Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Mercury, Venus, ..., 2003UB313? (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Mercury, Venus, ..., 2003UB313?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say the Sol-Jupiter system either doesn't count because the sun is not a planet -- it is the system's star, or else Sol-Jupiter co-orbit a barycentre, Jupiter being essentially a Brown Dwarf (failed) star, and this is really a binary system, like so many others.

--Jonah

P.S. Given that the Sol-Jupiter barycentre is probably inside the orbit of Mercury, it'd probably be more accurate to say that Jupiter orbits Sol, but is sufficiently massive to make Sol wobble.

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
if I were on the naming board for the IAU, I would totally submit names from Firefly.

Except that the most likely candidates to fit in the current naming scheme (Ariel, Miranda, etc.) are already moons.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sol-Jupiter barycenter is just outside Sol. The point I'm trying to make is that if we start defining whether or not a secondary object is considered an equal or subordinate based upon whether the barycenter is within the primary object or not, then Jupiter becomes... Well, I don't know what Jupiter would be. Sub-brown dwarf maybe? But it would be considered a celestial object in the same "weight class" as Sol.

And for the record, I'm not for considering Jupiter as such. It's still nowhere close to achieving nuclear fusion, it'd have to be about 13 times its current mass to do so. It's just that I'm really against the barycenter reasoning behind Charon's proposed status.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading that FAQ, my head is still spinning.

Man, the aliens that find those solar maps on Pioneer and Voyager are gonna think we're REALLY stupid, now...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I think quite a few could work well, OTM. Saturnian moons seem to be gettin Inuit & Norse names, asteroids are named after whatever the discoverer likes (hence Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, & Starr), & Bellerophon & Osiris are only unofficial names for extrasolar planets. There's still Hera, Paquin, Sihnon, Triumph, whitefall. Hell, they haven't even touched the Chinese pantheon yet; I'd love to see a planet named Jian Lao, Ma-mian (the bureaucrat of the underworld) or even my favorite & patron Kuan Yin.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lychee, Kung Pao, Sum Yung Guy. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honda, M. Bison, Chun-Li...

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.

Seems that the definition proposed earlier this week isn't very popular amongst the astonomers in Prague, either. A second definition has now been proposed that requires a planet be far larger than anything else in a similar orbit. The second definition also does away with the term "pluton", which I can't say I cared for.

However, the second proposal still proposes things such as Pluto (and who knows what else) be called "dwarf planets". I find my own position softening a bit on this. I wouldn't be opposed to things big enough to be round but not dominant enough in their orbits to be a planet getting their own category. I just don't like the word "planet" being in the name of that category.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just call them "earths" like Malcolm Reynolds did & be done with it.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Plutons" makes geologists sad.
Shik
Member # 343

So..."Plutlet?"

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Il pleure dans mon coeur comme il plute, er, pleut sur la ville. . .

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

Videos from the IAU Conference

"Discussion on the Definition of a Planet" is towards the bottom of the list. It gets pretty heated.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Heated? I hardky think a bunch of astronomers arguing is going to amount to downtown Fallujah, somehow.

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

Well, they were hardly shooting at one another, but civility was barely existant at a few points in the "discussion".

IAU Newsletter

On the last page is the final draft version of the resolutions. The original resolution was so unpopular that major concessions were made. It was also split into several resolutions. The vote is tomorrow.

I imagine 5A and 6A will pass with little trouble. I doubt 5B will pass (I share the "against" opinion below the resolutions). I also like 6B, but I don't know whether it'll pass or not.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps