Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » My opinions, five years later (Page 9)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: My opinions, five years later
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
Just thought of a position I didn't cover. Illegally obtained evidence should not be ruled inadmissable. Whoever obtained it illegally should be punished severely, but it's still evidence and should not be thrown out because of its origin.

That sure would make it easy to fabricate evidence, trample on human rights, personal civil rights and would make law enforcement officers criminals themselves.
After all, look at the slap on the wrist penalties for purjury....a person could be framed easily if illeagally obtained evidence were admissiable.

I DO think that some evidence should be brought into the public domain though: having to get a search warrant for a person's garbage is a bit much.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it isn't.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the garbage?

Are'nt you relinquishing any legal right over it by throwing it away?

Hmmm....something to think about though, I guess.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Throwing something away is not the same as releasing it to the public domain, nor should it be.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I never thought about that.
True enough, if people saw what harbored in my trash-bags at times, they wouldn't know whether to cry or scream.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I leave a poop with a face made of buttons in each of your trashbags, just for that very moment.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Throwing something away is not the same as releasing it to the public domain, nor should it be.

Yet...should'nt a search warrant for a suspect's apartment extend to their trash in front of it?

Currently, a warrant can be issued for either but they are usually seperate.

If grounds are found for the initial warrant, should'nt it extend that far?
I can see both sides of the argument, but from a law enforcment POV, potential evidence might be lost to trash pick-up while a warrant is being obtained.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One man's trash is another man's secret hiding place .... Shit, so much for treasure.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You are a filthy, filthy leek, Ritten!" Nim Ertsop
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I was under the impression that once you put your trash on the street it's not yours any more, and thus subject to search regardless of warrant. Don't know where I got that, though.

Can you please give me an example of how someone could be framed using illegally obtained evidence? I'm assuming here that the judge and jury aren't idiots and aren't going to believe things that are blatant lies.

Oh, and penalties for perjury should be much much stricter, BTW, assuming you weren't being sarcastic about them being weak. I'm not sure what they are at the moment, but they should really suck.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm assuming here that the judge and jury aren't idiots and aren't going to believe things that are blatant lies."

Ha!

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm assuming here that the judge and jury aren't idiots and aren't going to believe things that are blatant lies.
O.J. Simpson, anyone?

--------------------
life creation in progress

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also nice to assume that your judge is not, say, furiously masturbating, or is awake, but these are not necessarily safe assumptions.

(Also, judicial misbehavior is totally international.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:

Can you please give me an example of how someone could be framed using illegally obtained evidence? I'm assuming here that the judge and jury aren't idiots and aren't going to believe things that are blatant lies.

THe term is "fruit from the posionous tree".
If a search is illegal, any subsequent evidence obtained in that search are inadmissable as a result.
A person could be framed easily via circumstancial evidence obtained ileagally or via planted evidence: cops want to make a case against someone they feel is guilty- allowing anything to be admitted from an illeagal search calls ALL the obtained evidence's origin into question.
If investigators went so far as to break the law in evidence's gathering, how can you (as a juror) trust the source at all?

The warrant system serves as oversight to prevent having to prove yourself innocent against charges.

It's not so much that judges are idiots as that juries are idiots and need the law to be clear and strict to balance their opinions and biases: after all, they could'nt even get out of jury duty. [Wink]

quote:

Oh, and penalties for perjury should be much much stricter, BTW, assuming you weren't being sarcastic about them being weak. I'm not sure what they are at the moment, but they should really suck.

I really agree.
Look at our pal John Poindexter: convicted of Congressional Purjury and now he's sitting pretty next to Tom Ridge at Homeland SEcurity conferences.

He was pardoned, of course.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Y'know, I was under the impression that once you put your trash on the street it's not yours any more, and thus subject to search regardless of warrant. Don't know where I got that, though.

It does seem a bit odd that you would need a warrant to search trash in front of a house...

Afterall, don't they routinely search dumpsters and landfill sites when they think that evidence may have been dumped? How would the search warrant be worded on a landfill if it all still "belonged" to their owners?

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps