Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » My opinions, five years later (Page 10)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: My opinions, five years later
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just remember that movie with Michael Douglas and Yaphet Kotto, that was a good movie. That bearded guy with the baggy eyes, who also was in "Foul Play", he's creepy in that movie.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koto?
My favorite Jem'Hadar.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THe term is "fruit from the posionous tree".
If a search is illegal, any subsequent evidence obtained in that search are inadmissable as a result.
A person could be framed easily via circumstancial evidence obtained ileagally or via planted evidence: cops want to make a case against someone they feel is guilty- allowing anything to be admitted from an illeagal search calls ALL the obtained evidence's origin into question.

While restating all sorts of good stuff, it doesn't actually give me an example. [Smile]

And while I'm typing, I should clarify my abortion position. I still believe that support and forgiveness are the best way to prevent a lot of abortions, but I also believe that late-term abortions should be illegal short of threat to the mother's life. Also, partial birth abortion is, so far as I understand the concept, inexcusable.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about this: allowing criminal proceedings (illeagally obtaining evidence) undermines any legal proceeding and no justice can truly be expected for the accused if the system itself is okay with admitidly illeagal prctices.
It would mean that investigators and the evidence gathered are held to a more lax standard than any defense the accused might provide.

The only comparable defense situation would be if an alibi were proven faked but allowed as evidence anyway.

(insrt some quote about the first link inexorably chaining us all or somethin')

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It is also nice to assume that your judge is not, say, furiously masturbating, or is awake, but these are not necessarily safe assumptions.
Can you really blame them though?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hypothetically, yes, quite vocally, with signs and angry letters.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The only comparable defense situation would be if an alibi were proven faked but allowed as evidence anyway."

Well, no. That would actually be comparable to evidence being proven fake, but admitted anyway.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Evidence obtained illeagally is as suspect as any refuted alibi.

Worse mabye....an alibi is usd for self-preservation but planting evidence or using illeagal means to get it is just going out of your way to fuck someone over.

The law must be a higher standard than the criminals it prosecutes or it's no better than them.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps. But it was still a bad analogy.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I blow a smoke ring at you, sir.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim the Merciful:
"You are a filthy, filthy leek, Ritten!" Nim Ertsop

No, no, that is just the smell of the pizza's rom my new job as a Jeff Jr. .....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps