Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » "Provide for the Common Defense"? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "Provide for the Common Defense"?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
1st War: War on terrorists and their backers. Iraq backs terrorists, possibly including Al-qaeda, and is therefore a targit, albeit a minor player. It is also a "baby step."

2nd War: War against Iraq, for violating, repeatedly, UN resolutions which state very clearly that Iraq MUST do certain things, or face harsh reprisals. Iraq having not done these things to anyone's satisfaction.

So, while we recognize that there countries with greater ties to terrorism and Al Qaeda than Iraq, oh, countries such as Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, we need to continue to ignore these and other countries at the present time. Not paying attention to the fact that these are countries where the disaffected Muslim youths come from and countries that have the religious schools that train these youths to hate the United States.

We need to ignore these countries not because with regards to terrorism Iraq is a more pressing matter, but because we just need to go after Iraq first. That makes war number 1 something more of a training wheels war or as you say, a "baby step" war. Kind of the same way Afghanistan was a practice war, only now that we've left that country to the warlords, it turns out not to have been very good practice. As such, clearly its time to move on to Iraq.

I love the concept of a "baby step" war. It leaves all the important stuff to grow and get worse while we go after the little things. With any luck, once we go after the Iraq and leave it in shambles, the disaffected youth being trained to hate the United States in those other countries will suddenly see how wrong they are and love us because we are really nice.

War number 2 is also just as specious. That Iraq must do certain things is true. Does getting Iraq to do those things require a war, I do not think so. I'm more worried about North Korea, which we know now has nuclear weapons and, thanks to the horrible foreign policy of Mr. Bush, it has restarted its nuclear program.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only a drooling idiot would make the completely unfounded assumption that we are "ignoring" events and activities in other countries while we focus on Iraq.

You are not a drooling idiot.

Please restate your statement.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fine, I'll just assume that all those troops in the Gulf are there to deal with the countries that cause problems of terror and not Iraq.

Watch out Pakistan!

And simply put, much the same way Mr. Bush is sacrificing domestic programs, and maybe even FBI agents, to give tax breaks to SUV driving rich people in his deficit dominated budget, you can't have it all in the "war on terror"�. If you spend your time, effort and money in Iraq, then things are not being done elsewhere.

[ February 05, 2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Jay the Obscure ]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comment on this, if you'd be so kind.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2078162/

quote:
whether or not Saddam has given succor to al-Qaida, the Bin Ladenist forces around the world have identified his cause with their own. In Kurdistan they fight, at least "objectively" on Saddam's side. In their propaganda, they speak absurdly of an intervention against Saddam as "an attack on a Muslim country," as if regime change could alter the confessional makeup of the country (which incidentally has many non-Muslims and Christians and used to have an immense Jewish population). But why should one suppose that Saddam's defeat would increase the appeal of al-Qaida and, even if we knew this to be true in advance, why should it make any difference?

quote:
Let me cite two of Bin Laden's recent pronouncements. After the slaughter of Australian holiday-makers in Bali a few months ago, a statement was issued by al-Qaida that justified the mass murder on the grounds that Australian troops had assisted in East Timor's transition to independence. Bin Laden had many times venomously criticized this Australian involvement before Sept. 11, so whether he is dead or alive the point is made: The Aussies brought this on themselves by helping a mainly Christian minority regain its independence from a mainly Muslim state. No doubt this same thought helped to swell the ranks of al-Qaida in Indonesia itself, where Islam sometimes makes a good fit with local chauvinism. The conclusion would appear to be this: The wise course would have been to leave the East Timorese to the tender mercies of the Indonesian oligarchy, since to involve oneself on their side was to risk Bin Laden's ire. Is this what the recruiting-poster peddlers really want us to conclude?

quote:
if the administration were suddenly to decide that the risk of intervention in Iraq was too great, after all this preparation, then we could be sure that Bin Laden's recruiting sergeants would make this cowardice and weakness a central point in their propaganda appeal.

quote:
But to argue that nothing can be done lest it incur the displeasure of the second group is to surrender without a fight, and then to get a fight anyway. American support for elections and for women's rights would infuriate the second group just as much as American action against Saddam. There is, to put it very mildly, no pleasing some people. Nor should there be. Self-respect as well as sound strategy demands that we make the enemy worry what we will do, and not waste away worrying what he may think of us.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Let's look at these quotes one at a time.

quote:
whether or not Saddam has given succor to al-Qaida, the Bin Ladenist forces around the world have identified his cause with their own.
Yes, it turns out that both Saddam and Bin Laden hate the United States. That is, as we all know, newsworthy at this point.

quote:
In their propaganda, they speak absurdly of an intervention against Saddam as "an attack on a Muslim country," as if regime change could alter the confessional makeup of the country (which incidentally has many non-Muslims and Christians and used to have an immense Jewish population).
Since it used to have a large Jewish population, well then.

I don't doubt that Al Qaeda considers Iraq a Muslim country. Correct me if I'm wrong but having many non-Muslims and Christians does not detract from the fact that the vast majority of people in Iraq are of the Muslim faith. Adn I don't doubt that in Al Qaeda's twisted logic that it would put the United States slightly above Iraq on the "we hate them and want to kill them right now" list. If the United States were out of the picture, I would think that the more secular Mulsim states would be getting much more attention from the fanatics like Al Qaeda than they are getting at the present time.

quote:
But why should one suppose that Saddam's defeat would increase the appeal of al-Qaida and, even if we knew this to be true in advance, why should it make any difference?
Because it is beyond foolish not to deal with the root causes of the issue. The "smack down" of the bully approach means that the social, political and religious conditions are there to create any number of bullies. So we smack the next one down, another grows, we smack that one down. This could go on for a very long time.

quote:
Bin Laden had many times venomously criticized this Australian involvement before Sept. 11, so whether he is dead or alive the point is made: The Aussies brought this on themselves by helping a mainly Christian minority regain its independence from a mainly Muslim state. No doubt this same thought helped to swell the ranks of al-Qaida in Indonesia itself, where Islam sometimes makes a good fit with local chauvinism. The conclusion would appear to be this: The wise course would have been to leave the East Timorese to the tender mercies of the Indonesian oligarchy, since to involve oneself on their side was to risk Bin Laden's ire. Is this what the recruiting-poster peddlers really want us to conclude?
That's a rather specious argument. Countries act in their best interest, and anyone even near their right mind would never claim otherwise. Yet when it comes to terrorism, countries can not not carry out humanitarisn missions because of threats of retaliation. To do so would be to hand over foreign policy to the terrorists.

And yet saying so does in no way means that a country like the United States can do whatever it wants to do and have it be ok with the rest of the world. The United States is an arrogant country with the attitude that it can do just about anything and have just about everything it's way. Take our energy usage for example. We use more energy than anyone else in the world. We say that we want to stop using so much oil and creating so much polution, and then we go out and give huge tax breaks to business people that buy huge SUV's. One has to wonder what's wrong with us.

In another quote the artcle says:

quote:
There is, to put it very mildly, no pleasing some people.
That's true enough. The fanatics will find fault with just about anything. But there is clear right and wrong and the United States often talks a good game and then does what it wants to do.

You do what is best, what is humanitarian, and what is plainly evident in the ideals of being a city on a hill. You act within the ideals of a shining beacon to the rest of the world of what the world can be. You do not act as a shining example of coroprate greed, act like the American economy means more than anything else in the world, or act like preemptive strikes and nuclear using weapons are fine and what The United States of America is all about.

I recall the movie "A Beatiful Mind" where a character agrued that the best all around is what is best for the individual and what is best for the group. The United States has to learn that at some point. Do what is right and good, and there are fewer excuses for fanatics like Bin Laden. Do what is right and good and you address at least some of the core issues that create Bin Ladens.

Still, as I have said before, Islam is going to have to deal with the fanatics acting in the name of all of them. That is not something that the United States or Australia can do for them. But we can help in ways we are not currently looking at. Invading Iraq and "securing" the oil fields is not going to help secular Islam deal with the problem.

quote:
if the administration were suddenly to decide that the risk of intervention in Iraq was too great, after all this preparation, then we could be sure that Bin Laden's recruiting sergeants would make this cowardice and weakness a central point in their propaganda appeal
This one is just stupid. We have to attack Iraq because of Mr. Bush's horrible, stupid, name-calling diplomacy and foreign policy. Afterall, Saddam wanted to hurt his dad. You tell that to the families of the people that are killed in the conflict.

quote:
But to argue that nothing can be done lest it incur the displeasure of the second group is to surrender without a fight, and then to get a fight anyway. American support for elections and for women's rights would infuriate the second group just as much as American action against Saddam. There is, to put it very mildly, no pleasing some people. Nor should there be. Self-respect as well as sound strategy demands that we make the enemy worry what we will do, and not waste away worrying what he may think of us.
I'm not really sure what this one means, but I dealt with the issues above.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
Take our energy usage for example. We use more energy than anyone else in the world. We say that we want to stop using so much oil and creating so much polution, and then we go out and give huge tax breaks to business people that buy huge SUV's.
For the record:

We use more energy than anyone else in the world. However, we also produce more in terms of the energy used than anyone else in the world does. We have the most efficient production systems in the world. If you gave all the energy we use to any other country, they could not utilize it with anything approaching the efficiency with which we do things.

Your "tax cut for the rich" argument is both old and thoroughly debunked. I have already shown the IRS statistics which show that the top 50% pay 96% of the taxes, and the top 1% pay 17%. Only the wealthy remain to give tax breaks TO. The poor pay little or no taxes, so there is little or nothing to give them back.

The top consumers of SUV's are not "businessmen," but middle class families.

Additionally, you continue to misstate the size of the already existing coalition against Iraq. Stop.

Example:

quote:
Statement of the Vilnius Group Countries
For the record: 5 February 2003, Wednesday.

Statement by the Foreign Ministers of Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Romania, Slovakia and Slovenia in response to the presentation by the United States Secretary of State to the United Nations Security Council concerning Iraq:

Earlier today, the United States presented compelling evidence to the United Nations Security Council detailing Iraq's weapons of mass destruction programs, its active efforts to deceive UN inspectors, and its links to international terrorism.

Our countries understand the dangers posed by tyranny and the special responsibility of democracies to defend our shared values. The trans-Atlantic community, of which we are a part, must stand together to face the threat posed by the nexus of terrorism and dictators with weapons of mass destruction.

We have actively supported the international efforts to achieve a peaceful disarmament of Iraq. However, it has now become clear that Iraq is in material breach of U.N. Security Council Resolutions, including U.N. Resolution 1441, passed unanimously on November 8, 2002. As our governments said on the occasion of the NATO Summit in Prague: "We support the goal of the international community for full disarmament of Iraq as stipulated in the UN Security Council Resolution 1441. In the event of non-compliance with the terms of this resolution, we are prepared to contribute to an international coalition to enforce its provisions and the disarmament of Iraq."

The clear and present danger posed by the Saddam Hussein's regime requires a united response from the community of democracies. We call upon the U.N. Security Council to take the necessary and appropriate action in response to Iraq's continuing threat to international peace and security.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is beyond foolish not to deal with the root causes of the issue.

The root cause is that these people are stupid, and refuse to learn the tennants of their own religion. Just what do you suggest we do about that?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

I suggest we spell it "tenets." It's a start. [Wink]
Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the joys of sinus infections. Thanks. [Big Grin]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it's a cold that causes you to use double letters where only one belongs?

You are the logic king!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Member # 91

I don't believe I said that.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this case, as painful as it is, I have to agree w/ Omega. He didn't say that. He said it was a sinus infection that causes him to type double letters where only one belongs.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Romania, and Slovakia. Saddam must really be worried now.

But seriously, that was a great non-answer answer.

quote:
The root cause is that these people are stupid, and refuse to learn the tennants of their own religion.
Simplistic.

quote:
Just what do you suggest we do about that?
Assuming that all terrorists are Muslim and religious, I'm not sure, how about we attack Iraq?

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Romania, and Slovakia. Saddam must really be worried now.
not to mention us and Spain and whichever over countries signed the letter supporting you (but whose main purpose was to piss off the Franco-German Axis- which it did immensly [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

"If we are an arrogant nation, they will resent us. If we're a humble nation, but strong, they'll welcome us."

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps