Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » I'm Lazy. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I'm Lazy.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because if you draw 2 curves on an "E" it becomes a "B."

Most of the kids I know learned that one in elementary school.. just find the same color ink pen that the teacher uses, draw very carefully, and voila! Your parents think you're fairly smart!

"F" is a little harder... but they should really use "X" or something.

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still makes more sense to use percentages for everything, if you ask me. Much more precise. And easier to understand...

------------------
Garak: "I do apologize. You must be incensed. In fact, if I were in your shoes, I'd... grab a bottle of champagne and shoot me." (DS9: "Our Man Bashir")

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't overcomplicate things where complication's not required.

All we're really interested in whe we hear someone's grade is:

• Did they pass or fail?

• Did they do really well or did they just make it?

the ABCDF scale gives us five coarse gradations between "very well done" and "dolt". If you want finer gradations, you can add a "plus" or "minus" to the letter grade to get (potentially)fifteen gradations ("F+" and "F-" seem particularly meaningless to me. Actually there's 13 useful gradations. If you're superstitious, stay home.)

<Reality=Skewed>The letter grade system does not allow for fine graduation because (and this is not expressly stated in the system, but only implied) teachers are, on average, DOLTS! You don't want to give some martinet too much room to maneuver, so why bother giving them a precision instrument (a percentage scale) when they will wield it as a sledge hammer? Better to give them the "sort 'em into 5 boxes" system we have today. They already have too many opportunities to scar these kids. Let's draw the line with reason.</Reality>

--Baloo

------------------
I prefer the company of those who aim low and overshoot the mark
to those who aim at heaven and shoot their fellow man in the head.
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Simon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up here all our report cards are printed by computer, effectiviely destroying that age old cheat.
IP: Logged
The Excalibur
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for The Excalibur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, my name is Ed, and I never clean.

------------------
PARTURITION

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duh! F as in Fail! I figured that out at an early age.

------------------
Think of it this way, at least we will be in prison together.
Tom to B'Lanna, upon reaching Earth and and being arrested by Tuvok.

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(the group) "Hi, Ed!"
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Ed! My name is Christopher. My favorite subject is recess.

::trips over his left foot::

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My cat's breath smells like catfood."

------------------
"Don't call me at work again. Oh no, the boss still hates me. I'm just tired and I don't love you anymore, and there's a restaurant we should check out where the other nightmare people like to go...I mean nice people, baby wait, I didn't mean to say nightmare."
--
They Might Be Giants

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The points system here is different. Here's the college 'A' Levels table.

A: 10
B: 8
C: 6
D: 4
E: 2

If you do an 'AS' Level which is worth half an 'A' Level, you just halve the points - not very complicated, and it works.

BTW Yes, passes in college only go as far as an E. After that, you have an N or a U which are both fails, but N is a narrow fail and U is Ungraded, in other words, a pitiful attempt.

------------------
The public is wonderfully tolerant - it forgives everything except Genius.

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We use:

A, +/-: 100%-90%
B, +/-: 89%-80%
C, +/-: 79%-70%
D, +/-: 69%-60%
E: 59% and below equals FAIL

Our report cards are on computers now, as well...but there's no way to hack into the system to get the grades. *L*

------------------
"Well, I dunno, Katie...I mean, it worked on the sheep and I thought why not try it on your baby?"

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to get above 60% to pass? That's crazy! It's nearly always 40% here. Here's my university grading system.

First Class Degree = 70%+
2:1 = 60-69%
2:2 = 50-59
Third = 40-49

You have to get at least 35% in both coursework and exam, and 40% overall in order to pass the module for that year.

------------------
Blackadder: I'm King *drops dead*

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, as far as a 4. scale goes, which is what UNM uses, you know what bites? a 3.9=B+ or maybe just a B. i dunno. least i think it does. pleh. that stinks.

------------------
Clones are People Two

"The Force is like duct tape: it has a dark side and a light side, and it holds the universe together"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think most UK universities use that grading system don't they Orion. Mine does.
And I've got my first exam tomorrow. Behavioural Neuroscience. Now, if I only knew more about sleep. Mmm, sweet sweet sleep.

------------------
'You want the moon on a stick, don't you?'
-Richard Herring

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can pass with a 40!? I wouldn't let anyone with less than half the knowledge of a procedure to operate on me!

------------------
Garak: "I do apologize. You must be incensed. In fact, if I were in your shoes, I'd... grab a bottle of champagne and shoot me." (DS9: "Our Man Bashir")

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps