Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Hooray (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hooray
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1956, it is like.

< Quip >Land of the free, eh?< /Quip >

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1569, even.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing to make your day than yet another reason to despise the Bush administration.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1991 will do nicely.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just say I can tell my children I was there when America became a theocracy.

Assuming the church allows a heretic like me to have a family, that is....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm a heretic too. Maybe I should douse myself in gasoline and light a Cohiba.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you people misinterpret what Bush is saying. He is not saying Gays shouldn't allowed to be married. He's merely saying he doesn't want it called MARRIAGE. That is the debate currently going on in Massachusetts, wether or not the legal joining of two people of the same sex is a union or a marriage.

Yes, it would be nice if we could all call it marriage, but he isn't saying gays can never be joined. So really, I don't think he's doing much of anything wrong by saying this. It's merely a technicality of words.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's NOT merely a technicality of wording:
Married couples get better tax breaks, joined legal status (for emergency medical desisions and probate purposes) and most of all, the protction from idiotic and arcane laws that still stand in many states to discriminate aganst gays (sodomy and lewdness laws being the most common).
There is also the question of personal pride i being married to whoever you love and not just "a couple" forever.
I sure wouldnt accept any government telling me that I can't marry a woman I love so why would I accept them telling other americans that they can't be legally bonded to their partner?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about a scenario where homosexual couples can be legally joined, but not called a marriage? I've heard some people proposing that such a couple could receive the same rights as any heterosexual couple, yet it would not be called a marriage, but rather a civil union. They simply want the name "marriage" to be reserved for a man and a woman. Spousal rights are the last thing on their minds.

I mentioned this in the other thread. Same spousal rights, different name. What you think?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
exectly what "married" legal statuses (stati?) can gay couples not get? One can arrange for transfer of legal authority (in event of evergency,) distribution of property in event of death (a will), and probably just about anything else a lawyer will accept money for doing.

"Marriage penalty" = better tax break?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tax status & (most important probably) insurance coverage.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Social acceptability.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Legal aknowledgment of their union.
...and the "marriage penalty" only applies in some tax brackets.
In may ways married couples get preferred treatment: from buying a house to opening your own business: legally married couples are considered a better financial risk on loans etc.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the fun and wonderful ability to firmly thumb one's nose at the Catholic church [Wink]

BTW: "thumb one's nose" is one weird phrase, but it does exist. http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=thumb+one's+nose
Yay for strange etymology.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Always a good way to start the day.
....and breakfast, of course.

.....oral sex is good too. [Razz]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps