Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » The new Iraqi Flag (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The new Iraqi Flag
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Though, personally, I'd like my Twelfth Amendment right to vote for president and vice-president separately.

Those were the days.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The resistance is using the Iraqi flag flown between the end of British occupation and Saddam's tinkering, adding words saying God is Great or words to that effect, thus reinforcing that they, the insurgents, are fighting for a free Iraq. This new flag, discussed in this thread, is coming to define those who believe in and work for the Americans and their allies.
Highway Hoss
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Highway Hoss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newark:
The resistance is using the Iraqi flag flown between the end of British occupation and Saddam's tinkering, adding words saying God is Great or words to that effect, thus reinforcing that they, the insurgents, are fighting for a free Iraq. This new flag, discussed in this thread, is coming to define those who believe in and work for the Americans and their allies.

Actually the script for "God is great" was added to the flag by Saddam himself as a means of showing he was a good Muslim (since the Ba'ath party was a secular party.)
...as for the insurgents, I am not suprised; IMHO the occupation authorites made another egerious blunder by presuming to design a flag rather than leave such a decision to any future Iraqi government. Of course as I said before, the new flag is a perfect symbol of the regard these people show to the Iraqi population...

--------------------
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Highway Hoss
Member # 1289

- posted      Profile for Highway Hoss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new article on the Iraq war, A year on from 'Mission Accomplished', an Army in Disgrace, a Policy in Tatters and the Real Prospect of Defeat. has a relavent quote concerning Iraqi opinion of the new flag:
quote:
It is a measure of how far the Governing Council is out of touch with ordinary Iraqi opinion that they should have voted to change the flag in the first place. Mohammed, an engineer trying to patch up a broken sewage pipe in Baghdad, still had time to express his fury at the change. "Of course the occupation is a disaster," he said. "We understand the Governing Council are American agents. But a man has to be the worst of collaborators to change his country's flag."
In a way though that flag may end up being a perfect symbol of one of the biggest disasters in US foriegn policy history; IMHO the neocon-artists who got us into this mess should be tarred and feathered and run out of the country...preferably to Geneva to stand trial for instigating war crimes.

--------------------
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
"I wonder how many people (besides myself) will end up voting for Kerry just to vote out weasels like Cheney?"

I, for one.

Now, if you'd just done that the last time, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Also, "dude"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Liam, a LOT of prople did exactly that last time: everyone sick of Clinton voted either for Nader out of spite or for Bush, hoping for some positive change.

Didint work out exactly as planned.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
My fear is that Kerry has NO idea who will fill those slots.

Why is that exactly?
Because I've seen three interviews where Kerry was asked that exact question and he seemed caught completely off-guard.
As if he never expected be asked at all (and after he's been so critical of the job Powell and Rice have done).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
It is a company that our 'great' VP was once in charge of, that has gotten a lot of good contracts.....

Although he swears that he had broken all ties years ago.....

Thanks Ritten, and others. Maybe I haven't been paying as much attention to your vice president's antics.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

Also, "dude"?

I think he's trying to score points with the teenage demographic - or the stoners [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
It is a company that our 'great' VP was once in charge of, that has gotten a lot of good contracts.....

Thanks Ritten, and others. Maybe I haven't been paying as much attention to your vice president's antics.
Intrestingly enough, they've gotten the same great contracts no matter who was president. Kellon, Brown and Root (Halliburton subcompany) has supplied logistics services to the Army since 1992 (Bush - not president).

They were granted a $900 million dollar contract to be the SOLE provider of logistics and support to all troops in the Hungary, Croatia, Macedonia, Albania, and Bosnia.

Of course, the whole Balkan War thing was just a front to secure pipeline routes to the Caspian area... didn't you know that?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:

Intrestingly enough, they've gotten the same great contracts no matter who was president. Kellon, Brown and Root (Halliburton subcompany) has supplied logistics services to the Army since 1992 (Bush - not president).

They were granted a $900 million dollar contract to be the SOLE provider of logistics and support to all troops in the Hungary, Croatia, Macedonia, Albania, and Bosnia.

Of course, the whole Balkan War thing was just a front to secure pipeline routes to the Caspian area... didn't you know that?

Explain, please...?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which part???

About Dick being a great VP?
His being once associated with Haliburton?
People not paying attention to our VP?
The various contracts already held by said company?
Or the pipeline remark?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
Explain, please...?

Well, see, Halliburton is THE biggest logistics supplier in the world. It's pretty much done everything for the US since Vietnam, and it's done the same thing for other folks as well.

Anytime one company does something more/better than anybody else, whether it's Halliburton or Microsoft, the paranoids crawl out of the woodwork looking for The Next Big Conspiracy (The Freemasons having been exposed as a bunch of old men in aprons who couldn't take over a K-Mart).

As for the Kosovo war being for Oil... I don't believe it myself, but there's plenty of ...people... who do:

Kosovo War Was Over Oil!

America�s plans to control Caspian oil

New findings reveal that NATO's intervention in Kosovo paved the way for a Trans-Balkan Pipeline

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Now, if you'd just done that the last time, we wouldn't be in this mess."

Well, not so much so. Bush won Missouri by almost 80 000 votes. Besides, I didn't know at the time that he was a megalomaniac with a messiah complex and delusions of imperialism.

"Also, 'dude'?"

I dunno. It seemed right at the time.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:

I dunno. It seemed right at the time.

The last line in most criminal confessions.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps