Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Tonight's debate. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Tonight's debate.
Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...does this mean we have to dismiss everything Al Hunt says in the WSJ as right-wing claptrap?
In general I'd say that calling what's printed on WSJ opinion page right-wing claptrap, might be too kind.

--------------------
Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war.
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

You're just babbling incoherently.
~C. Montgomery Burns

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jay, try watching an episode or two of The Capital Gang and I think you would find that not all members of the WSJ are conservatives or Republicans (or libertarians).

Perhaps I've been shadow boxing too much with what I'm trying to say. Most prominent editorial boards have someone from the other side. Examples are Nat Hentoff on the Washington Times, George Will on the Washington Post, David Brooks on the New York Times, and Alan Colmes on Fox News. Simply because someone like Dick Morris, a known liberal, writes a column for a conservative newspaper does not mean that his message was corrupted or pressured by his coworkers. Therefore, I don't buy TSN's criticism of his column where he said the debate was a draw in aggregate. I wouldn't deny that it's possible, but before someone with as independent spirit as Dick Morris is judged to be coerced, I'd like to see some more evidence.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Sands:
Jay, try watching an episode or two of The Capital Gang and I think you would find that not all members of the WSJ are conservatives or Republicans (or libertarians).

I see you've edited. [Smile]

Anyway...

Come now, you're smart enough to know a caveat when you see one. [Wink]

And you're also smart enough to know that my post was about the opinion page at the WSJ, so talking about the WSJ as a whole, is a misdirection.

And besides, anything the Capital Gang's only...a sample size of one?...WSJ member, Al Hunt, brings to the table is rendered unintelligible because I'm too busy retching when the camera turn to Robert Novak.

I'll have more to say about your look at editorial pages later...the wife and I have to go shopping for items for the new house...but one thing I find both interesting and illuminating, is that on your list of alleged editorial board equanimity leaves off the WSJ opinion page...the page we're presently talking about.

--------------------
~ohn Adams

Once again the Bush Administration is worse than I had imagined, even though I thought I had already taken account of the fact that the Bush administration is invariably worse than I can imagine.
~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I thought me calling them that was a little unfair. I was thinking of one subset of articles on that board when I wrote it and realized that didn't describe them all. Sarcasm just doesn't come through the printed word.

You're absolutely right, I forgot that Hunt technically isn't on the editorial board. I thought about it and realized he just pens articles for it occaisionally. That was a bad example on my part. I retract it. (As for Robert Novak, don't get me started...)

That said, I just haven't seen any documentation that Morris is being pressured to toe the line at the NYP. So while I cited one bad example, my core objection to TSN's criticism of using material from a liberal columnist employed by a conservative newspaper stands.

I meant to put it in a post last week, Jay, but (belated) congratulations on your house and child. You must be very proud.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I think what he was trying to get at there was that neither Kerry nor Bush had a zinger, but that Bush still came out ahead with only a slightly diminished lead in the electoral vote. (A good site that updates daily, and run by a liberal, is Electoral Vote.)"

I'm a big fan of electoral-vote.com, but bear in mind that it's just based on polls. Even the ones that are very obviously off. I mean, just look at the current projected final map. It's got Maryland, Delaware, and Rhode Island all going to Bush. Obviously, the numbers have to be taken with quite a few grains of salt, and maybe even some pepper.

Not to mention that even poll numbers that seem to make sense are unreliable, too. After all, we already know that Gallup (self-admittedly) oversamples Republicans. And SurveyUSA has admitted that they do no weighting of parties in their results at all.

So, basically, any polls or data based on polls need to be very carefully examined. Don't just accept the numbers printed in the newspaper.

"...and Alan Colmes on Fox News."

I'm not sure he helps your case. Alan Colmes is pretty much universally known to be a useless twat.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MOrris doesant need pressure from his Post bosses: all the press has been sniffing for blood for the past month and circling Kerry as the likely loser (if only not to look bad if Bush wins with his polling spread).

If Kerry's numbers rise after the next debate, you'll see many in the press reverse their opinions.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Sands
Member # 132

TSN: Yeah, I looked at the projected total today too. I had a tough time imagining Rhode Island going for Bush. I'm hoping he's going to have that software up soon to average the last three polls.

You're right about Gallup, but even our friend at Electoral Vote has said everyone might be wrong with the large number of foreign Americans voting this time. It could make a difference in Florida. I don't have much experience in polling, but I bet we're going to see some adjustments in how pollsters sample each constituency after November. The last word at this moment is that no one really knows how to get a good snapshot of what people in several key states are thinking. Frustrating to news junkies!

As for Alan Colmes, well, I can't say anything either way on that. Although I did see a respectable argument made that he might be one of the most influential liberals (among undecideds) in the media since Fox keeps bleeding the networks of viewers. I admire his manners too. No shouting guests down like other prominent journals who will go unnamed by me.

Jason: I keep hearing that the press wants a horse race (either way). I'm not sure they want to do the man in yet.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAtch CNN: they turned on Kerry right after the RNC.
It was as though someone threw a switch to "against" in their coverage.
The next day they led with "Rumors of a possible shake up in the Kerry campaign in attempt to get back on track".

My jaw was on the floor" "rumors about a possible shake up?!?

Sounded so much like FOX, I had to check the channel.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

quote:
I meant to put it in a post last week, Jay, but (belated) congratulations on your house and child. You must be very proud.
David, thank you very much.

I am.

Having a wee one alternately excites me tremendously and terrifies me....

--------------------
~ohn Adams

~Brad DeLong

~C. Montgomery Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked some of the blogs in my "Right Wing" file ... from RachelLucas.com, on Wednesday, Rachel writes:

"P.S. Tomorrow night, George Bush is going to make John Kerry look like a pure-D, grade-A, first-class jackass. And I am so positively full of delight and anticipation that I can hardly bear my own self right now."

She hasn't posted since ... must've killed herself from the shock.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking notes in that situation is so lame, though.

John Kerry: "Guys, check this out! It turns out that Bush is planning on using a 'stay the course' message in regards to foreign policy! Also he has attempted to characterize me as holding inconsistant positions."

Kerry Campaign Guru: "John Kerry you have blown this election wide-open with your fact-finding!!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I think Kerry should have just made a "jacking off" gesture when Bush was giving the same stock answers for the eleventy-billionth time.

Would've been historicaly funny.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Taking notes in that situation is so lame, though."

I'm sure they weren't permanent notes. I expect it was just a list of the points being made, so that they could address each one without having to say "and what was that other thing he mentioned?... um... oh, right".

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, OK.

But I have so often taken fake notes it has infected my very world view.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps he was just writing his groceries list?

[ October 05, 2004, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps