Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » It's about time!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: It's about time!!!
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=540&ncid=736&e=8&u=/ap/20040706/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

Now, I do not approve of vigilantism one bit, but at least someone is standing up to the hordes of guerillas who are killing innocent civilians. Let's hope others follow suit in a much more lawful way.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They probably want to kill him so they can be the # 1 baddies in Iraq. Not because of any moral issues.

--------------------
Meh

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but it's really nice to see Iraqi's getting pissed enough to do something about the terrorists making the entire muslim world look bad.

Not that becoming terrorists themselves is a step in the direction toward peace but there is a satisfaction to it all.

If they manage to kill him, I hope the fim it for their website or turn over his body to the authorities for I.D.: unconfirmed reports of his death would not accomplish much.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Violence begets violence.

--------------------
life creation in progress

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well no.....it begets a complete lack of violence on the victim's part if it's handled right.

It's revenge that begets revenge.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if violence invariably begat violence, well, then there wouldn't be much point to telling us that, would there? [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If everyone could just float like leaf on river of life.
Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Which kind of violence does not inspire revenge? Please, I'm curious.

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Violence against and in the general vicinity of half-way enlightened people.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

As in, when the twin towers came down, nobody wanted revenge? That's news to me. Although I'm not certain you were referring to Americans.

P.S. I said "inspire," not "act upon". Obviously, not everybody who aspires to vengeance acts upon it, but then vengeance comes in all shapes and sizes. Violence is merely the most obvious.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Tora Ziyal:
quote:
Which kind of violence does not inspire revenge? Please, I'm curious.
That depends on your definition of "violence" and the opinion of the reasons for ir it:
Is it "violence" when police shoot an armed gunamn?

What about a fair trial that leads to execution?

Random, faceless violence is what inspires revenge.

I've always thought that killing has become so inpersonal that real peace is less likely every year: you could be killed by a bomb and who would your family blame if there was no suspect?

They'd find someone to hate (usually an e3ntire group of someones in fact), I'm sure.
We need it to ease the loss and give some meaning to a senseless act.

Revenge is faster and less bloody when confined to the one person that has wronged you.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

quote:
That depends on your definition of "violence" and the opinion of the reasons for ir it:
Is it "violence" when police shoot an armed gunamn?

What about a fair trial that leads to execution?

I would say yes to both instances. The police has to shoot someone to get them to stop hurting other people, but that doesn't mean they're not using violence. Execution is also violence (they're violating someone's life, for crying out loud), while the trial is a form of revenge. Just because our society justifies them doesn't make them peaceful actions. I am not making a judgment about the police or the justice system (tho I do have gripes) here, but simply pointing out that what they do is different in purpose but not different in form to what we normally think of as violence and revenge, and they may incite similar consequences.

It's kind of funny that you have in your sig Newton's law "that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction," because that essentially describes what I believe about violence begetting violence. Whatever you do unto another, they'll want to do unto you.

quote:
Random, faceless violence is what inspires revenge.

I think that's what people want to belief when they'd like revenge. Like I said, revenge comes in all shapes and sizes. A girl might deliberately alienate her boyfriend for forgetting her birthday, or looking at another woman, or whatever. That is revenge. An enraged husband kills his wife. That is also revenge. Most of the time it's not random or faceless. However, it is easier to condemn a person or group you think of as an entity rather than a human being(s).

quote:
I've always thought that killing has become so inpersonal that real peace is less likely every year: you could be killed by a bomb and who would your family blame if there was no suspect?
Exactly, people don't want to look at themselves.

quote:

Revenge is faster and less bloody when confined to the one person that has wronged you.

You mean like in Shakespeare when one person kills one other person and a friend of the dead guy kills his murderer and so on until the entire town is dead by the next day? I think I learned about the futility of revenge from Shakespeare at a young age and was always wondering why people still insist on doing it.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Face it, guys: Tora is right, ya'll are wrong.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

Dude, I'm trying to avoid labeling this as right or wrong. You're not helping here. [Razz]

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally like action movies and action computer games, so I say: Bring on the vengeance.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps