Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Treason? Traitorous? Or just plain Stupidity? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Treason? Traitorous? Or just plain Stupidity?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of you must have heard about the Dixie Chicks criticizing President Bush. All of you must have heard about Radio Stations in the U.S. boycotting Dixie Chicks en masse. (This isn't happening here, they are still playing at the Staples I'm at now)

The Dixie Chicks say that they were expressing freedom of speech. So also say the Radio stations, they are outraged and they won't play them.

What then, do you say about this?
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/headline/entertainment/1898145

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of days when Nixon had his little 'black list' of songs he wanted to ban radio stations from playing...fortunately Bush isn't so sinister...yet this time around the radio stations are...did Bush ever comment on what the Dixie Chicks said?

On the lighter side:
Reminds me of the time on 'Futurama'...(not to advertise)...where he is running for 'President of Earth'...and hes on stage singing "White Rabbit"...as his way of synching with the hippies... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
fortunately Bush isn't so sinister
I dunno about that; Department of Homeland Security has a rather Orwellian tone to it.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Bush said he didn't care what they said, because "they can say whatever they want." But he also said that he hasn't seen much of the anti-war public being jumped on or attacked or repressed. Which is complete BS, because we have seen all through the course of the war that people that are anti-war are ripped apart by people on the pro-war side.

--------------------
Meh

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So also say the Radio stations..."

Freedom of censorship.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll also notice that no public library owns a copy of every book in existence.

That's the difference between the right to speak, which exists, and the right to be heard, which does not.

A radio station is not obliged to play any artist's songs.

Just as a consumer is not obliged to buy their album or listen to them on the radio. Or listen to a station that plays them.

Just as a publisher is not obligated to publish an author's work (even one under contract,) as long as they get paid.

Just as not every story whose movie rights are bought by Hollywood actually gets made into a film.

Some poor deluded fools think they have the right to dissent, but nobody else has the right to dissent with their dissent.

The radio station was fully within their right sto suspend someone for violating policy, just as any other organization would do to any other employee.

Whether or not you agree with the policy is between you and the radio station. You don't have to listen to them either, you know.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Problem is that thanks to Republican relaxing rules on regulating media and what companies can own what broadcast and pring media where, if a Clear Channel decides to stop playing something then it won't get heard at all in places.

And it might not get picked up by the news station which is also owned by the big monopoly.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you can buy the album.

Y'know, I have 18 channels programmed into the radio of my car, and only 2 are Clearchannel stations. I don't think, with the proliferation of radio stations (11,915 of them [in 1998]), that your ability to hear what you want to hear at some point is in any danger except in the most remote areas.

Although come to think of it, I NEVER hear Tori Amos on the radio since I left college (and it's attendant station) behind. And there's absolutely no boycott against her. Or Weird Al, for that matter.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, when almost every corporate-owned radio station shares the political views and values of the corporate-controlled administration...

The irony is extra bitter because said stations are contributing to the same practice they sooo radically oppose.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
almost every corporate-owned radio station shares the political views and values of the corporate-controlled administration...
except the NPR, the college campus stations, etc etc etc... I love these rampant generalizations with positively no coroborrating data...

This parrot is deceased! It has ceased to be!

Domo Arigato, Mister Roboto.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I support wholeheartedly a stoppage of Dixie Chicks music over the radio, but not for the aforementioned reasons.

I mean, the little one? I want to kick her in her neck, or something. She sounds like what those saws sounds like when people play them like an instrument. All warbly and sawlike.

Cartman
Member # 256

And of those thousands of college & other stations, how many have NATIONAL coverage?

That's the whole point, the *freedom* to hear what you want to hear, which people in remote areas do NOT have.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't even listen to my college's radio station on the internet. Thanks muchly, Congress.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

quote:
FREEDOM to hear what you want to hear.
The what?

This is one of those freedoms delineated in "the freedom to make up freedoms," isn't it?

Like the freedom to throw pies at public figures and the freedom to dance in the middle of the Interstate during rush hour?

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's "prance", First, I tink you got it all hindwards.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps