Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Dancing in the streets of Baghdad (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dancing in the streets of Baghdad
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do the 'Regime Change!'

quote:
In central Baghdad's Firdos Square, cheering and chanting Iraqis danced atop a toppled statue of Saddam, dragged off its massive stone base by U.S. Marines in a tank recovery vehicle.

The Iraqis broke the statue into pieces and dragged its head through the streets, while others -- including children -- pounded it with shoes, an act considered a supreme insult in the Arab world.

"We thought we were going to get a lot of resistance, but we never did, so we just kept pushing and pushing until we got here," said Cpl. Steven Harris with the Marines in the square.

quote:
In the Baghdad suburb of Saddam City, residents took to the streets, celebrating the apparent end of the Iraqi regime. A Shiite Muslim leader told a group of 400 to 500 people, "The tyrant of the world is finished, thanks to the coalition. Thank God for Iraq the victorious."

quote:
Dozens of people were seen hauling off furniture, fixtures and office supplies, using wheelbarrows and pickups, with no security forces to stop them. Others ripped down posters of Saddam and destroyed them -- kicking, punching and spitting on the pictures.

quote:
Residents in the northern Iraqi city of Erbil spilled out onto the streets as well in passionate but less-raucous demonstrations, waving flags, tossing confetti and chanting.

At a briefing Wednesday at U.S. Central Command headquarters in Qatar, Brig. Gen. Vincent Brooks said coalition officials were somewhat concerned about the unrest but said they believe it will "settle down in due time."

"I think in this case we're seeing a lot of jubilation and people who have long been oppressed for years and years having choices," Brooks said.

Keeping tempo with that American BSD...

And trust the university crowd to still be in denial...

quote:
Two miles away from the celebration in Firdos Square, a Marine column moving into Baghdad from the east came under heavy fire Wednesday afternoon at Baghdad University.

CNN Correspondent Martin Savidge, embedded with the 1st Marines, 7th Battalion, said the university campus was a battlefield at one point, with black smoke rising from several buildings and machine-gun fire ripping around the fighting vehicles. (Full story)

The firefight erupted, Savidge said, suddenly after a long stretch of road where Iraqis gathered on street corners to cheer on the Marines.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meanwhile, the 3rd Infantry Division laid claim to the harem room in Saddam's Presidential Palace. A military spokesman was quoted as saying, "Finders keepers, muthafucka."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm... Room full of hot Arabic women... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Later this week Arab TV will have Minister Magoo stating that Baghdad is still under their control and that the Army did push a few units in to the city for hollow propaganda purposes, but they are being crushed even now....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the U.S. Marines showered in Saddam's palace.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing the pictures of the Iraqis cheering in the streets is really making me think that we're actually doing something right, from the beginning. I was never really a subscriber of the French/German point of view that inspections had been dragging on almost indefinitely, though I still wish that more of an international consensus had been built before the invasion started. But now, I'm starting to think that that doesn't really matter as much -- the sights of Iraqis cheering as the statue topples, as the prisons are opened, how millions of lives are being brightened because of this. I think -- I hope -- it's worth it. I think we've done something good for a change.

I'm fully prepared to share a meal of crow, here and now. Figuratively speaking, that is. [Wink]

I just hope that we can follow up on this and really free Iraq, rather than just remove one hated dictator and leave a power vacuum -- or worse, an ineffective new government.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll only figuratively eat crow if and only if the Americans find hard proof of Weapons of mass destruction. Not traces, but perhaps barrels would be nice.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, a healthy, well-fed crow, lightly killed and prepared in a pot with mushrooms, onions, buillon and red wine.
Would work, I think. :-)

Re: Harem, I think that's outdated.
I've read many arab men mostly keep the women for babymaking and house chores and reserve the pleasure for other men.
The men walk hand in hand down there with their friends, you know. Very cute.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, where are the WMDs?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give them a chance, they haven't had time to plant them convincingly yet.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine went to Egypt for a Bright Star exercise while in the Army, and said that is what the Egyptian soldiers said, 'Women are for making babies, men are for pleasure.' One of the guys in his squad was the object of their desire, scared the crap out of the kid.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
I'll only figuratively eat crow if and only if the Americans find hard proof of Weapons of mass destruction. Not traces, but perhaps barrels would be nice.

Well, that's actually what I'm saying. Looking at the reactions from the Iraqi people themselves, I'm not so sure that the WMDs are as important.

Sure, the global political ramifications are still important -- it'd be a hell of an embarrassment if Bush and his gang can't prove that Saddam had those weapons -- but as far as moral and humanitarian considerations go, I think it's still worth it.

That's what some of the pro-war advocates have been saying all along -- that we should go in simply because it's the right thing to do, to get rid of a brutal dictator, WMDs or no. That's why I expect to see First drop by to gloat shortly. [Razz]

(Note: My acknowledgement of the apparent necessity of the invasion is not intended to convey support for the politics of the Bush administration, nor for his conduct in the international arena. I'm simply acknowledging that I think now that it's a good thing that we have gone in.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"That's what some of the pro-war advocates have been saying all along -- that we should go in simply because it's the right thing to do, to get rid of a brutal dictator, WMDs or no."

And the anti-war advocates have been countering this by arguing that if getting rid of a brutal dictator were the motive for invasion, the US should be gearing up for worldwide conflict. Morally right, what a crock.

It's interesting, though, how quickly the liberation of Iraq has made its people forget past deeds - I guess after being stabbed in the back thrice, they don't sense the injuries anymore.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
And the anti-war advocates have been countering this by arguing that if getting rid of a brutal dictator were the motive for invasion, the US should be gearing up for worldwide conflict. Morally right, what a crock.
Stop putting words into my mouth, please. I'm not saying that the political reasons are justified. I'm still convinced that at least part of the reason Bush and Cheney got focused on Iraq was because of the oil. I'm still of the opinion that it would have been better to get a consensus in the UN before attacking. I'm *not* saying that the US military should attack half the countries in the world because their leaders aren't nice people. I'm just saying that seeing the Iraqis celebrating makes this conflict seem worth it. I'm looking for the positive benefits.

As far as the WMDs are concerned... considering that the UN couldn't find them, and that Hussein's people had twelve years to shuffle them around, and that so far the majority of the "coalition" troops are still in combat and support operations, I expect it's going to take weeks or months before any truly solid evidence is found, analyzed, and announced. Personally, I'm convinced they're there and will be found.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underground Nuclear Facility Found in Iraqhttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,83821,00.html
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps