Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The 25 Worst Sequels Ever Made (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The 25 Worst Sequels Ever Made
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like movies.

I like lists about movies.

Those two things converged when the Internet Movie Database, roughly one of the best internet sites ever, linked to this Entertainment Weekly story.

The 25 Worst Sequels Ever Made.

25. the Matrix Reloaded 2003
24. The Next Karate Kid 1994
23. Porky's II: The Next day 1983
22. Teen Wolf Too 1987
21. Legally Blonde 2: red, white & blonde 2003
20. The Godfather part III 1990
19. Revenge of the Nerds II: nerds in paradise 1987
18. Battle for the Planet of the Apes 1973
17. Star Trek V: the final frontier 1989
16. Ocean's Twelve 2004
15. Dumb and Dumberer: when harry met Lloyd 2003
14. Conan the Destroyer 1984
13. The Sting II 1983
12. Star Wars: Episode I � The Phantom Menace 1999
11. Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights 2004
10. Jaws: The Revenge 1987
9. Speed 2: Cruise Control 1997
8. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan 1989
7. The Fly II 1989
6. Weekend At Bernie's II 1993
5. Batman & Robin 1997
4. Blues Brothers 2000 1998
3. Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha' Hood 2003
2. CaddyShack II 1988
1. Staying Alive 1983

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with 99.999% of that list.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta say though that Ocean's Twelve wasn't that bad.

Not great by any stretch, but not awful enough to make this list.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Julia Roberts playing herself... as a key part of the plot...? Um, yah, that was bad.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the last Police Academy Movie?

2010, Odyssey II?

Alien, ReSUCKeration?

Jason X? (Though I have to admit I laughed at Lexa Doig and Lisa Ryder being in the film. ALMOST wanted them to take the mask off and reveal Kevin Sorbo)

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alien Resurrection was better than Alien 3, by a long shot. 2010 was a good movie in its own right, even if not thematically similar to 2001. But yes, most of the Police Academy and Jason movies probably belong on there. My question is, where's Nemesis?
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least two of those are prequels.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just puzzled as to why they think that "The Final Frontier" was better than "The Phantom Menace". [Wink]
quote:
At least two of those are prequels.
sequel: a published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one.

In this case, "earlier" refers to the date of publication, not the timeframe of the events of the work. Also,

prequel: a story or movie containing events that precede those of an existing work : ORIGIN 1970s: from pre- [before] + sequel .

Etymologically, therefore, "prequel" designates a subset of works that are sequels. (Source: The Oxford American Dictionary)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Alien Resurrection was better than Alien 3, by a long shot. 2010 was a good movie in its own right, even if not thematically similar to 2001. But yes, most of the Police Academy and Jason movies probably belong on there. My question is, where's Nemesis?
Omega - it's in a list of it's own - movies so bad that even die hard fans (ie. the ones that dress up) refuse to acknowledge it's existance.

It's there with Superman 3 (the one with Richard Pryor and 'don't smoke kids'), Superman 4 (even worse with Nuclear Man), Rocky 4 (with an equaly excruicating anti cold war speech), Rocky 5 (with Rocky beating up some kid who he failed to train), Highlander 2 (like Highlander, but poo), Son of the Mask, Curse of the Pink Panter (the one with Roger Moore) and Look Who's Talking Too (it's the dogs).

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Superman 3 is like Easy Rider compared to 4. Pryor inadvertantly skiing down a skyscraper > Mariel Hemingway taking a relaxing space cruise. THEN THEY SHOVE THE MOON AROUND. Also, the printing press at the newspaper looks a lot like the freaky machine in Superman 3. I'm not saying I'm worried about being attacked by an old woman cyborg, but let's just say I keep an eye on the exits.

But the idea of the list is, it seems, that one bad sequel, versus that endless stream of awful.

Alien 3 > Alien Resurrection.

Really, I'm not so sure series are as interesting, in this context, as the idea of a good movie followed by a completely unnecessary sequel. (I'm not sure what to do with a terrible movie that gets an equally terrible sequel; like, who cares?)

I've related this anecdote before, but after 9 years what hasn't been, so, when they were building a new theater a decade ago in Yakima, they engaged some local artist in the painting of a movie-themed mural. The films depicted include: Apollo 13 (which had been released the year before), First Contact (which had just come out, but is the Enterprise E really the iconic image you want to promote The Modern Cinema?), The Ten Commandments (which would make sense, if it was a mural composed of classic films, but it so isn't), SUPERMAN 4: THE QUEST FOR PEACE (specifically a recreation of the movie poster/VHS box, with Superman zooming up with a nuclear warhead in tow), and I'm not sure what else. ET maybe. It is the most haphazard collection of images, is my point, and doesn't get me ready to buy popcorn so much as it induces a deep existential confusion.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
and Look Who's Talking Too (it's the dogs).

Look Who's Talking Now was the one with the dogs talking. Why I remember that about a movie I couldn't stand to watch for even sixty seconds, I have no idea.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe he meant (it's the dog's bollocks).
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Maybe he meant (it's the dog's bollocks).

quote:
I can't see you
I can't hear you
You don't see me
You couldn't be me
Who cares wins
Anthrax, 'Who cares wins'

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

So are you just reposting the results of random Google queries, or is there some method to your consistent nonsensicality?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with most of that list except:

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan is actually extremely good- (for that kind of slasher flick) absolutely hilarious and intentionally funny.
The only one of those movies worth watching- particularly the scene where he punches this boxing guy's head clean off with one hit!
Or when Jason is confronted by a gang of street punks and flashes his macette- they're all "It's cool" and back off- and he lets them all go!

Seriously- it's worth renting.

Matrix Reloaded: that movie is really a great sequel that has a baaaad (Revolutions) finalle.
I think they're judging the two sequels to the Matrix as one thing and that's not fair.

I'd add any Stephen King movie that got a sequel he did not write to that list- Sleepwalkers 2, Sometimes They Come Back-Again!, Pet Semetary 2, Carrie 2, etc.

All of the Tremors sequels should be up there.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps