsetteling.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Well, you used to live in London, didn't you? And I mean "London" in the broadest accepted sense. Middlesex, as it (formerly) were.

"Were"? Are you sure?

And I haven't lived in London for 5 years. Half a decade. The time delay between here and there isn't that slow. And in any event, Liverpool is not in London or Middlesex. (Was it Jason who thought that it was right outside of London? Not that I want to mock him, because I couldn't point out 99% of US cities on a map. I'm just wondering why he thought that.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm confused. In the book the reference is, at least by my dim recollection, explicitly in regards to London, and this was the sole reason I mentioned it.

You may suggest that that makes my comment somewhat divorced from the rest of the thread, but when hasn't that been true?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Thread flow:

quote:
All the one's like that around here are primarily indian take-aways, with pizza as an extra. And they're not very good at all.
Implication is that Liam can get pizza delivered to his house.

quote:
So can you get pizza delivered in London, now? I've only got that bit in one of the Dirk Gently books to go on as proof that you can't, or couldn't, but still.
Simon is surprised that you can now get pizza delivered in London. This seems to be a direct response to the above comment, since the only other people in the thread talking about getting pizzas delivered live in the US, where Simon is well aware that pizza can be delivered.

Liam can get pizza delivered. Simon takes that to mean you can now get pizzas delivered in London. Simon is therefore assuming that Liam lives in London. Liam has not lived in London for 5 years. Simon is a very silly billy.

I don't know if you can get pizzas delivered in Wales, though.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on, I'll ask. . . Yes, they can, apparently.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Wales is silly, so I wasn't sure.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh - and you have to ask, otherwise you get sliced leeks on everything.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've got a great carry-out place (I'm assuming the equivilant of a "take-away") just down the street from me here in Buchanan. I have to excersize enormous amounts of self control not to order pizza every night on my way home from work.

As for not being able to get pizzas delivered in certain places, there were areas of Columbus that were in the dead-zone of food delivery. If you lived on the wrong side of some random street or in the wrong neighborhood, noone would deliver to you.

And why does this thread have me wanting to add a "u" to all my wourds...?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I'm not sure, since I can't see any words on this page that are spelt with an "ou" in English and an "o" in American. I'd focus on learning how to spell "exercise", as your way is actually making even Jason cry.

I don't think that the US equivilent of "take-away" is "carry-out". I thought it was the rather more obvious "take-out".

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"equivalent"
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap, I really botched that one didn't I?

I've heard both carry-out and take-out. I say carry-out. But then again, I also apparently spell abysmally. It's a place where you get the food to go rather than sit there and eat it, yes?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably varies according to where in the US you are, but in the Baltimore area, "carry out" is correct.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps