Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » Microsoft vs Wal-Mart (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Microsoft vs Wal-Mart
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
It seems like the government is all over Bill Gates and Martha Stewart, but turns a blind eye to Wal-Mart.

But Microsoft's problem was that is destroying the competition through illegal business practises. Whereas Wal-mart is destroying the competition by being, well, extremely successful.

You're doing the wrong comparison with Wal-Mart and Internew Explorer. You should be comparing Wal-Mart and Windows. Complaining that Wal-mart is stopping competition is like saying that the success of Windows is stopping a lot of people from using Linux. True, they can still download it (like you could drive to another store), but let's face it...using Windows is just so much more convenient, isn't it.

Using your domination of the market place to actively eliminate the competition is illegal. Merely being dominant is, by itself, not.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(There is some legislation aimed at the protection of free trade by inhibiting a business dominant in one area of the market from lowering the prices on its products/services to a point where upstart/existing competitors can no longer penetrate that same area/are driven out of it, but I don't know if it would apply to Walmart).
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim':
Jason:
quote:
This looks great: not like the denim of bluejeans at all- much softer.
In 2004, only death metal rockers, gothies and bikers wear black jeans. Phood for thaut.
I love me a Gothic woman, but I was talking about a button-up shirt with steel buttons.
I havbe many a pair of black pants (mostly for work), none are denim though.

I'm waiting untill tuesday to shop for others: it's a relaxing experience to be out and about while everyone else is working.
Salespeople are generally nicer as well: half the customers means half the stress for them, I guess.

They just naturally like me because my grace and charm.....or they work on comission.
I prefer the first explanation. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Well, I do live in a blue state, and you a red. . ."

Ah, but I live in a blue county in a red state. You live in a red county in a blue state. Ha.

"Plus: long sleeves! It's dropped waaaay down into the mid-60's at night here!"

You put on long sleeves if it gets below the high 60s? The hell's wrong with you?

On another topic, I wonder why StarLord didn't just say "Me, too. And here's my Web site:"? It would have saved a bit of typing.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim is right, Jason. You are clearly a freak. 20 degrees is still plenty warm enough for t-shirts, and possibly a light jacket if you go outside.

And "it's dropped waaaaay down into the mid-60s at night here"? We're lucky if it gets that high during the day.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A light jacket at 20 degrees? We are talking Fahrenheit here, aren't we? 20 is cold.

You people all need to move somewhere where the temperature actually varies throughout the year.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tempature varies quite a lot here: it's 80-85 degrees outside and 76 degrees inside.
Air so humid you can drink it and a there's always a nice breeze from the ocean.

That was today.

It was so nice outside that I skipped sleep, went apartment-hunting and now am suffering terribly as a result.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

80-85. In November. Unless your summers are typically around 140 or so, that's not quite what I meant.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I know what you meant.
I can also read your thoughts now that you've removed your tinfoil hat.
Unwise to lower your defenses like that....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
A light jacket at 20 degrees? We are talking Fahrenheit here, aren't we? 20 is cold.

20 degrees Fahrenheit is minus 6 in Centigrade. So, no, I'm obviously not talking about Fehrenheit. I already had to convert from your stupid temperature system, I wasn't going to convert back as well.

20 degrees C is exactly 68 degrees F.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

68 is okay: a little nipply though.
My work is about that cold if the machinery is not running and everyone complains.
We wear long sleeves and it's still unconfortable.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

DoughBoy05
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for DoughBoy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its 20 Degrees here or -6 if you are feeling metric today. I got my leather jacket for outdoors and am considering getting my scarf out today.

--------------------
"Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does."

"It's pretty obvious, isn't it?"

The Doctor and Sgt. Benton, in "The Three Doctors"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who are still uncomfortable at 20 (that's centigrade to all you imperial backwarders) should be deported to Siberia. In the nude. The wheenies.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I mean, 20 degrees C, that's not even throw-a-blanket-on-the-bed cold, let alone arm-frozen off-and-shattered-on-the-floor cold.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It occurs to me, Lee, that if you could hold off moving for several months you would be setting yourself up to skip winter entirely.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps