Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Tonight's debate. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Tonight's debate.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G2k: Do you work for Fox News, or something? Did you even watch the same debate I did? I didn't see any of what you're talking about. Kerry was making coherent, sensible, consistent statements. When Bush wasn't rolling his eyes or doing the old deer-in-headlights stare, he was mostly repeating catch-phrases.

Seriously, even Republicans are complaining about Bush's poor showing. What's this "by not getting gutter-stomped Bush won the battle"? Isn't that like when someone loses a sports game 42 to 1, and you say "well, since they didn't get shut-out, it was really a victory"?

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, TSN, Dick Morris seems to agree with him. If Clinton's own Karl Rove says it, I wouldn't dismiss it as too whacky to be believable.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's also in the New York Post, which means one should almost automatically dismiss it out of hand.

Not to mention that the very first sentence proves that he obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim, even Fox News says that Kerry did well and Bush didn't.

G2k clearly works for NewsMax... [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

To be fair, from just listening to the debate, it isn't nearly as a "clear win" for Kerry. Bush sounded much better than he ended up looking. I listened from work and on the way home, but didn't see clips until later that night...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
PRESIDENT Bush's positions on the issues aired in the debate last night are so sound and John Kerry's so contradictory that the Republican could not help but win the debate.
Gobels is looking up from hell -with admiration- at this guy's ability to twist the truth.

It's laughable.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SA Goons got it right:
http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2406

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: Did you mean Joseph Goebbels? He's my all-time demagogue superstar!
"The task of propaganda must always be to appeal to the instinct of the masses, not the intellect".

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yes I did mean Goebbels.
I try not to be too familliar with the man as he sickens me.

I may try the SA drinking game come Tuesday's debate...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, so those who say "I don't think there really was a winner, to be honest, but by not getting gutter-stomped Bush won the battle" are propagandists?

Fascinating.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I was referring to (and quoting) Dick Morris of the Post actually.
TO say "I think there was no winner" is a far cry from the clearly propoganda piece his little editorial is.

Dont be so touchy! [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we have to dismiss everything Dick Morris says in the New York Post, does this mean we have to dismiss everything Al Hunt says in the WSJ as right-wing claptrap?

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I dismiss everything except the voices in my head: they have a plan.
They mentioned you specifically, David. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Sands
Member # 132

I'm glad to know I've enriched people's lives here at Flare. Hopefully for good. If for evil, maybe that's not so bad. [Wink]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"Ah, so those who say 'I don't think there really was a winner, to be honest, but by not getting gutter-stomped Bush won the battle' are propagandists?"

Well, considering that that statement is more contradictory than even Kerry is accused of being...

David Sands
Member # 132

I think what he was trying to get at there was that neither Kerry nor Bush had a zinger, but that Bush still came out ahead with only a slightly diminished lead in the electoral vote. (A good site that updates daily, and run by a liberal, is Electoral Vote.) His polls went down some, but considering that Bush was losing the expectations game before the debate (i.e., talk yourself down so you look good by comparison), he did better than bad since he did not lose on every measure of the debates.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps