Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Inside the Weird World of GWB (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Inside the Weird World of GWB
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As with Tom, I know how well these normally turn out. SO! I will put in the most flammable quotes and THEN link to the full article. Genius, no?

This is by his former speechwriter, David Frum. A "Canadian right-winger, who cointed infamous phrase 'axis of evil'".

quote:
"The White House is run on strict, almost military lines, a so-called "culture of evangelism".

"this was a White House where attendance at Bible study was, if not compulsory, not quite uncompulsory".
"Frum, 42, repeatedly mentions how Bush and various aides are constantly thanking God, beseeching God's help and urging others to pray on their behalf."

"It mirrors Saddam's habit of regularly referencing Allah in his every action and speech."

"Bush describes al-Qaeda as "a bunch of nuts" and environmentalists are "green-green- lima-beans." Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat is "thuggish". And he would often say sarcastically of Europeans: "They just lurve Arafat.""

From, strangely enough, the Mirror. Lee's favouritest newspaper ever.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, what? When have I ever mentioned the Mirror in conversation? I prefer The Sun. Mainly for Page 3. Don't you realise that getting even that minor fact wrong totally invalidates your entire argument in Omeychops' eyes?!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of this left-wing hate mongering will ever change the fact that Bush is on an intellectual par with Eienstien, Mandela and Ghandi. His place in history as a parody of virtue is assured.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

VP: I think you had a go at the Mirror once (I may be wrong)

This was in the Telegraph as well.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most likely because Frum = Conrad Black's bitch

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to prove that considering that Conrad Black no longer owns the National Post.

Liberal Quackers now own the Post. And no change in ideals. I'm quite disappointed with the Aspers y'know. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black did all the hiring, though, and there continues to be large crossover between the Post and Black's rightasallhell Hollinger assets in London, Jerusalem and Chicago. The Aspers are too stingy to bring in new people, and aside from their support of Chretien, are hardly centrist or liberal in the slightest.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001040#000008

That's it?!

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet, the article concludes (should I say I'm surprised that this was left out of the OP?)

quote:
But it's Bush, the man, who surprises - and Frum's final verdict after all the barbs.

He says: "George W Bush is a very unusual person: a good man who is not a weak man. He has many faults. He is impatient and quick to anger; sometimes glib, even dogmatic, more conventional in his thinking than a leader probably should be. But outweighing the faults are his virtues: decency, honesty, rectitude, courage and tenacity."

He adds: "He was a rather unfamiliar type of heavyweight. Words often failed him, his memory sometimes betrayed him but his vision was large and clear.

"And when he perceived new possibilities, he had the courage to act on them - a much less common virtue in politics than one might suppose. Bush's vision is not occluded by guilt or self-doubt." Frum quit his �60,000-a-year job soon after last January's axis of evil speech. Insiders say the president was upset that he had taken credit for the address.

But Frum concludes that the president has performed well. "He was hardly the obvious man for the job. But by a very strange fate, he turned out to be, of all unlikely things, the right man."

And yesterday he claimed: "The more I got to know Bush the more I got to like him."

Sounds to me like the guy is mostly trying to sell his book.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To quote Richard Curtis: "He looks like what he is. A dungball in a dress".
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Religious fanatics waging war against religious fanatics. Jolly good show.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
And yet, the article concludes (should I say I'm surprised that this was left out of the OP?)

No, since I actually stated that I was only going to pick out the juicy quotes in order to get reactions. Keep up.

Also, realistically, those "good points" aren't what I would call, well, good points. He acts on his beliefs, and will not be swayed. Which is great, unless those beliefs involve going out and bombing lots of people who were mean to his dad. It's also great for all those people in the white house. Yay Bible Studies sessions, and prayers before meetings.

Decency, honesty and courage are great and all, really. But I don't think many people are comfortable that the man in charge of the largest military ordinance in the world is impatient and quick to anger.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
Member # 393

Gandalf W. Bush?! Oh, wait, that's subtle and quick to anger. . .

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VP: Yep, looks like it...

quote:
But I don't think many people are comfortable that the man in charge of the largest military ordinance in the world is impatient and quick to anger.

Not to mention apparently has the IQ of a small (possibly boiled?) turnip...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

That's grown into a rude & amusing shape?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps