Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » XP is being an asshole... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: XP is being an asshole...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I don't really get the whole MP3 thing. Which is to say that most of my music is still solid. I do own a copy of Like Swimming.

Ug. Their least amazing album (it's still amazing, just not...amazing like A Cure for Pain was).

I too have the whole "physical music" thing for the most part- everyone I know has lost songs by keeping everything on their harddrive.

Still, it's fun to stea...er....legally-downlad-from-legitimate-sources-and-follow-the-law-so-the-RIAA-does-not-sue-me....more music.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who obsessivly backs up data, burns to DVD, sets up mirrored disks sends stuff of to offsite storage in radiation hardend bunkers under the Alps...?

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't posted here in a while . . . shame on me. [Frown]

I'd like to second Topher's comment above [Big Grin] and also ask:

quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Not long, 20-30 seconds maybe, that was not the point. I wasn't sure if the NOGUI-option in the startup config did anything substantial. Maybe it would make a difference for others.

How the fuck do you get your PC to boot up in 20-30 seconds!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Confused] Like what the bloody hell kind of system are you running man!? Jesus H. Christ! [Eek!] I'm sitting here absolutely, totally fucking gobsmacked! [Eek!] [Razz] How do you do it?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine doesn't take too long. I've never timed it, though.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even with graphics programs, the de-frag and lots of shit saved on my desktop, mine cant take more than two minutes...tops.

What can you be running that takes so long?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
akb1979: Most of the gain comes from the fast BIOS startup of my Dell, it's a Dimension 8300 so my monitor won't even have gotten its glow on before Windows has started booting.

As for the Windows part, I've blocked as many things as I dare to in the Windows startup queue, all the little crap like Quicktime Update bots and Office Startup, I use MSConfig for that.

After clocking it, I see it's more like 30-40 seconds from cold start.

Here's a thing, though. After I installed Adobe Reader, its folder opens every time Windows starts, showing C:\Program Files\Adobe. It's irritating to have to close it every time I start up, does this happen because I moved the Adobe folder around in the start menu? I've read the solution at work like four years ago but I forgot.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
akb1979: Most of the gain comes from the fast BIOS startup of my Dell, it's a Dimension 8300 so my monitor won't even have gotten its glow on before Windows has started booting.

Oh, not got a Dell . . .

quote:
As for the Windows part, I've blocked as many things as I dare to in the Windows startup queue, all the little crap like Quicktime Update bots and Office Startup, I use MSConfig for that.
MSConfig - yeah I know that for the same thing, I'm sure that there's more I could "remove" from startup, just can't be arsed! Oh, it's also the first term in this topic that I recognise! [Big Grin]

quote:
After clocking it, I see it's more like 30-40 seconds from cold start.
Ah ha! Smudging the facts were we? Mmmm . . . I see your game . . . [Wink] [Razz]

quote:
Here's a thing, though. After I installed Adobe Reader, its folder opens every time Windows starts, showing C:\Program Files\Adobe. It's irritating to have to close it every time I start up, does this happen because I moved the Adobe folder around in the start menu? I've read the solution at work like four years ago but I forgot.
[Confused] Never had that before . . . maybe it's a Dell thing . . . [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, just a Windows thing. Start your favorite registry editor and look for any orphaned Adobe-stougkk at the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

You should say your farewells there, son. *sniph*

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha hah, yeah well if I had a penny for every day I'd lived in my life, I'd have about...95 dollars.

_That's me in a nutshell. And a very pretty
__nutshell it is.
___95 dollars for a life time.
____You can get a one-day weaving class at Luxury
_____Fiber Yarns,
______a state-of-the-art GPS system from
_______SlickDeals.net
________but not love...never love
_________you can buy yourself time, for a while, but never enough
__________time...to die

(I just came home from viewing "Howl's moving castle", so yeah)

Ah?!, I seem to have put an end to the blasted folder-popping now, thanks a lot you gays.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as we're on the subject, there's a computer at work (running Win98) which opens Internet Explorer every time it boots up. There's no reference to IE in the Startup folder or the Run entries in the registry. It's been a while since I looked at it, but I'm pretty sure I checked the startup entries in msconfig, as well.

Anyone happen to know of some other obscure place where such a thing might show up?

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "load=" and/or "run=" lines in win.ini, typically.
tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
replacing explorer.exe with iexplore.exe?
Logon script?

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Nim
Member # 205

Also, can anyone explain to me this most queer of XP phenomenomenons, that some files in a folder, say filled with mp3:s, get their filename in blue color, and others doesn't?
I tried to work it out but the blue filenames aren't the most recent, nor the most played, nor the ones with the highest bitrate, etc.

Three quarters of the mp3 filenames in my main music folder are blue and I don't know why nor how to turn it off. Anyone?

Cartman
Member # 256

XP has a tool (Disk Cleanup) that by default automagically compresses files which haven't been accessed in some user-defined amount of time to save disk space. Explorer just color-codes those in blue.

Disabling it is left as an exercise to the reader. B)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps