Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Hmmm.... Fascinating. (Page 14)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Hmmm.... Fascinating.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the first time they've pulled this shit since the EU got rolling though.
If France can sell weapons to China, then all of the EU can.
So UN restrictions and resolutions are even more pointless.

Greeeeaaat.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Europeans will come crying to the US to help them when their own weapons are returned in a less amicable fashion.

Or worse... They'll start supplying both Pakistan and India.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Selling weapons to dubious regimes is something the US would never stoop to, of course.

And, really, you're not in the most auspicious position to cry foul over the UN's inadequacy, either.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO we sure arent....but for France to sell China weapons is to contradict all their prior UN rethoric about human rights violations.

France's position a EU leader makes the decision to sell all the more dubious.
Who can really veto them if they decide to sell to China or anyone else?
Do the other EU members have any say in what is sold to potential EU enimies?

What are the checks and balances in the EU?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On paper every member has an equal say in EU affairs, but in practice all the strings are pulled by Germany, France, and Britain (and Italy and Spain to a lesser degree), so you can forget about anything being vetoed unless it harms any of those nations' interests, which are, of course, predominantly economic in nature too.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Sweet: A charter member of anti-communist NATO is intrested in selling weapons to strengthen one of the few Communist countries left.

Money talks and old treaties walk, eh?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's the first time they've pulled this shit since the EU got rolling though
Depends how you define 'got rolling'. The original European Community thing (iron and steel, I think), was set up in 1957. So they have definitely done it since then! Exocet, anyone?

The EU wouldn't stop it anyway; France and Germany control the whole thing. They never pay any attention to the dircetives, etc issued by Brussels. Just look at the Growth and Stability [sic] Pact.

quote:
What are the checks and balances in the EU?

Eurocrats in Brussels produce vast numbers of pointless laws that increase red tape exponentially and further their aim of a European superstate. France, Germany and their allies proceed to do as they wish. We get screwed over.

quote:
And the Europeans will come crying to the US to help them when their own weapons are returned in a less amicable fashion
Why would China declare war on any European nation? And please, never, ever lump all Europe together as one unit again. As you may have noticed, Eurpean nations are still independant, despite the best efforts of some in Brussels and will react in different ways; look at Iraq.

quote:
Or worse... They'll start supplying both Pakistan and India
The Uk already does, although we prefer India. They have more money. We also train officers from both armies.
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No THAT is really fair... [Roll Eyes]

Funny to think that France and Germany are supposed to control the EU.
Here in Germany at least the feeling of the general public is that Brussels is controlling everything from milk quotas to what color toilet paper in offices has to have.
Fucking Eurocrats. I share the general feeling in Germany that these money-wasters should be shot to the moon...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Cartman
Member # 256

"Money talks and old treaties walk, eh?"

Yeah, just ask Bush.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
[QB] Why would China declare war on any European nation? And please, never, ever lump all Europe together as one unit again. As you may have noticed, Eurpean nations are still independant, despite the best efforts of some in Brussels and will react in different ways; look at Iraq.

Why would I do that which Europe has done for itself so effectively? Sorry, but EVERYONE answers to the WORLD BANK. And it is always the bankers that order the world.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
And the Europeans will come crying to the US to help them when their own weapons are returned in a less amicable fashion
Why would China declare war on any European nation?

Because you know, they've had their eyes on Belgium for the longest time.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they may as well. It's not like anyone else wants to look at it.
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote Monty Python: "Other News: an atomic bomb has just been dropped in Belgium. Most of the country is now a barren wasteland. Life for most Belgians continues as normal..." [Big Grin]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How very true [Razz]

quote:
Why would I do that which Europe has done for itself so effectively? Sorry, but EVERYONE answers to the WORLD BANK. And it is always the bankers that order the world.

Uh... OK. Refering to Europe as if it is one country is just something that irritates me. It is inaccurate and unhelpful. I sincerly doubt there is some World Bank inspired plot to take over the world [Wink]
Cartman
Member # 256

Belgium has Van Damme, dammit. And he, being from the only European state that was ever overrun and invaded TWICE last century by the Germans (who, as all vicious predators do, instinctively prey upon the weaker before attacking the stronger), not because of any merit of its own but because the country was less trouble to conquer than going around it was and is thus considered wimpier than FRANCE (even if this reputation is in fact not deserved by the Belgians (anybody who can get Indiana Jones to join THEIR army can't be that pathetic (and yes, I just nested parentheses))), is now immune to EVERYTHING.

The Chinese will have a tough fight ahead of them.

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps