Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Congressional Midterm Predictions (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Congressional Midterm Predictions
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, expect something along the lines of "they're European, therefore they're not American, so they're crap." Or some similar leap of jingoistic logic. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
One thing about the US armed forces; why do they all salute navy style rather than properly?

That's debate territory, but the salute is based upon knights raising their helms to look at each other...different salutes are based on different helms. In fact, beyond the knight, it was the first navies that started to use what would become known as the modern salute. In that sense, the American salute is more true to its roots than any in the world, since it's based on the salutes of the American Cutters in the early eighteen hundreds.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right; thanks for that! I'm used to RAF/ Army salute rather than the US style/ Navy salute and it always looks a bit odd to me.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what do the Brits do? Some kind of heil-Hitler-style salute? The TOS Romulan salute? The Vulcan salute? A black-power fist-in-the-air?
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wraith, they seemed to have missed your post as to why you decided 'crap' was a bit harsh on European militaries.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably something more like Rimmer's.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol's, uh, got it, I suppose. Well, not exactly. I mean, none of the wiggly stuff. So he doesn't.

But in a nutshell, palm open facing forward (and slightly downward?), middle fingertip to side of eyebrow.

We had an amusing dealing with this very issue on the, erm, musical I'm working on at the moment. The cast members playing British soldiers got a crash course in saluting from our Stage Manager who turns out to have been in Cadets when he was younger (trust me, plenty of smirking has been had over this). Anyway, there was widespread consternation because our loyal Canadian thespians knew how to salute the American way, not the British/Commonwealth way, and thus eyes were cast to heaven and the American media was condemned. And they were then brutally re-educated into saluting like soldiers from any respectable country would. End of story.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are several variations of the Rimmer salute, remember. The half-Rimmer (for emergencies), and the double-Rimmer (for special occassions), for instance.

quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:

We had an amusing dealing with this very issue on the, erm, musical I'm working on at the moment.

This will be mentioned often from now on.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, everyone! Tom's helping with a musical! Take note!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah...I hadn't actually been thinking of the different hand orientation. Just that Rimmer+salute=hilarity.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, basically, it's exactly like the US salute, except that the palm faces out, rather than down. And, somehow, this is a major deal?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

A British-esque salute: http://www.raf.mod.uk/ptc/images/fibd6_t.jpg

And an American one: http://www.dtic.mil/armylink/photos/Jul2001/salute.gif

SHOCKING!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wonder the Germans almost won the war.
Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite. If the Valar hadn't come out of the West when they did who knows what would have happened. Perhaps one day we of the lower peoples can also see the light of the blessed lands.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps