Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Mercury, Venus, ..., 2003UB313? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Mercury, Venus, ..., 2003UB313?
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then there were eight.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll always be a planet in my heart.(Single Tear)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So long, Pluto. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. [Razz]
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nachos?
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More powerful than a Death Star....the IAU Resolution!

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, I'll scrub Julio �ngel Fern�ndez from my Christmas card list. Seems a bit silly to me revoking Pluto's planetyness after 76 years. Inconsequential as it is, it does seem a bit unfair.

EDIT: I also can not help but wonder if the new qualifiers were accepted simply because they remove Pluto from its status. The actual wording of the convention is more than a little ambiguous. As far as I can work out, apart from it's orbit, Pluto has not 'cleared its orbit'. But it seems that by this definition, Earth and Jupiter are not planets (shitloads of small lumps of rock in their proximity), and probably this aplies to all the other planets.

Would it not have been simpler for them just to have a vote thus: 'Should Pluto be considered a planet?', rather than going to all the effort of creating a new category of celestial objects with such a wishywashy definition? I hate office politics.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FUCK.

STILL A PLANET TO ME, YO. KUIPER BELT FO' LYF DAWWWG!!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
EDIT: I also can not help but wonder if the new qualifiers were accepted simply because they remove Pluto from its status. The actual wording of the convention is more than a little ambiguous. As far as I can work out, apart from it's orbit, Pluto has not 'cleared its orbit'. But it seems that by this definition, Earth and Jupiter are not planets (shitloads of small lumps of rock in their proximity), and probably this aplies to all the other planets.

Would it not have been simpler for them just to have a vote thus: 'Should Pluto be considered a planet?', rather than going to all the effort of creating a new category of celestial objects with such a wishywashy definition? I hate office politics.

I've been watching this whole planet thing for quite some time, and it seems to me that it wasn't an "anti-Pluto lobby" that did in Pluto.

Granted, as much as I disagreed with the idea of a planet being defined solely by its shape, it was at least a good attempt at a real scientific definition.

When the IAU committee came up with its first definition draft, it did so pretty much in secret and did not take into account a lot of things. Geologists were outraged about the use of the term "pluton". The committee on exoplanets were outraged that they were not consulted. The part of the first draft concerning double planets and barycenters was pointed out to be faulty in the case of satellites with highly elliptical orbits.

But most of all, I just don't think many of the astronomers could wrap their heads around admitting objects like Ceres and Charon to planethood, or the possibility of having over 50 planets. Therefore, the other definition based on good science, that of a planet clearing its orbit, was brought in. There was no way to include Pluto without including Ceres and Charon, except by going with an arbitrary and unscientific definition (like imposing a size limit).

And I'll admit that "clearing its orbit" is kind of vague. I don't think any planet has utterly and completely cleared its orbit. But if you add up the masses of everything that crosses Earth orbit, including the Moon, you still don't get anywhere near the mass of the Earth. Similarly, Jupiter's mass is much much bigger than all the Trojan asteroids combined. Heck, Jupiter's mass is bigger than everything in the solar system (excluding Sol) combined. Neptune's mass is much bigger than everything else that crosses its orbit (and that includes Pluto) combined. Pluto is disqualified first and foremost by the fact that it crosses Neptune's orbit and is way way smaller than Neptune, and secondly by the fact that its orbit is crossed by many similarly-sized Kuiper Belt objects.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

"The committee on exoplanets were outraged that they were not consulted."

Why? If you'll notice, this definition only applies to the Solar System, not to any other star systems.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Why? If you'll notice, this definition only applies to the Solar System, not to any other star systems.

Compare the first version of the resolution with the ones that were passed. You'll see that the first version refers to objects that go around stars in general, while the one that was passed refers only to the Sun. It was this first version that the exoplanet guys were awfully angry about. To see what I'm talking about, go watch the video I posted earlier in this thread.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the orbital plane bullshit is just that.

That video was sweet. I didn't watch it, but I listened. All we needed was Jason Lee standing up & saying "What's a Nubian?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that we should start calling the sun Sol. And then rename the closest habitable solar system Helios. And start naming the planets after the greek versions of our own. So its Helios the sun, then Hermes, Aphrodite, *Earth is already greek! Quick, call it Terra like Roman!*, Aries, Zeus, Cronos, I don't think Uranus changes, Poseidon, Hades. W00ber.
Shik
Member # 343

Saturn becomes Cronos & Uranus would be Coelus. Earth is not Greek, but Gaia is.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if the closest habitable system doesn't have nine planets? What then, eh? EH?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, then, we, we, obviously we start naming astroid-sized objects planets!

And that's what we call full circle, folks.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps