Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Hmmm.... Fascinating. (Page 15)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Hmmm.... Fascinating.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Go Belgium.
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maginot comes to mind....

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Maginot line did exactly what it was designed to do. Belgium just happened to be the Germans' detour.
WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, send the Germans through the "Scenic Turnout" of the benelux countries.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that the line would have been effective once Paratroopers came into use anyway.

It was an intresting idea that was about 50 years too late in execution.

The sad thing is that Maginot himself was against the idea, got stuck finishing the project and it was named after him.
Now a smart man is forever associated with a useless military novelty.

History am cruel.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Maginot was the one who pushed France's parliament to fund the project. And, in fact, the line itself didn't fail France so much as the "Maginot mentality" of false security did. There were three schools of thought: Joffre favored a line of fortifications along France's eastern frontier with Germany, a series of defended concentration areas from which troops could counter any attack which attempted to penetrate between the defenses, Petain was a supported of defense in depth like the Hindenburg Line, and de Gaulle argued for a buildup of tanks and planes. But France had no stomach for mobility and attack (aka. modern warfare, which was around the corner in 1930) after losing the unimaginable amount of one and a half MILLION of its soldiers in WW1, so it went with the line and payed the price. That's the real cruelty...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stands corrected.

STill bites though: from the documentaries I've seen on the line, it would have been the ultimate WWI defense.
It even have fans to repel gas attacks.

Back to topic for a moment, I saw that the Carnegie Report on the "evidence" for war is probably going to be delayed untill after the elections to be as politically impartial as possible but they did say theres more to blame than the CIA's intelligence being faulty.

I think it should be investigated, but after the elections it'll be a non-issue if the Dems win or a vindictive witch hunt if they lose.

Also recent, the BBC is wearing a bit of egg on it's journalistic face this week...I'll try to track down a link....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would provide one, but I saw it on TV and can't be arsed looking for it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yah..I heard about on NPR this morning.
I'll find it later.

What happened to the reporter? Killed, I'd imagine.

Or working for The New York Times.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ah.
Here's BBC's brief article on the matter:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3446391.stm
quote:
In a statement Mr Gilligan, 35, admitted mistakes but defended the bulk of his story.

He said: "If Lord Hutton had fairly considered the evidence he heard, he would have concluded that most of my story was right."

"Most"?!?
Somebody needs a smack.

They give more background here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3437315.stm

So...this manages to make America's own leaks to unscrupulous reporters seem *almost* tame.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the fact that the news source you've gone to to investigate the BBC fucking up is...the BBC.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

You know, Hutton may have acquitted Blair, but I don't think anyone else in his camp will.

And what's this crap about impartiality, anyway? If BushCo DID falsify or otherwise tamper with the "evidence", then that's all the more reason why it SHOULD be brought out BEFORE the elections, don't you think?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Hutton Enquiry Thread.

Because it's big enough to need it's own, really. Plus Lee has provided handy links for those of you coming late to the game.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I love the fact that the news source you've gone to to investigate the BBC fucking up is...the BBC.

Find me another English news source to go to, please!
I'm sure as hell not going to link anything written by The Sun. [Wink]
It's a one man show over there for serious news: hence the scandal.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
And what's this crap about impartiality, anyway? If BushCo DID falsify or otherwise tamper with the "evidence", then that's all the more reason why it SHOULD be brought out BEFORE the elections, don't you think?

Not at all: it needs ro remain seperate from election agendas to maintain any kind of credibility at all: it'd be far easier to dismiss the report's findings if it appeared to be a Democrat backed witch hunt.
The timinig sucks for voters but there'll so much spin on the WMD issue as we approach the election that it shouldnt get dismissed as part of the inevitible batch of "tell all books" and interviews that only obscure the facts.

Ideally, that's what an Independant Council/ Inquiry is supposd to be for.
Otherwise, it's like the accuser acting as judge and jury.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps