Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Dancing in the streets of Baghdad (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Dancing in the streets of Baghdad
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Get that crow ready. "Fertilizer" doesn't set off geiger counters.

I have to ask: since when did Fertilizer qualify as a WMD?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he was trying to say that while all previous chemical/biological "discoveries" have generally turned out to be fertiliser, the Geiger counters going off will mean there is evidence of a nuclear weapons porgramme. Never mind that a watch with a fucking luminous dial will set off a Geiger counter.

So all in all it's a shame the Middle East (including Iraq) is such a centre for the production of fake designer items, including watches. Gulf War 2 Syndrome will consist largely of US Marines deafened by the rattling of Geiger counters. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Nimrod's comment, it's unfortunate, but UN Security Council Resolution 1337 is just an uninteresting report on the condition of Lebanon.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember, Saddam was an immediate threat to the United States because not only did he have WMD's but he was ready and willing to use them against the United States.

A WMD strike against invading forces never happened.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There could be other circumstances we know nothing of for that, but hey, the common sense that a guy like SH would get rid of his gas is the main thing....

Some security lock key pads also set them off, as do the metal discs on smoke detectors, well, the older ones from the 80's anyway, I don't know about the newer ones.

Our WsMD are stored at Diago Garcia, so that they are with in easy shipping distance.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's what 1441 said. If Iraq hasn't disarmed, then serious consequences will follow.

Which is exactly what happened. WMDs weren't the only things that qualified as forbidden weapons, you know.

Saddam was an immediate threat to the United States because...

Was the word "immediate" ever used? Just curious.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you mean Scuds? Is there proof actual Scud missiles have been fired at Kuwait, or are the missiles al-Samoud, and the reporters are just saying "scuds" because that has turned into a generic term for Iraqi missiles?

--------------------
Meh

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If America was attacking Iraq in self defence, then I should hope they were an immediate threat. Otherwise, I dunno, it might make the Americans liars or something.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not all threats are immediate.

--------------------

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ones that a country kills thousands of people over had better be. If not, that's why humanity invented diplomacy.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
International Law regards only wars of self-defence as legal. Implicit to that is being invaded or facing an immediate threat. Your administration has characterized the invasion of Iraq as the latter. I would disagree, and it would appear you do as well, Omega.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to point out that sponsoring terrorists for attacks against the Western World does constitute an immediate threat. As, just before WWII, we've been condemned for our isolationism, meaning we did nothing while terrorists attacked the others, then, as New York is the modern Pearl Harbour, we got attacked and joined in. Only this time we are being condemned for having the balls to do something about it, only awaiting the terrorist to come flooding over the border from Canada. Mexico I would have aded, but that has had somewhat decent security for awhile now. And do not try to insinuate that Japan and Islamic attacks are different, they were both designed to make America not get involved. Another common thing is that they both failed.
It is a simple fact that our governments policy is one of zero tolerance of governments that sponsor terrorism. Will I trade an Iraqi/Syrian/Iranian/North Korean/Libyan civilian for an American one, bet your ass I will, call it Nationalism, or whatever.
The battles in two counties have left how many actual civilians dead? Something like 4,000+ in Iraq, if the Iraqis can be believed. I haven't heard any numbers from Afghanistan. Say 6,000 total, makes us pretty even, plus, we have eliminated two governments that have a whole list of things that they have done. From burtal treatment of their own people to harbouring and sponsoring terrorists.
This is like the weapons ban argument. If you can find a better way to eliminate international terrorism than produce, otherwise, go to Lockerbie and think for a bit.
Yes, the US helped out the lesser of the two evils in the Iraq/Iran war, when we should have invaded both of them back then....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Careful. When you stack so much stupidity into one post it tends to topple over into neighboring ones. BUSH IS TEH NAZZI! TEH CANADAIANS INVADE @ DWAN!

Sorry, don't know what came over me there.

--------------------

Omega
Member # 91

The ones that a country kills thousands of people over had better be.

We killed thousands and saved tens of thousands. You pick.

BTW, anyone got a count on exactly how many of his own people Sadaam killed in a year, on average? Just curious.

International Law regards only wars of self-defence as legal.

Untrue. Mutual defence pacts ala NATO, the first Gulf war, the Korean war, and, coincidentally, any war undertaken under UN resolution 1441 are all examples of circumstances under which wars can be undertaken legally while not being fought in self-defense. And even if your statement were true, I would propose that it needed to be rethought due to exactly the circumstances that exist under the exceptions I listed.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW, anyone got a count on exactly how many of his own people Sadaam killed in a year, on average? Just curious.
No idea about any remotely official average per-year, but I'm pretty sure that at least a couple of Saddam's chemical weapons attacks had casualty figures higher than in this current war...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps