Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Hooray (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hooray
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
First off, I'd like to see you post some sources to back up these numbers. Of course, you can't because like just about everything that sprouts from your idiot-infested brain, you pulled it out of your ass and dusted it off.

One righteous smackdown coming up...

452 felons cast votes illegally in Broward
quote:
Of the illegal 452 ballots, 343 were cast by Democrats and 62 by Republicans.
quote:
As many as 75% of illegal 'felon' votes cast in Florida were cast by registered Democrats.

Hundreds of felons cast votes illegally (12/1/00 - The Miami Herald)

STORY: "Since 1868, it has been illegal for felons to cast ballots in Florida.
"At least 445 Florida felons voted illegally on Nov. 7, casting another cloud over a disputed presidential election already mired in legal challenges, a Herald investigation has found.

"The tainted votes -- found in a review of nearly half a million votes cast in 12 Florida counties -- provide evidence that the presidential race was influenced by thousands of ineligible voters. Nearly six million voters in Florida's 67 counties cast ballots.

Two Key Counties: "The majority of the illegal votes -- 330 -- were cast in Palm Beach and Duval counties, which decided not to participate in the statewide effort this year to purge felons, dead people and double registrants from the rolls ... most other counties -- including Miami-Dade and Broward" followed state law in deleting thousands of ineligible voters (felons and dead people) from the voter rolls.

The study included about 12% of all FL votes.
75% of the felons who voted were registered Democrats.
If the trend is extrapolated statewide, over 3,750 Florida felons may have illegally voted for Al Gore.
Palm Beach County refused to purge felons from its voter roles as required by Florida law.
Additional Background: These are the people police were not permitting to vote. The police were not, as the NAACP has irresponsibly charged, keeping black voters from voting.

On election night, due to complaints of long lines at the polls, police asked voters to show some ID. If their name appeared on the felons' list, the police told them they could not vote -- which is the law in Florida.

Legal Challenges: "The lapses in Palm Beach and Duval counties could become significant if Democrats win any of their legal challenges and take the narrow lead away from Republican Texas Gov. George W. Bush. Nearly 75 percent of the illegal ballots discovered by The Herald were cast by registered Democrats.

"The votes could be seized upon by the Bush campaign to argue that a large number of illegal votes were probably cast for his opponent, outweighing the effect of any recount. ``It's a very powerful argument,'' said Robert Jarvis, a law professor at Nova Southeastern University.

"Since 1868, it has been illegal for felons to cast ballots in Florida ... The provision has prompted a federal lawsuit by civil rights groups who allege it is discriminatory against blacks.

"The Herald found 62 robbers, 56 drug dealers, 45 killers, 16 rapists and seven kidnappers who cast ballots. At least two who voted are pictured on the state's online registry of sexual offenders.

"The Herald review included counties where voter lists could be obtained -- about 8 percent of the 5.9 million votes cast on Nov. 7. It encompassed all votes cast in Palm Beach and Pasco counties, most votes cast in Duval County, and only absentee votes in Miami-Dade, Broward, Lee, Leon, Hillsborough, Clay and the Panhandle counties of Escambia, Okaloosa and Bay.

"To find felony voters, The Herald compared a list of voters in those counties with a Department of Corrections database listing felons who had served at least a year in prison. If the pattern found in the study is the same statewide, more than 5,000 felons likely cast illegal ballots."

(Excerpted from the Miami Times story 12/1/00 by Times reporters David Kidwell, Phil Long, and Geoff Dougherty.)

TalkLeft.com even uses the fact to make a case to push to allow felons to vote:
(That's right, dolt-boy, it's a Left-Wing site saying this)
quote:
Our work suggests that if [Florida's] 613,000 former felons had been permitted to vote � and even if you factor in a far-lower-than-expected turnout rate than the general population � Al Gore would have defeated George W. Bush by about 60,000 votes and would have been elected president. What's more, if all U.S. felons � in and out of prison � had been allowed to vote, Gore might have carried the nation by more than 1 million votes.

That sharp pain? That's my facts kicking your attitude in the crotch.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which makes a case for FLORIDA.

Florida, Rob, you may have noticed, is not the rest of the US. Ooooh. That's the sound you're making when your foot impacts my steel crotch-protector. Did you fracture your big toe? Why, yes you did. And do you know why you did? Because you're a silly librarian with delusions of grandeur.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm watching.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I need to point out a problem w/ the use of the phrase "wrong wing". One would think that, "wrong" being the opposite of "right", "wrong wing" would be the opposite of "right wing". Which makes the "wrong wing" the "left wing". Which I don't think was the intention.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the efforts of the Wrong-Wing to turn this country into a bunch of Christian fundementalist bent on burning the wiccans, disemboweling the homos, exiling the non-whites, and silencing the dissenters

I defy you to show any remotely rational reason to believe that any significant part of this country, irrelevant of party, supports even one of those goals. Oh, and Snay? Amusing as it is to watch you two go at each other using bad physical analogies for your arguments like a couple of nine-year-olds, I suggest you shut up. Rob just pierced your argument's spleen with an ice pick, and your counter was as pointless as a basketball. Or something equally pointless. Like this thread may soon become. HA!

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Omega, Rob decided to use Florida as an example of that which is typical across the nation. As the average resident of Florida can't trace a straight line on a ballot, I hardly think that to be the case. Since those convicted of felonies cannot vote in Florida (one of ten or so states which completely disenfranchise felons) after they have served their time, all Rob has made the case for is that the incompetent Jeb Bush and his staff of cronies haven't done enough to provide for legal elections (gosh, what a surprise). Perhaps because they want to pander for illegal votes themselves. Gosh.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up. There was a voting contestion in Florida?

When was this?

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As the average resident of Florida can't trace a straight line on a ballot

Who originally claimed this, anyhow? I'm curious. Who originated the idea that the Florida ballots were confusing? But that's beside the point.

all Rob has made the case for is that the incompetent Jeb Bush and his staff of cronies haven't done enough to provide for legal elections

Disenfranchisement of felons, just like imprisonment of felons, is perfectly legal. But that is similarly beside the point.

Perhaps because they want to pander for illegal votes themselves.

That deserves a good hearty BUH? Apparently they're FAILING, if the majority of voting felons vote Democrat. Also beside the point. Nice attempt to change the subject, though.

Rob provided you with an example of a state where the overwhelming majority of felons vote for Democrats. While it's possible that Florida is unique in this regard, there is no apparent reason to believe that that state is not representative of the entire country in this matter. SO, unless you can provide some reason to believe that Florida felons are far more likely to vote for Democrats than felons from, say, Nevada...?

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
exiling the non-whites, and silencing the dissenters

I defy you to show any remotely rational reason to believe that any significant part of this country, irrelevant of party, supports even one of those goals.

A bestseller, I believe. Certainly fits under "exiling the non-whites, and silencing the dissenters" and while to my knowledge there's no chapter entitled "Disemboweling Homos," there's so much of that between the lines that the book won't close properly.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Member # 91

I would point out that not all best-selling books are believed by those who buy them. They're bought because of name recognition, not for content. "Living History", for a random example. [Wink]

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega: Show me even one example of that.
Tom: OK, here!
Omega: Yes, but that's just one example. . .

8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Member # 91

No.

Me: Give me evidence of X.
Tom: Here's something that could be evidence of X.
Me: Yes, but it isn't necessarily.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up. There was a voting contestion in Florida?

When was this?

I live in Broward county.
There are no voting discrepancies here.
These are'nt the droids you're looking for.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Move along?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOT Florida

quote:
In an effort to keep the polls open past the closing time mandated by statute, Plaintiffs the Gore-Lieberman Campaign, William L. (Lacy) Clay's Campaign, and the Missouri State Democratic Committee filed a lawsuit in St. Louis City Circuit Court in which the lead Plaintiff (Robert D. Odom) was dead. The Plaintiffs then stated that the actual lead Plaintiff was Robert M. Odom. The Plaintiffs claimed that Robert M. Odom was not allowed to vote. However, Mr. Odom in fact had voted and had no trouble voting. As a result of the lawsuit and the representations made by the lead Plaintiff and witnesses, the St. Louis City Circuit Court issued an Order keeping the polls open in St. Louis City past the closing time mandated by statute. The information suggests that the lawsuit was not filed as a result of problems that occurred on election day, but instead was filed as a result of a plan conceived before election day. At about the same time that the court issued the Order, St. Louis City residents were receiving pre-recorded telephone messages from Rev. Jesse Jackson telling them they could vote late, and half an hour later Vice President Al Gore was telling KMOX radio listeners that the polls were still open. The purpose of these communications was to encourage persons not eligible to vote because of their failure to get to the polls on time to nonetheless go to the polls and vote.

I should also point out, for my marginally-literate colleague, that the TalkLeft article included a bit about non-Floridian felons, and made a case for a nationwide change.

Wisconsin

It is believed that as many as 11% of the voters in Maryland in 1996 were non-citizens. Maybe now we know why.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps