Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » How pathetic can it get, part 2 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: How pathetic can it get, part 2
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention the slight problem that "religion" is supposed to describe what you believe and not what you do.
You could be the most virtuous soul on Earth, with the flowers blooming when you walk past and the birds chirping, but according to Christians....if you don't believe in God you're either going to purgatory or hell depending on which flavour you're talking to.
By the same token, you could be a Christian and if you kill someone, you're still a Christian....all you've done is just sinned.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you say you're a Hindu, who is anyone to say you're not?

Anyone who knows the definition of Hindu, of course.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people miss out on the whole reality being a question of perception joke. It's a shame, really. The world could use a few good transcendental jokes right about now.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A priest, a rabbi, and Ralph Waldo Emerson walk into a bar...

[ October 15, 2002, 14:13: Message edited by: TSN ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:

You could be the most virtuous soul on Earth, with the flowers blooming when you walk past and the birds chirping, but according to Christians....if you don't believe in God you're either going to purgatory or hell depending on which flavour you're talking to.

Oh come on, that is exgarrating just a teensy weensy little bit. There are plenty of Christians who adopt the "as long as a person basically lives a good life, he'll get into heaven whether he believes in God or not" approach.

And yes, Tim doesn't want to go to heaven. But Tim is a strange sort who likes to put snails on his face before bedtime, so we'll ignore him.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, there are many Christians who feel that way. But there are also many who believe you are doomed to damnation without Jesus living in your heart. (Which sounds disgusting, now that I think of it.) He wasn't exaggerating on that score.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it depends on how you define "many". Half of all Christians? A third? Or a really quite small percentage that makes up for it by shouting a lot?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd say, 2700% exactly.
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I can get 1500 on a 5 round game of Monkey Target! Up yours! Up you alleses!

--------------------

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I realize that what I'm about to say is completely unpopular with some...

But what the hell would people fight about if their wasn't any religion???

Islam hate Christians.
Christians disagree with Islam and muslims

Catholics disagree with protestants...

Get rid of all that shit .. what the fuck would people fight about??

Seems to me the difference of opinions these days have more to do with whose God we should worship...

Oh sure.. there's political rhetoric there... sure... there fundamental prides being hurt here..

I still think that at the very bottom of all this .. Religious beliefs come to the very heart of the wars being sprung here..

NOW... imagine a world without religion...
I know .. some of you can't even go there... but work with me ... Cuz.. everyone knows i'm going to hell anyways...

what the hell would we fight about... Osama wouldn't be pissed at the states... The states wouldn't even know who that fucker is....

The WTC towers would still be standing .. cuz al quaeda militants wouldn't exist ... and there would be no need for Jihad. (holy war --- whatever)

Israel wouldn't be pissed at all... Palastines would have nothing to fight the jews for ...

Iraq ... well.... *shrugs* I'm lost on that one ... maybe their women would have more equality......

Saudis wouldn't feel the need to mutilate their women to keep them pure (SOME saudis .. not all -- God forbid I'm not politically correct).

Canadian schools wouldn't be closed down because they spoke the lord's prayer ...

Like I said .. i'm just asking hard questions hypothetically....

I've never claimed to be a religious man ... religion has done nothing but played a negative part in my life .. but for some... HEY... It's done them some good -- and that's their freedom and right...

but you know what... you'll never see an agnostic man go to war cuz someone else didn't believe that his god was better than his...

It just all seems like a proverbial pissing contest... *Sigh* Just venting..

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"But what the hell would people fight about if their wasn't any religion???"

Plain old greed, I suspect.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Sports. Pointless PS2 vs GC vs X-Box arguments. The length of the Defiant. Whether April o Neil would be a better shag than Teela. That sort of thing.

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teela: old or new?
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teela needs the he-bone.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps