Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Congressional Midterm Predictions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Congressional Midterm Predictions
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I tend to stay on most factions' good sides as best I can, wiping them out one at a time. Safer that way.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
It is not a good idea for free nations to deploy military units as domestic police for any prolonged period of time.

I do not believe that the Border Patrol is considered "domestic police."

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they police the domestic?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're not a foreign police force, and they operate within the borders of the US. I don't see how they could get any *MORE* "domestic".
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snayality!

And so forth.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I say we use troops pulled from American bases in Europe, particularly Germany. With the Cold War over, they're not needed anymore. Keep a few bases like Rammstein (sp?) as transfer / fueling / quick-deploy points, close the rest down. Europe can see to its own, I'm sure it would make them feel better not having troops of the 'evil imperialist oppressor' on their soil anymore.
However, should anyone suggest that NATO be disbanded, Farquad will scream like a girl. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We gotta get the dang thing to stop growing first, it is almost as bad as the EU....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...ok.

I have been inspired to reinstall Alpha Centauri. Yes. We should play.

Member # 480

Is the multiplayer Alpha Centauri any good? I tried online play with Civ II, but was bored the entire time.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

However, should anyone suggest that NATO be disbanded, Farquad will scream like a girl. 8)

I think he does anyway.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OUCH!!!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I like it, and prefer it to the single player game since, with enough humans playing, you get to actually use the political apparatus. But, I do not think it is different enough from Civ II to change your mind, sadly.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Vogster, I was just about to suggest that myself.

With the USSR out of the picture, and more Eastern European nations joining, NATO's purpose becomes more and more fuzzy. Wouldn't a regional defense force, made up of the members of the EU, be more reasonable than committing US and Canadian troops to the defense of a continent that isn't theirs?

I mean, if the dream is for a united Europe, having the US pulling the strings of European defense (while providing a great deal of it) can't be good for it.

Of course, the question of effectiveness of a EUDF (European Union Defense Force?) would need to be addressed. Getting Europeans to fight, even in their own defense, may be more than most folks could handle. (Although perhaps they could say that the enemy cheats at soccer.)

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only minor problem is that most European armed forces are crap. Anyway, surely a larger number of countries from different continents in a mutual defense pact is better than a smaller one?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Only minor problem is that most European armed forces are crap.

True enough... but with the US gone, they'd finally have some incentive to improve.

quote:

Anyway, surely a larger number of countries from different continents in a mutual defense pact is better than a smaller one?

That's the thing. There's not a great deal really "mutual" about it, from our POV. I can count on no fingers the number of times since NATO was formed that its troops were called to duty in the Western hemisphere. We shouldn't have to defend ourselves AND carry European defense at the same time. Sure, we'll be on call if things get dicey, but they should be able to stand on their own by now.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps