Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Iraq death toll still rising... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Iraq death toll still rising...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Are the Iraqi people better off now..."

I'm going to have to give that one a resounding "not at present, but we'll see".

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While many amenities (like constant electrictity)are not up to their standanrds under saddam, consider the sacrifices so many others have made for even the chance at freedom the Iraquis have now.

It's literally the chance of a lifetime for all of those that never knew anything but Saddam's rule.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that rather depends on who you're talking about, doesn't it? I suspect were I living in, say, Sadr City, I'd prefer the government under which random mortars weren't falling into my living room, even if that did mean my leader's son occasionally beat people to death. On the other hand, if I am Kurdish then post-Hussein Iraq is, I think, a 100% improvement. On the third hand, if you've got one, if I'm one of the people who are presently doing the mortar-lobbing, my situation is probably about the same.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Although Tim is technically correct in that "British" does not include Northern Ireland (the UK being the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"), he is still being rather nitpicky, since in general conversation "Great Britain" and "UK" are used interchangably, even by the Irish. Just look at the Olympics as an example.

Also, no part of Ireland was part of the UK when Washington's presidency ended. Although George III was still king of it. But he was also monarch of a substantial chunk of the known world and unless you want to list every British possession at the time it really is simpler to stick to British.

quote:
Just because we once had an empire ourselves - and it was a very nice empire, just about the biggest of all time in fact, but all good things come to an end and hey, we're cool with that - doesn't mean we don't get to point out imperialism in others.
One quarter of the Earth's surface, one-quarter of it's population at the Empire's height. All living in (relative) peace and harmony, with an impartial legal system and security against outside aggressors. I always find it slightly ironic that black men in Cape Colony could vote ten years before the Emancipation Declaration.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I always find it slightly ironic that black men in Cape Colony could vote ten years before the Emancipation Declaration.
Are you talking about the Emancipation Proclamation?

If so, that particular document didn't grant the franchise.

That would be the Fourteenth Amendment which was ratified in 1868.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I know, but black men could still vote 10 years before it. The Emancipation proclamation didn't even end slavery in the US.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Yeah, I know, but black men could still vote 10 years before it.

Certainly not slaves and they continued to have problems with old Jim Crow for a years after the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment as well.

Not to mention present day Florida. [Wink]

quote:
The Emancipation proclamation didn't even end slavery in the US.
You're telling me this like I didn't know. [Razz]

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason- the idea that they are 'better off' in terms of living and safety is subjective at best. What you should say is that they are theoretically better off under the law. Then you have to figure out if that means anything at the moment.

In the long run, I hope it will.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dammit! I go away for a week, and we start talking about Iraq--something that I'm good at. We're already off topic. Grrrrr [Mad]

--------------------
Meh

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So say something intelligent then [Wink]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"On the other hand, if I am Kurdish then post-Hussein Iraq is, I think, a 100% improvement."

My understanding is that SH had no control over Iraqi Kurdistan since the end of Gulf War I. The "no-fly zones" or whatnot.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Yeah, I know, but black men could still vote 10 years before it.

Certainly not slaves and they continued to have problems with old Jim Crow for a years after the ratification of the Fourteenth Amendment as well.

Not to mention present day Florida. [Wink]

Voting snafus aside, Florida is pretty equal to blacks: both black and white americans are in increasing minority the further south you travel here: does wonders for race relations. [Big Grin]

Oddly, there's still plenty of racism further north in the "bible belt".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
Originally posted by Daryus Aden:
Jason- the idea that they are 'better off' in terms of living and safety is subjective at best. What you should say is that they are theoretically better off under the law. Then you have to figure out if that means anything at the moment.

Here's something to consider.

And here are the accompanying photos.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a point, Tim. However, I think the point more or less stands. Hypothetical Kurdistan is in better shape without Hussein. (In fact, one could argue that northern Iraq after Gulf War 1 was already post-Hussein, I guess.)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Jay the Obscure:
quote:
Originally posted by Daryus Aden:

Here's something to consider.

And here are the accompanying photos.

That's sickening, Jay....and it only show that the US cant chapperone another country.
At best we can advise them now- their soverignty allows them to act like asses.
Mabye the first elected government will do away with this kind of prisoner abuse.

Yeah, right. [Confused]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps