Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Microsoft vs Wal-Mart (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Microsoft vs Wal-Mart
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:

On another note, today is Buy Nothing day, or some such thing.

If so, I sure blew that one.

OTOH, I bought everything for me.
This year's kicked my ass and some material posessions, new clothes (Black- it just feels right) and my fifth copy of U2's Joshoua Tree are not too much to ask.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"OTOH, I bought everything for me."

I don't think that's an "on the other hand" situation. It's an "on the same hand, and even worse" situation.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, no-one is the slightest bit impressed by people who wear black all the time. All it does is make you look like you can't dress yourself.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If people who wear black look like they can't dress themselves, what do people who really don't wear clothes look like?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They look like people who can't dress themselves and can't convince anyone else to dress them up either.

In the Pacific Northwest, my Grandparents live far from everything. It used to be more remote than it is now. And so when you "went shopping" this actually entailed going to a variety of different smaller shops to pick up different things. Then Wal-Mart and Costco came in. A lot of those smaller specialty shops had to close up. They just couldn't compete. To my knowledge this had nothing to do with anti-Pacific Northwest naming of anything.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that is a pastry of another flavor....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What we call maple bars (rectangular bar-like morsels coated in maple icing) they perversely refer to as "long johns," following the example of the more benighted regions of the Republic.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know of four definitions of "long john(s)". Two of them end in "Silver". One of those is a pirate, and the other is a restaurant. The other two are a type of underwear and a type of doughnut.

If someone said "maple bar" to me, I would have no idea what they were talking about, but I would probably imagine some sort of syrup-soaked granola bar.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I do live in a blue state, and you a red. . .

(And yet Krispy Kreme is from one of the Carolinas, so I guess political beliefs have little impact on doughnut-making quality.)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Also, no-one is the slightest bit impressed by people who wear black all the time. All it does is make you look like you can't dress yourself.

Well, I dont wear just black: usually just black pants or a black shirt.
Wearing ALL black in south florida is going to lead to severe sweating.

My new black denim shirt with steel buttons is a thing of bueaty though and feels great.
Plus: long sleeves! It's dropped waaaay down into the mid-60's at night here!
Fuck the cold. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Black denim is a no-no. It just does not look good.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

StarLord
Member # 1430

- posted      Profile for StarLord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Wall-Mart is doing is different than what Microsoft did. As stated, Wall-Mart is offering merchandise at lower prices in order to get business. Not exactly the same as offering Internet Explorer free with Windows. Anyway, I think the government just doesn't like Gates so he's become a target (not that he doesn't necessarily deserve it).

Incredible Worlds
www.incredibleworlds.cjb.net

--------------------
www.incredibleworlds.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Black denim is a no-no. It just does not look good.

This looks great: not like the denim of bluejeans at all- much softer.
Kinda like cordoroy.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
A lot of those smaller specialty shops had to close up. They just couldn't compete.

Which was my original point for this thread. When it comes to MS and IE you can always download another browser, like right now I'm using Firefox. It's not like MS prevents Windows from working with other browsers. But once a Wal-Mart invades a small town, the local business can't compete and are forced out of business making Wal-Mart the only place to shop in some cases. It seems like the government is all over Bill Gates and Martha Stewart, but turns a blind eye to Wal-Mart.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason:
quote:
This looks great: not like the denim of bluejeans at all- much softer.
In 2004, only death metal rockers, gothies and bikers wear black jeans. Phood for thaut.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps