Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The new Iraqi Flag (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The new Iraqi Flag
Highway Hoss
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Highway Hoss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an article on the new Iraqi flag with a picture. All I have to say is that this may be the worst marketing idea since "New" Coke. Who was the genius who decided that an Arab flag should have Israeli colors? And designing it in London? As Gilbert Gottfried would say: "What the F***?!"

--------------------
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Utterly horrible. The Iraqis should keep their original three-star flag and keep the pan-Arab colors. If they want to take out the Arabic script, that's fine, but if they want to keep it, that's fine as well.

I just hope they don't accept this one.

--------------------
Meh

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just hope they don't accept this one.
How much choice do you think the Iraqi people are going to have in that decision?

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as far as I know, it's already been "accepted" as far as the IGC is concerned. I'm sure that, as soon as the elected government comes into power next year, they'll change it back (or to something else).
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck em!
We didint even make their flag Red, White and Blue!
And we let them keep that silly moon!

Ingrates!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to be a very badly designed flag, and I don't understand the timing of it. You'd think there's enough resistance already to the occupation, without Bremer and Co. forcing a new national symbol.

First of all.. it looks like the Israeli flag. Which is unspeakably stupid.

Second.. Why the Kurds on the flag? Why not the other groups? Why even mention specific ethnic groups on a flag?

And thirdly.. the Pan-Arab colors *have* to be there.

Everyone with a computer and half an hour of time could've made a better effort.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is, everyone with a computer and half an hour of time and an understanding of the history of the region that goes back further than, oh, 1991.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have made it a picture of a monkey. Because, let's face it, who doesn't love monkeys?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care about significance of the history of the flag or what each symbol, line or colour looks like - as flags go it is just SHITE!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. at least, they'll be burning the Iraqi flag, instead of the US flag.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate monkeys. At least those little shits in pirate movies, that always do cutesy human stuff, pointing or pretending to laugh, I'd like to barbecue those little einsteins.
The date-eating one in "Raiders of the lost ark" had it coming.

Back to flags, what flag did they use first, at the beginning of Iraq's state history, in 1921?

Did they have a flag when they were called Mesopotamia, up until 1260AD?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they'll be burning both of them.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about trying to kick a guy when he's down....

This is all in preperation for making them American citizens, so they can bomb themselves silly.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Everyone with a computer and half an hour of time could've made a better effort.

But everyone else wouldn't be the brother of the IGC guy in charge of creating a new Iraqi flag. How do you say "nepotism" in Arabic?

Marian

Highway Hoss
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Highway Hoss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It seems to be a very badly designed flag, and I don't understand the timing of it. You'd think there's enough resistance already to the occupation, without Bremer and Co. forcing a new national symbol.

Well, in a way that flag is a quite appropriate symbol of the cluelessness of the people who started this whole rotten misadventure.
quote:
First of all.. it looks like the Israeli flag. Which is unspeakably stupid.

No kidding! Talk about provocative...and stupid besdies.
quote:
Second.. Why the Kurds on the flag? Why not the other groups? Why even mention specific ethnic groups on a flag?

Because the Kurds alone have supported the US throughtout this ampaign so the designers figured they deserve a little something.
quote:
And thirdly.. the Pan-Arab colors *have* to be there.

Well, the US government has never been a big fan of Pan-Arabism anyway so I am not suprised.
quote:

...plus a knowledge of vexillology (study of flags) and at least some respect for the Iraqi people.

--------------------
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps