Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Treason? Traitorous? Or just plain Stupidity? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Treason? Traitorous? Or just plain Stupidity?
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on Rob, that's not what we're talking about here and you know it.

The subject is a band critizing a bad president and then the corporate owned media jumping all over them and refusing to play that band's music.

The airwaves belong to the people of the United States. The government, in a sense leases them out if certain conditions are met. The government can pull the licence of a broadcaster for not meeting those criteria and lease them to someone else.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. That's legal.

2. What you're bitching about is not, nor has it ever been, one of those 'conditions,' As radio stations have been and should be free to choose their format based on whatever criteria THEY choose, as long as it does not violate the aforementioned conditions. There's a station in my town that advertises "absolutely NO rap." They have the 'right not to play rap.'

3. I take issue with "corporate media" as it discounts the many non-corporate stations which also took part. It insinuates a conspiracy without any corroboratory evidence... like the old "we invented a 200-mpg engine which runs on water, but 'THE OIL COMPANIES' suppressed it" Urban Legend.

Oh, I should point out that I heard The Dixie Chicks' version of "Landslide" on the radio a couple of days ago. It's certainly not dropped off the airwaves as the conspiracy theorists among us would like to claim. I wouldn't hear any of their other songs, as I don't listen to Country stations, (which, surprisingly, censor all music that isn't country music -- amazing!) as is my right.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.futureofmusic.org/news/fccmusicianletter.cfm

For another perspective.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. No one is denying the legality of the situation, although there may be some regulatory issues.

2. You know this how? I trust you've read FCC regulations before you posted such. If radio stations and their owners colluded to prevent airplay, that would be a reason. I'm not suggesting they did, but clearly are conditions regulations which might fit this situation.

Chosing a format, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Pop, etc., is not the same as baning an artist for manking a political statement.

3. I might suggest that stations that partook of such banning might very well be owned in whole or in part by large corporations. Or such stations might be involved in talks to be pruchased by large corporations.

It's a difficult argument for you to make that our everyday lives are not being affected by large corporations more so now than they have ever been in the past. What I argue for is that the vast majority of the population wake up and realize that they are being sold down the corporate river and stand up and do something about it.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
wake up and realize that they are being sold down the corporate river and stand up and do something about it.

We don't have to buy a Dixie Chick album, do we?

This my shock you Rob but I agree with you on this one. They made the statement, other people made another statement, it is all free speech.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

No, you don't.

Chances are that you would have even more choice though had there not been so many huge corporate merges in recent years.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chosing a format, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Pop, etc., is not the same as baning an artist for manking a political statement.

I'm curious: can you be sure that the Dixie Chicks haven't been played as much for the specific reason that the broadcasters or their superiors don't like what they've said? 'Cause based on what I've seen, at least, it seems equally likely that they haven't been played as much because people are angry at them and don't want to hear their music. Stations won't play what people don't want to hear, after all, because it costs them ratings and thus advertising money. Of course, I'm not paying all that much attention to the situation, seeing as hating country music is a hobby of mine and all, but it's a thought.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a possibility, but it would appear that while many people are calling in blasting the Dixie Chicks, I've heard that they've had at least some equal support on the other side. The only difference is that the callers to radio stations are usually part of the younger generation who pays more attention to music than the older ones who support the Dixie Chicks.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Around here, if you don't support Bush 100% you will be fired, you will be listed, and you are up shit-creek without a raft.

2) EVERY radio station around here, both the Clear Channel and Inter-Com stations are so pro-war its sad beyond mortal understanding. They only field calls from pro-war jingoistic conquering-everyone-and-rule-the-world-is-the-american-destiny crowd.

3)I'm living proof of the dangers of corporate greed. Company I used to work for merged, merged and merged again into a huge conglomerate called PACTIV. PACTIV's only goal is to flood the market with crap products. They desire to be #1 in sales volume, not quality or customer satisfaction. (They make HEFTY, SYSCO, and WALMART brand styrofoam plates, bags and food handling products... along with another 900 different brands...) To these ends, they have elimanted all forms of safety traning, machine repair and fired anyone with any kind of process knowhow.

4) That 200-mpg water-powered car? Exists. It was supressed by Big Oil. Same with battery powered cars, hybrid cars and any other non-petrol powered engine design.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That 200-mpg water-powered car? Exists.

You have evidence, I presume?

same with battery powered cars, hybrid cars and any other non-petrol powered engine design.

Um... we HAVE battery powered and hybrid cars. They suck, for the most part, so nobody buys 'em, but they're hardly suppressed by the oil industry. I mean, do you really want to drive a car that weighs 1,700 pounds, can barely hold two people and a terrier, and can get blown into the next lane in a heavy crosswind?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The basic technology for battery and hybrid technology cars has existed since the early 1980s. It was burried by the Big Oil... Simply because each one of them 75MPG cars on the road means less gas sold.

As that tech matures, we'll see it start cutting into the Big Oil profits.

200MPG water-powered cars? The technology split hydrogen and oxygen from water and burned it in an engine. Suppressed by Big Oil circa 1973. No R&D was done on it since then.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's still an independent research group diddling with it in Arizona. I'll try to dig up their name...

My big bitch is wave-generated electricity. Current estimates are that if we anchored an array of about a hundred square miles of generator buoys somewhere in the South Pacific (where no one ever goes because there ain't no islands), with our third- or fourth-generation machinery, they would supply the world's current energy demand about five times over. Bet no one heard any mention of that while we were in Afghanistan fighting to liberate Enron's pipeline...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Or about covering the Sahara desert with solar collectors, which would provide enough energy for Europe and Africa combined. Then there's the Australian Outback, the Gobi and Tarim deserts in China, the vast arid region that stretches from the Arabian peninsula to India...
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Something tells me that the Aborigines, and other desert nomads won't be too pleased to find huge patches of solar panels popping up in thier territory.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Da_bang80:
Hmm. Something tells me that the Aborigines, and other desert nomads won't be too pleased to find huge patches of solar panels popping up in thier territory.

Like all indigenous people, they wont count.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps